How did you prepare for your UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-01-2005, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious... how did you or are you preparing for your UC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-01-2005, 08:59 PM

cleaning up the house.. shifting the energy around ready for transition.. we set up a sacred space for baby...we will be gathering our loved ones in the space to fill it with love for baby.. we talk.. we relax.. i sleep..sleep and sleep....
and we gathered up the few supplies we *felt* we needed.. set them somewhere safe.. readied the babies clothing...i dunno.. we are reading to our kids about it..
#3 of 4 Old 03-01-2005, 10:38 PM

What a great question! And I'm not sure how to answer it! :LOL It just seems like there is so much to it. Where to start? With how I first found out an admired and respected acquaintance had done it, and my discussions with her about it? With my second midwife-attended birth that was so empowering and illuminating that it opened the way for me to understand how I could further access the instinctive part of myself? With my years of learning about normal physiological birth? It has all been an integral part of preparing to give birth unassisted. Not that I couldn't have done it without all that... but I doubt I would have.

As far as during the pregnancy itself... my preparation consisted of the following things: I wanted to experience just being pregnant, without all the thinking and analyzing and worrying, so I put all my books aside. I made it a point to enjoy myself. I ate foods that made me happy and ate as much as I liked. I slept a lot and reveled in my large round form. I actively regarded myself as being at the height of my sexuality (meaning, I made a choice to do so) and took advantage of that (as much as one can with three small children around.) I stopped sitting in the recliner. I paid close attention to how my body was feeling; if something was a bit off I was even more conscientious about taking care of myself. I took my blood pressure twice. I listened to the baby a lot with a fetoscope.

Toward the end I had a midwife friend verify what I thought were the positions of baby and placenta. I made meals for the freezer, and friends and family brought more. I bought white children's shoelaces for tying off the cord. I asked friends and family variously for emotional support or for distance, which they lovingly and understandingly gave me. I talked with a family member about her interruption of my previous birth and was finally able to let that go with her deeply felt apology. Three dear friends gave me a mother blessing which truly was a blessing, and one came again closer to the birth when I was feeling very emotional and dealing with issues of fear and death, and she showered me with gifts and love. My husband and I made the time and place to commune with each other deeply, sexually and emotionally. A few days before the birth I allowed myself to enter and stay in an altered state of consciousness.

And then, I gave birth.
#4 of 4 Old 03-02-2005, 10:25 AM

I've been purging and cleansing the whole house in preparation. We already have 4 children in a 3 bedroom house and at some point early on in the pregnancy,it occurred to me that adding another person to the family,even a little one, was going to require some actual organization LOL. So, I've been cleaning out every corner of the house...Freecycling and ebaying everything.

Of course,the bedroom was one of my major points of concentration, since I imagine we'll be spending quite a bit of time there,even if the actual birth doesn't happen there.

I have 2 boxes sitting in the bedroom,ready and waiting.One box has things specifically for the birth - old towels, a plastic mat ( which was an old Twister mat ), clamps,gloves,etc...just stuff we may need or may not. The other box is for after the birth with clean jammies for me,pads, clean sheets for the bed if they're needed...those kind of things.

We've been reading some very homebirth positive books to the kids to help them get ready.Everyone in the family made predictions...gender,birthdate,weight,etc so all the kids are very anxious to see who is closest

I spent a day cooking freezer meals to have for the week or 2 after the birth, things like calzones, soups,main dishes....stuff I or dh can thaw and reheat .

iI don't know what else really,besides just experiencing the pregnancy and taking care of myself,physically and emotionally. I've almost at the end (or I am at the end maybe LOL) and have found myself and some of my ways of thinking changed considerably with this pregnancy.

At this point, I feel like everything is *ready* and now I can sit back and relax and wait

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page