UC and Birth Certificates? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-27-2005, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you get a birth certificate for your child if you decide to go unassisted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 02-27-2005, 05:08 PM

I live in Massachusetts and am studying to be an attorney. When a professor asked me the same question, I had no idea. However, I went to the Massachusetts General Laws (your state will have the same type of reference) and looked up "Birth Certificate" which was under the heading "Vital Statistics". Once I found the right place in the index, it directed me to the particular chapter and section of the law explaining how to go about getting a birth certificate for a birth not attended by a licensed professional.
Here in Massachuetts, the mother has 30 days to go to her local town/city hall to make a sworn statement as to the child's name, d.o.b., place of birth, child's father, child's name, gender, etc. Our law does not ask that weight, length, or time of birth be recorded, yours might.
Check your state's statutes and I'm sure that you'll find the information you need.
Regards, Jenna
#3 of 23 Old 02-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
depends on the laws of your state-- call vital statistics and ask for a written copy of what they want.
often they will want proof of pregnancy and some sort of statement from either a care provider who has seen your baby or religious official.
As well as information filled out on forms, signed possibly witnessed and notarized.
there also may be a time frame that is easier to do this in and if you take longer it may be more steps and even a lawyer to accomplish.
#4 of 23 Old 02-28-2005, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Grrr... shame... it seems like I'd have to jump through some hoops if I was to do a UC. Else I'll have to homeschool my children and not take them out of the country, etc... I'll have to check, but Texas is pretty conservative when it comes to these kinds of things. When it comes to most kinds of things, for that matter.
#5 of 23 Old 02-28-2005, 01:49 PM

http://pages.ivillage.com/unassisted...bclaws/tx.html from this it seems especially easy to get a birth cert in Texas. It is similar to the laws for Arizona, where I am, but even less complicated and more easy. "Liberal" states often have the most difficult requirements for unassisted birth certificates, so I am happy that I live in a "conservative" state. Are the requirements in Texas different than what it states on that site?
#6 of 23 Old 02-28-2005, 04:07 PM

For us (we are in Tx) it was more difficult that what the web page states.

We had to have proof of pregnancy. A notarized statement from someone who saw or knew you were expecting and a copy of their ID. Or mw or dr. records.

Proof of residence. A bill in the mother's name worked for us.

Proof that the baby was born alive. A notarized statement from someone and copy of their ID or a copy of hospital records if you took the baby in after the birth.

Proof that the baby was born on that day. Again a notarized statement and copy of ID or copy of hospital records.

We had to then take all the information to the County Clerk and she filled out the birth certificate. DH signed as the attendant. Our son was born March 21, 2004 and we did not file until Sept 3rd of the same year.

I don't think I am leaving out any information that they required but you might want to check the bureau of vital statistics in Austin.

They also told me that they need all this proof because we are a border state and many illegal aliens want to have U.S. citizenship for their children.

Kasey
#7 of 23 Old 02-28-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluckyInAZ
http://pages.ivillage.com/unassisted...bclaws/tx.html from this it seems especially easy to get a birth cert in Texas. It is similar to the laws for Arizona, where I am, but even less complicated and more easy. "Liberal" states often have the most difficult requirements for unassisted birth certificates, so I am happy that I live in a "conservative" state. Are the requirements in Texas different than what it states on that site?
new rule in AZ went through in August if not filed within 30 days they want complete records-- even if you are a licensed care provider-- border issues.......

getting things easy is relative to the year and the issues--- when my ds was born uc it took us 4years to get his birth certificate - we had went to file within 10 days which was the requirement in WA then and the normal person at the health dept was on vacation, so they couldn't locate the paper work. Then we moved and I knew what the laws were and we called the health dept there and the woman a "public servant" told me we could have a baptismal certificate if it wasn't from one of those "weird religions"!!!!!!! and here I though we lived in the US.
#8 of 23 Old 02-28-2005, 04:20 PM

It sounds like it varies greatly from state to state. I just walked in and got a worksheet (same one doctors and midwives use) from the County Clerk's office. It did ask all sorts of "statistical" questions about weight, Apgar, number of prenatal visits and I just estimated ( did have some pre-natal work done with my family doctor). I listed DH as my "attendant". None of that info goes on the BC document anyway...

So, I filled the form out, took it back to the County Clerks office, waited a day for it to be processed, reviewed it, signed it, paid my $15.00 and had a birth certificate.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#9 of 23 Old 03-01-2005, 11:11 AM

In NY, it seems somewhat easier BUT the bad thing (for my point of view,anyway) is that instead of the 30 days most states give, you only have FIVE to file. I REALLY do not want to leave the house within 5 days after I give birth.
Also, in NY ,you file at the Town Clerk's office instead of the County Clerk's office (which makes it a lot easier for us since the Town Office is 15 minutes away and the County office is an hour :P )
#10 of 23 Old 03-01-2005, 09:11 PM

I'm in MI - I took the baby into the County Clerk's office, filled out the "hospital worksheet" with the required info, plus whatever statistical info was pertinent. I did that last Thurs, and they called me today to go in and sign the typed-up forms. I had to sign as both Certifier and Parent on the form.
#11 of 23 Old 03-02-2005, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

If you don't have all the required information or you simply don't register on time, is it possible that your state simply won't give you one and you'll have to suffer your child not having a birth certificate?
#12 of 23 Old 03-02-2005, 11:13 AM

I know of about 6 different families in this situation where their kids are older and they still haven't been able to get a birth certificate. All of them long stories that remind me of the movie Brazil......We were unable to get one for our youngest until he was 4 even though we did everything we could and had all the info in writing from a variety of care providers---
One such snafu even with this family hiring a lawyer it hasn't been worked out!!!!! the child was born in an ambulance, but she refused to be admitted to the hospital when they got there-- no one filed and no one has clear records.......
as a historical comment my grandparents had trouble getting their birth certificates ---
#13 of 23 Old 03-02-2005, 11:32 AM

One way to sort of get around the birth certificate is a baptismal certificate. If you child was baptised you can use this for social security card, drivers lisence and other important documents.
#14 of 23 Old 03-02-2005, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7kiddosmom
One way to sort of get around the birth certificate is a baptismal certificate. If you child was baptised you can use this for social security card, drivers lisence and other important documents.
*shakes head* Sounds like a good idea, but I'm not christian, or practicing of any other organized religion.

Quote:
For us (we are in Tx) it was more difficult that what the web page states.

We had to have proof of pregnancy. A notarized statement from someone who saw or knew you were expecting and a copy of their ID. Or mw or dr. records.

Proof of residence. A bill in the mother's name worked for us.

Proof that the baby was born alive. A notarized statement from someone and copy of their ID or a copy of hospital records if you took the baby in after the birth.

Proof that the baby was born on that day. Again a notarized statement and copy of ID or copy of hospital records.

We had to then take all the information to the County Clerk and she filled out the birth certificate. DH signed as the attendant. Our son was born March 21, 2004 and we did not file until Sept 3rd of the same year.

I don't think I am leaving out any information that they required but you might want to check the bureau of vital statistics in Austin.

They also told me that they need all this proof because we are a border state and many illegal aliens want to have U.S. citizenship for their children.

Kasey
This made me laugh a little bit, because at one point in time when I was still a child I WAS an illegal alien. I'm a permanent resident now, but will the fact that I'm not a citizen make it even more difficult for me to obtain a BC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs
I know of about 6 different families in this situation where their kids are older and they still haven't been able to get a birth certificate. All of them long stories that remind me of the movie Brazil......We were unable to get one for our youngest until he was 4 even though we did everything we could and had all the info in writing from a variety of care providers---
One such snafu even with this family hiring a lawyer it hasn't been worked out!!!!! the child was born in an ambulance, but she refused to be admitted to the hospital when they got there-- no one filed and no one has clear records....... as a historical comment my grandparents had trouble getting their birth certificates ---
Wow... now I understand why some couples decide against UC simply because of this...
#15 of 23 Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 PM

i'm glad this thread was started. i haven't been to a computer in a bit and was going to start a bc thread. and here it is!

i sent dh into the health dept to get a home birth certificate packet like katest. was able to get. (she's in vt, i think, we're in nm). i didn't want to expose myself to the possible scorn of being around people who judge what i've decided for my life. they told him they couldn't give him one and that bc's are filed through the dr or mw. so we've stewed on it for a good couple of months. i talked to a mw and she said that we had 10 days after the birth to go to the health dept and they'd file it for us since we didn't have a mw or dr. so i'm gearing up to not have the babymoon i wanted and leave home to deal with ignorant beauracratic judgements of me in a yucky office. i know another uc woman here in nm who waited a couple years to file/get a bc, even though the official time period is 10 days. apparently, we too, have the border state fear thing of people bringing babes from mexico and trying to register them as citizens.

where are you in tx? if you in or near austin, there's lots of mw's there. maybe you could find someone to file it?! having had lots of friends who homebirthed there, it sounds like a couple of the mw's would be open possibly to the idea? can't hurt to call anonymously and ask.

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#16 of 23 Old 03-04-2005, 07:38 PM

Well, I've been following along in earnest, since Wisconsin seems to be one of those "progressive" states that makes it more difficult...

We only have 5 days to file, and it must be corroborated by a birth attendant registered with the state's vital records bureau. So much for being my own attendant. AND this person must have provided pre- or post-natal care to me and/or the baby. Since I'm doing my own prenatals, too, this is looking like a pain. :

Anyone know of a sympathetic midwife near Eau Claire (WI) or St. Paul (MN) who sign the form for me?

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#17 of 23 Old 03-04-2005, 10:14 PM

no problem in indiana, twice (same clerk at health dept, she remembered me)
i called ahead, did not give name, just said that i was planning h/b and wanted to know procedure.
they sent a form asking all kinds of statistical q's. i only answered those that *I* felt relevant to getting a BC.
i refused their paternity affidavit, crossed out all the offensive questions (how many alcoholic bevs did i consume during pg? screw you...), and had NO problems.
i think i had to provide a bill to show my address was indeed in that particular county. wrote in baby daddy as my attendant, (he actually wasn't even there the first time, but, you know), it was all done by phone/mail.
i COULD have been lying!
#18 of 23 Old 03-05-2005, 02:51 AM

in north carolina (at least in rockingham county), non-hospital births have to be filed through the county health department, not the county clerk/register of deeds. in fact, when i called the rods, she had no clue what the heck i was asking about!

anyway-- the lady at county health is sending a homebirth work sheet/packet for me to fill out, and then we'll have to go see her in person (proof of live birth) after our baby is born and turn it all in. she didn't ask about my pregnancy or birth plans (except to ask if i was pregnant or if the baby was already born) and was very nice. i even have a YEAR to file the paperwork to get a birth certificate. she said that if the baby was born in a hospital, they require it be filed within 5 days. i'll need proof of residency and proof of pregnancy.

i was really surprised by both the simplicity of the process and by the health dept's helpfulness and non-judgemental nature. i was fully prepared to jump through hoops because of nc's laws regarding homebirth.
#19 of 23 Old 03-10-2005, 10:51 AM

Quote:
for social security cards you need 2 pieces of ID in order to file for one so baptismal certificate will work for one but you need a birth certificate for the other--- just went through this with 2 different couples.......
#20 of 23 Old 03-19-2005, 02:22 PM

I'm in NYS and I don't remember when I filled out dd's birth cert, but it certainly wasn't within 5 days. Once they digested the fact that my baby wasn't born in a hospital and located the proper form, they didn't give us a problem. The only hoop they made us jump through was to get a letter from the first doctor who attended her.

It's been over a year since ds's birth, and I haven't filled out a bc for him yet. : I had a post partum complication (blood clot) so I was bed-ridden for about a month and hospitalized twice (for a week each time), and then I was house-bound for months. Then I made a doc appt for him in anticipation of needing another letter, and they couldn't get us in right away. At the appt (about a month later), I asked the doc for a letter, and she said she'd mail me one, but added that she didn't think it would do me any good, because the baby is supposed to be seen by a doc within 48 hrs of the birth. This confused me, because dd didn't see a doc within 48 hrs, so I asked if it was a new law. She said that it was an old law, but after 9/11 they actually started enforcing it. Anyway, I am STILL waiting for the doc to send me the letter (I've contacted her 2 or 3 times reminding her), and I don't even know if it will do me any good when/if I get it. I am worried that I will have problems when I try to get a bc for ds.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#21 of 23 Old 03-19-2005, 06:33 PM

We assumed it would be hard to obtain ours, so we went in prepared to deal with a bunch of riff raff. Ironically, we just went in there, and filled out the paperwork, and paid, no questions asked. And they filed it for us so we could get the SS card, and that came a few weeks after getting the BC. We're in Jersey, and I've heard of other UC'rs having a hard time getting theirs, but we lucked out w/ the office we went to....the lady was new and it was her first time doing the paperwork, so she was grateful we knew what we were doin'.
#22 of 23 Old 03-22-2005, 02:49 PM

Wow, didn't know there would be so many problems with this. Guess I better get off my butt and find out what Minnesota requires.

Good thread.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#23 of 23 Old 03-23-2005, 05:51 PM

Any Canadians reg. uchb?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page