do you check fht durring labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-17-2005, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've rented a doppler but don't really like to use it unless I'm concerned. Do you all listen to heart tones while you in labor or do you just do you thing? If so what exactly do you look for in decelerations and such? Thanks- Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-17-2005, 01:33 PM

No listening here to anything other than my body.
#3 of 8 Old 03-17-2005, 02:22 PM

Have you tried using a fetascope? We used a doppler throughout my second pregnancy, before I found out that the sound waves are actually more intense than with an ultrasound.

We didn't check heart tones. I think though that if there was anything I was going to do, in terms of monitoring things, that would be it. Basically what you want to listen for is anything drastically out of the ordinary; obviously a very slow or very fast heartbeat is going to indicate stress. It is normal for the baby's heart rate to drop a bit during contractions at the end, I believe, but it should come back up in between. And it likely also that you'll lose the heart beat entirely as the baby is descending throught the birth canal -- it doesn't mean the baby's heart has stopped beating, but to not be able to find it can be stressful and take the focus away from where it should be for the birth to proceed normally.

ETA: FWIW (and honestly I don't know how much it's worth ) Rahima Baldwin says 110 or 160 is cause for concern and further monitoring, and below 100 or above 180 is serious. Here also is a bunch of midwifery info about FHTs:

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/decels.html
#4 of 8 Old 03-18-2005, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so I put my self though personal hell trying to listen to the heart tones during our UC. Labor and higher functions of the brain don't go together- processing speed of heart tones fits into that category at least for me because I was the one trying to interpret them DH did not know how to hear or count them and it wasn't a place I wanted to push him into.I had a Skylar Leff fetalscope and it looks like a measuring cup and is heavy, has long tubing so you could hear. Unfortunately after a while my brain just could not take in and comprehend the sounds and participate with labor. On the other hand I could walk around the house get a drink, lean on DH and when the baby was emerging have the presence of mind to keep from tearing ask for something to keep the fluids off the floor. If you want heart tones have someone else be responsible for them. mom's job is to go into labor land and keep her self comfortable, bring this baby into the world.
#5 of 8 Old 03-18-2005, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandar
Ditto!
#6 of 8 Old 03-23-2005, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandar

totally!
#7 of 8 Old 03-23-2005, 06:27 PM

I agree, if you are focusing on technology you may not be able to listen to you instincts. Stay inside yourself and listen to your inner voice.
#8 of 8 Old 03-23-2005, 06:29 PM

I have been on the fence about this for several months, not sure what to do

we will have a doppler onhand but I don't think I will plan to listen unless I feel the need.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page