UC'rs And Newspaper Birth Announcements? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-13-2005, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I was wondering if those of you who delivered at home UC, waterbirth, or otherwise had announcements printed in the paper? If you sent a notification of an unassisted homebirth, was it actually printed for free like hospital birth announcements or did they charge you? Also, anyone have any curious reporters want to print a more detailed story of your unusual birth?

I guess it isn't a big deal to me, but it would be kind of nice to have a birth annoucement that didn't say born at "" hospital. Just curious...

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#2 of 4 Old 03-13-2005, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, I don't know about newspapers, but my son's birth certificate has the name of my hometown on it- and there's no hospital in this town!!!! I mean, there are 2 hospitals within a 5 mile radius but they're each in different towns, with different post offices.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 4 Old 03-14-2005, 12:56 AM

I just called our newspaper the next morning, and told them I had a birth announcement. The lady asked me for all the pertinent info (Baby's name, birthdate, weight, length, place of birth - I just said "at home" - parents, siblings, grandparents, great-grandparents...it ended up being rather long! :LOL), wrote it up real quick & read it back to me, and then just said "Thanks, we'll get this printed in today's paper!"
No charge at all, which surprised me, as our paper charges for obituaries. I figured they'd charge for full birth announcements, too.
#4 of 4 Old 03-16-2005, 08:21 PM

I called in mine too. No problems and no charge, either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page