UC support thread #16 April 05 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-15-2005, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresorchid
Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask all of you whether you have had painless births.
:

uhhh no. it actually hurt a LOT worse than i expected it to... ultimately, regardless of your mental state, sometimes birth just hurts. being prepared for that possibility IMO is beter than assuming that if you are relaxed you won't have any pain.

// nak ((and BTW -- she finally is cutting teeth!!! ))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005, 02:37 AM

My dd's birth was all back labor until I was pushing, and it was definitely painful, but not excruciating. My mom taught natural childbirth classes when I was growing up, and I was raised with a very healthy view of childbirth, mainstream though it was, so I really felt like probably 90% of the pain most women experienced was from fear. Well, after Caitlin, I felt like probably 75% of pain could be from fear, or it could be from back labor! But my spirit had been prepared, and I knew, just *knew* I was going to have back labor, so I was ready for it. I think my pain was exacerbated by not being able to relax because I was just freezing!! I was so cold! The only time I wasn't freezing was when I was at the very peak of a contraction. And they didn't have any tubs, just showers, and I could NOT get that water hot enough! It just made me colder. Pushing with Caitlin hurt, because they put me on my back. (I'd been vertical up to that point) They kept asking me to push, and I kept saying no, because pushing shouldn't hurt, or so I'd been told. Her actual birth was extremely intense, it felt so much better than the back labor had felt that it was just on the edge of pleasure, but it definitely had that whole ring of fire thing going, too.

With ds, just exactly what KateSt. said! (no, I never totally agree with you, Kate! ) Incredibly intense, overwhelming almost with their power, but not what I could call painful. Some mild cramping in the beginning, which I alleviated by rocking back and forth on my glider ottoman, and that felt so good so that when we did get to the hospital, I asked for a birth ball, the nurse suggested a jacuzzi, and I was like YEAH!! Are you kidding? They almost got (for this a hospital) a dreaded waterbirth. I was NOT getting out of that tub. My poor dh was feeling so useless because I was so happy! With Caitlin, I needed every ounce of energy and encouragement he had to give. But when Jack was crowning, I was talking to him, I could feel his head, I could feel everything and it was so amazing. It was wonderful. SO powerful! (he had a big head!) But just .... not verbally expressable! No rings of fire, just one big baby boy!

But both times, I was ready to give birth again (in my brain/heart) almost immediately. Nothing ever gave me that rush or that unreal sense of accomplishing something that really truly mattered before! I LOVE giving birth. I'm sure that helps negate most of the pain! But I agree with the previous poster... definitely believe that birth can be painless, and definitely understand that yours might or might not be.. if you're not prepared for the possibility of pain, and then it comes, it can be so bewildering that it throws off your whole happy birthing experience.

lizzie

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:51 AM

Hello all! I'm finally getting into a bit of a routine and so hopefully will have more time to get on-line and get caught up. I did manage to read the previous thread, as well as all of this one, it's the replying that gets tricky, lol.

I wanted to update on us.... we've been home for several weeks now, and things are going well. Callie still has an NG tube, so I am pumping for her. She will latch on and suck, but we've not been given the go-ahead to try nursing (the docs fear she could aspirate, which I don't believe is quite the risk they think it is). We will go back to Seattle next week and Callie will have a swallow test, where she can prove that she can take fluids orally so that we can nurse.

That can't happen soon enough for me - I've now had two separate rounds of mastitis, one on each side. Just trying to do too much, I think. Other than the madtitis, I feek great! Such a different recovery from DS' birth.

Here's a quick version of Callie's birth story:

I knew late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning that this was "real" labor (I'd had prodomal labor off and on for about two weeks), and that DH would not be going to work Thursday. My contractions were getting harder, but not necessarily any more "organized". I was still able to get plenty of sleep, but my contractions would wake me up, about every hour to every other hour.

Thursday morning, I woke up around eight or so with the same sort of contractions - serious, but spread out. DH made me breakfast - maple flavored Malt O Meal (puke! I could taste that later in my labor and I seriously regretted that breakfast choice, lol). We sat together while I ate, and then I went to lay down and rest.

Will woke up and wanted to nurse, so we did, and my contractions started to get stronger and closer. By nine, I was no longer able to handle having Will near me during the contractions. Mom took him and distracted him. Hard labor hit very suddenly - all of a sudden I was LABORING!! DH was an excellent support person during this, while my mom was horrible (completely the opposite of how I expected). Mom kept coming into the bedroom and asking inane questions right in the middle of contractions (come on! Do you really need to know which kitchen towels I want you to use - right now? Choose one!), when I really needed things to be quiet.

Things went very quickly. I got in the tub for a bit, and my ctx got more intense. I got back out and was a lot better able to handle them - again, the opposite of what I had expected.

At some point, my water broke. I had put on Depends early on in the labor just in case - those things are definitely not a fashion statement, lol. I was heading into the bathroom and a ctx hit. After, I thought maybe I'd wet my pants, except I still needed to pee. I didn't feel a big release of pressure, nor was there a big gush of fluid. Jeff and I debated a bit as to whether it really was my water or not - he said it was, while I was doubtful.

By eleven or eleven-thirty, I was in transition. I asked my mom to call the hospital and find out what pain relief they have (I know they don't do epidurals here, but I have no clue what they DO offer). Mom called and then came in and told me that they can't give me anything unless I went in to the hospital. Picture my eyes bugging out of my head here. In between contractions, I yelled at her that I KNOW that (I don't know if she thought that I thought that someone would come to my house and give me pain meds or what). that she needed to find out WHAT they offer. Then she would say again that I would have to check in to the hospital and stay there, and I would say again that I KNOW that. Finally, she called back and found out what pain meds they have - she told me, but I have no clue what they were.

Around this time, I said let's go to the hospital and I'll get some pain relief. Mom said let's wait an hour (which I had told her to say. I had told her that if I said that was too long, to then get me to wait half an hour, or fifteen m,inutes, or five minutes, whatever I'd agree to. Then to talk me into waiting another five minutes, and another). So we waited. I kept saying this is too hard, I can't do this, it's too much... and Mom kept telling me I could do it, I AM doing it.

Around noon/twelve-thirtyish, I started pushing. I didn't have that overwhelming, gotta-push-or-else feeling like I did with Will, it was more of a decision to push. Well, sort of. The ctx really hurt and I sort of decided that at least if I pushed and it hurt, it was hurt that I was "controlling", if that makes any sense. So anyway, I started pushing through the contractions. I was pushing and yelling, and my mom kept saying "breathe through the contraction" and "open throat, open cervix". Finally, I could not hear it one more time and I snapped at her "I am PUSHING, Mom. I've been pushing this whole time!" THAT felt really good, lol.

I started to get a bit worried b/c I thought maybe it was too soon to be pushing (I'd only been really laboring for three or three and a half hours when I started pushing). I was almost to say let's go to the hospital for real, b/c I was afraid I wasn't dilated enough and I'd been pushing on an un-opened cervix. Just then, I reached down and felt myself bulging a bit (I hadn't thought to feel before, duh!). I had Jeff feel to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, lol, and he said "Is that the baby?".

So we headed into the bathroom (tile floor versus carpet in the bedroom) and I got serious about pushing - now that I knew it was working! I never did feel the "ring of fire" that you hear about, and there wasn't the option of breathing through some contractions and letting my body push the baby out on its own. If I wasn't pushing HARD, there wasn't progress being made. I pushed the head out, and Mom and DH said it was all smushed and fat.

DH thought the cord was around the neck, and I tried to feel, but couldn't really feel it very well. I told him to slip his finger between the cord and the baby's neck and see if there was any play in it, and I don't remember what he said about that. I just kept pushing. I wasn't really making any headway (well, I guess "shoulder" way, lol), so I tried changing positions. I had pushed the head out on my knees, kneeling on a step that we have in our bathroom. I moved over so my shoulders were against a wall, and my feet were against the cabinet. DH was smushed in beside the toilet. I pushed and pushed, and finally told DH to reach in and hook the baby under the armpit. He tried a couple times, but was kind of squeamish about pulling too hard. Finally I told him he had to yank, and I pushed hard, and the shoulders popped free. Everything gushed out, like popping a cork!

She was very floppy and purply-grey. DH didn't know what to do, so he handed her to me. I started rubbing her and talking to her. Mom asked if she should call 911 and I said yes, and had DH go next-door to get our neighbor (an OB nurse). I gave rescue breaths and did chest compression and kept rubbing her to try to stimulate her. DH was back quickly, and the neighbor was right behind him. We cut the cord and our neighbor took Callie out into the living room to work better. The EMTs got there right at that time.

Meanwhile, I was alone in the bathroom. I tried to stand up, but the floor was too slippery. I tried a couple of times and then realized that the placenta was ready to be delivered. One push and it was out. I managed to stand up and was heading to get some clothes on when DH came to get me so we could go to the hospital.

Up until the very end, the whole process was great! I think I said that Callie got stuck (when I announced her birth). Upon further discussion with my mom and DH, what I believe happened was that her cord got compressed before she was born. She was still stuck, but I don't think that was the problem. When DH thought he felt the cord around her neck, we now think that was a FAT ROLL he felt (yes, she's THAT fat, lol!). DH said her cord was "up and then down" on her shoulder area - which I believe got compressed during the actual birth. When she popped out, there was a TON of amniotic fluid (she must have been very well engaged by the time my water broke, b/c there was just a tiny trickle before) and a lot of meconium (none before she was born, which is good).

Also, when she was born, her cord was already white/grey and not pulsing. That, combined with how quickly I delivered the placenta just makes me realize even more that the cord had already been compressed - but clearly not for long, as she has recovered well.

Anyway, CallieAnne Rose was born Thursday March 10 at 1:47 pm - not quite five hours after labor started. She weighed 11lbs10oz and was 22.5 inches long. Her head and chest measured the same as DS'. She was VERY fat, though. She had (still has) fat rolls on her back and everywhere, and she has cellulite on her thighs and butt (the only time in her life that will be cute, and she can't even enjoy it!). She's almost 14 lbs already (five weeks old) and is 23.5 inches. Clearly, she's enjoying the mama milk, even if she has to get it through a tube!

Just wanted to give an update and a more thorough birth story. Someone (Linda?) had said she had some questions - if they weren't answered in all this blabbing, feel free to ask away.

Please ignore typos - holding Callie with one hand and trying to type and deal with Will with the other.

Kinsey
Old 04-15-2005, 02:55 AM

don't misunderstand me! i DO know that for some women birth can be painless... pleasurable... or orgasmic... but i let myself be convinced that fully relaxed birth -- when the mother opens herself fully to the experience -- won't hurt, and that's just not true for everyone. IMO that's like saying breastfeeding will never hurt if the baby is latched on right... and that's not always true either. :
Old 04-15-2005, 02:59 AM

wooo Kinsey!
Old 04-15-2005, 03:14 AM

Klothos, just to be clear, I totally got that you knew it could be painless. I was trying to completely agree with you, just seconding your opinion. I agree with the comment on bf'ing, too! I thought like you did, that as long as you were open and relaxed, it would just automatically be painless. Somehow, I just knew mine wouldn't be (painless) that first time, and while I can't say how I knew, if I had not been prepared for that back pain, I never could have lasted through it w/o meds, and my labor was only about 7 hours.

Kinsey! Welcome home. I'm so glad that CallieAnne is doing so well! That you're both doing so well! I hope you'll be able to share pictures of your little chunk soon! Thanks for the update!

lizzie

Old 04-15-2005, 12:12 PM

Kinsey Im glad to hear CallieAnn is home with you now

Cresorchid-- I am one of those women that have semi painless births. Now I do have back labor each & everytime but it has always been manageable 9in my homebirths). There was never a point in my recent labor where I said OMG this hurts! I did make comments on the pressure in my back but dh was awesome about providing counterpressure so it was never bad. However I think knowing what to expect and how to get thru it is what makes it less painful for me.

I would love a totally painfree/orgasmic birth but that will never happen as i am guarenteed a posterior baby and back labor due to the shape of my pelvis.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:37 PM

Cresorchid~

Just in the possibility realm, my mom had a completely painless birth with my older brother.

Then 2 1/2 years later, she had me, and I was her fastest and most painful birth out of the three she had vaginally... just fwiw.

lizzie

Old 04-15-2005, 01:37 PM

I really tried to open myself up to birth when I labored w/ ds. it didn't work at all and it just became unbearable for me. I eventually got pain meds which spiraled out of control imho. I know I could have done a few things different which I definitly plan to do this time (like stay active in labor and eat/drink, counterpressure) but I am really starting to worry myself at this point I won't be able to have a natural birth this time because of the pain. i DO NOT want to end up transfering for pain relief. help! how did you mamas get through the pain? I am starting to freak myself out over this the last few days.

kinsey- so glad to hear you are home with your sweet babe!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Yeah, it hurt! For me, I don't get to the "Ok...I'm really having to concentrate thru these now! Everybody be quiet!" until I'm 8cm. And even then, it's not horrible. The only almost unbearable part for me is right at the end...when the head is crowning. Being in the water with my last dd REALLY helped w/ the pain level!

Still reading and researching about UC. And waiting on my dh to let me know his decision. We've had a few conversations about birth in the last few days...not UC, just in birth in general. Just trying to fill him with info to empower him as well.

Pretty bummed that the lib. here only has two UC books. : There are three other books I really want to read...one I might be able to borrow from a friend after she has her UC any day now.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresorchid
Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask all of you whether you have had painless births.

I know that there are books like Laura Shanley's where she has had painless births and recounted the stories of other women who have had painless births, but is there anyone here, themselves, who can say that? Or who can say "Yeah, I had some pain during this period or that period, but it just wasn't a big deal. It certainly wasn't like the culture tells us it is."
I had a painless birth.. except for a split second when I tore as I pushed his head out. And they put a fetal monitor around my belly to which I immediately told them to take the damned thing off and tried to do it myself but couldn't figure it out so it was on for all of 5 seconds. Other than that, no pain, just exhaustion.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 04-15-2005, 08:02 PM

rainbowmoon~ My first birth was a very intensely painful experience. I would scream and the wall paper would peel.:LOL

But truley, I was scared when I learned I was pregnant again... *only* afraid of that torturous pain! And then I had Samaya, labour was gentle, and I was always wondering "o.k. it this when it starts hurting?" I never got to any pin-feeling. It was so calm and I would just adjust my position (while lying in bed, lift one leg up by my head) and the contractions were just like "rushes".

... so there might be hope for you on your second one, it happens!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:16 AM

Kinsey -- so glad CallieAnne is home with you. Thanks so much for the update, I've been wondering about you.

Well, I said my labor wasn't painful, but it wasn't blissful either (as I'd hoped!). The actual birth was blissful and euphoric, but the 13 hours prior to that were...intense work. I wasn't prepared for how utterly exhausting it would be...and maybe that was a good thing! :LOL

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

Old 04-19-2005, 03:22 AM

Hi, I'm mostly a lurker around here, but thought I'd mention that my first birth was mostly pain free (breech, 6 lbs.). Pushing felt wonderful, and the only pain was at the very end as I tore. I had very little pain with my second either who was a pound and a half bigger, but I did say to DH, "It really takes intention to enjoy this." With the second, pushing, however, was, intense and painful. I guess every birth is different. I think it was Ina May Gaskin who said contractions are "an intense sensation that requires all your attention". That fits my experience for the most part.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:05 AM

Kinsey, so glad you and CallieAnne are back together at home. she sounds like SUCH an amazing little BIG baby! Ooh! All those fat rolls are so delicious!

As far as painless birth... I do Hypnosis or Imagery (call it what you will) for my births. WIth one birth I was painless (but intense) until an hour or two that I got into a birth tub. IT HURT! But as soon as I got out, it was fine again. Then, with another birth, I was pain free the whole time and just like another poster said, I laughed as the babe was crowning.

Thank you for the welcomes everyone. Nice to see some other Nov/Dec mamas delurking, too.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arora
Kinsey, so glad you and CallieAnne are back together at home. she sounds like SUCH an amazing little BIG baby!
Me too!!!! I've been thinking about you 2 a lot.

And my 2nd birth was painless. Intense, but not painful at all. Here is the birth story if you are interested: http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...wen+unassisted

Amy
Old 04-25-2005, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

How is everybody? Our expecting list is getting shorter and shorter!

I am at 22 weeks now and feeling lots of lovely movement. Feeling lots of energy so I have been walking a lot and shooting hoops in the evenings with dh. I sure sleep a long time during the night though!
Feeling really at peace with everything just now.
Thinking of all you wonderful mamas with new babes and the rest of us still in waiting Love to you all!
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

Old 04-25-2005, 02:36 PM

howdy all-
still trying for #3 (gotta get a boy!)
In response to painless birth? My dd1 hospital was painful WITH all the interventions, dd2 UC, painless- intense but painless.
love love love

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 04-25-2005, 03:02 PM

I'm at 29 weeks and starting to get uncomfortable much of the time. My baby keeps kicking me in the ribs and it's getting more difficult to sleep. Other than that I'm doing great.

Love hearing from everyone else and keeping up with how things are going.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:41 PM

Hi! I'm 5 weeks pregnant, planning a UC in December or January.
I have already told my family and friends that I am having a UP/UC. My sister said "How are you going to know what it is if you don't get an ultrasound?" and also, "How are you going to know when you're due?" I said, it's going to be a baby and I know exactly when I ovulated. I can count to 38 on a calendar. Other than that everyone is pretty cool with it, a lot of people have said they are "inspired" or "impressed" that I'm "so brave", but some of these same people were wide awake while someone cut their uterus open! That's bravery. I'm just doing what my body is made to do. Has anyone else noticed that their UP was easier than a managed pregnancy? I haven't had any symptoms of pregnancy yet, and feel 1000 times better than I did when I was pregnant with my son, getting daily migraines. I think it has to do with being less stressed and paying more attention to eating well and drinking a ton of water.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:19 PM

Congratulations Hotmama! I have to laugh about your sister asking you "How will you know what it is?" Our culture has been SOOO taken over by ultrasounds. Your response was good. I have been so tempted to say that to people who ask me–especially strangers, but haven't. To my delight, someone else actually chimed in with "She's having a BABY" the last time that happened.

I have to wonder what is wrong with people, especially strangers, who have a need to know what sex baby your are having. Exactly what do these people plan to do with the knowledge if you tell them? Decide whether your baby is worthy of keeping? Even people who are unable to buy a shower gift without knowing are kind of off if you ask me.

anyway, welcome to the list and I hope you fully enjoy your pregnancy.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:02 AM

Hey all -

Just checking in after a bit of an absence. I've been lurking in here, though, and wasting energy in other forums I should just stay out of... Sigh.

Pain? My first birth was not UC, but assisted with a DEM. Lots of pain. I had a few hours of contractions with a persistent cervical lip, and it was maddening at the time. Baby was born totally blue in the face, scaring the crap out of my midwife, but it was only severe facial bruising. Anyone know if that kind of bruising is the kind docs and midwives refer to a "typical of asynclitic" positioned babies? I'm so clueless. My midwife didn't know. The worst pain was when I tore badly, though. Definitely the only time I said "Ouch!". The rest was not the same as injury, just part of my birth process.

I'm currently about 28 weeks now, and seem to have moved into the next phase of my pregnancy. My food intuitions are changing and I'm not quite sure about what they are yet. Today I've felt kind of separated from my body, partly because of the deeper changes with this baby and partly because the weather is just sooooo crappy today! Snow and temps in the 30s and low 40s; cloudy and windy. Brrr! Not what I want right now. I want to be out planting in our small city garden, digging up soil with my 3 year old.

I'm currently torn about what to do about a couple of things, and anyone's feedback would be great. We've had a friend offer to help pay for/rent a tub for a water birth should I want one. I've never had one, and am considering it this time. Baby #2 was a stuck the shoulders at birth and I really enjoyed warm water with dd's labor, but we didn't have a birth tub. But this time we'll have no one around to help us clean up and fill the tub, if we choose to go that route. How much trouble is it, really, to fill and empty and then clean up a tub after a water birth? I know I won't want to do any of that, and I might want to spend that time with DP instead of worrying about extended clean up. Arghh.

And we still haven't found a solution for my lack of a "registered birth attendant" to come to the house and do the heel stick for the babe and fill out the necessary paperwork (within 5 days) for our birth certificate (5 day limit after birth here in WI) after this one's earthside. And I really don't want to go to the clinic/hospital (both in the same building) with a newborn unless it's medically necessary. Just venting, I suppose, but our insurance doesn't cover in-home visits (an HMO paid by Medicaid). But we may have to, just because.

Enough venting. Glad there's still some of us around. It feels awfully quiet round here lately... Must be all those babymoons!

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
Old 04-28-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama
My sister said "How are you going to know what it is if you don't get an ultrasound?" and also, "How are you going to know when you're due?" I said, it's going to be a baby and I know exactly when I ovulated. I can count to 38 on a calendar.
: OMG! That's so funny!!!

I'm 8 weeks now. I'm just morning sick and tired. That's all. Not posting very much, but I will when I'm feeling better. 1st trimester always seems to be the roughest for me. Looking forward to a full baby belly and cute maternity clothes!!!

So, I haven't contacted the lay-MW I used for my other births. Sometimes I think I will, because my husband feels most comfortable with that. Sometimes I think I'll just wait longer. Either way, I haven;t done anything yet. I'm tempted to actually call around (TONS of lay-MW in my area) and just ask to see who is UC friendly. Maybe no one is. I know the MW we used has supported other UC births... AND I know that when I talked to her about it UC last time she laughed... SHE LAUGHED at me. ARG!!!

Hmmm... what to do. What to do!

Brandi -- I LOVE hearing about you being so active and happy! Mmm! How exciting! I'm just overjoyed for you!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:27 PM

** checking in **

Skim ~ is the heel-prick necessary (that is, required by law) and if so, can you get an exemption? if not, do you *want* to have it done?

here in california we were told it HAD to be done, and we didn't do it, and we didn't *want* to do it, so all we had to do was sign a waiver saying that we were making an informed refusal.

also, depending on what size you are, you might be able to just utilize the warm water in your bathtub/shower to help with pain... i also would have *loved* a waterbirth tub but just lazing around in my bathtub worked well for us ~ especially considering the logistics involved in trying to set up / fill / empty / take down a waterbirthing pool in a tiny little second-story apartment ~ :LOL

cresorchid: hang in there! s i remember with Elyssa, my endometriosis went nuts and FINALLY around 6-7 months stopped hurting, and i really enjoyed my final trimester... try to enjoy this time with your precious little one inside you. i found what really "worked" for me was focusing on my new goddess shape and the sensuality of pregnancy! i LOVED my pregnant yoni, my larger, rounder, softer breasts, and my full, round, fertile belly ~ these are such fabulous things! i made up excuses to lay in the bath just so i could get in touch (pun intended ) with my new shape, and tune in to my growing baby's vibes...

i'm so thrilled at the new "faces" i'm seeing here...

~ peace to all you mamas ~ gentle pregnancy and birthing vibes to all ~
Old 04-28-2005, 10:16 PM

I'm hanging in. I am beginning to feel those 3rd trimester blues–backache, an ache on the inner right side where my leg joins my torso (can't describe it any better than that). I think the relaxin is really kicking in. Every time I sneeze due to allergies, my ribs feel like they have been bruised. Ugh.

But I love my shape. I look at myself in the mirror every chance I get. I was reading about the Willendorf goddess yesterday and picturing myself as her. I even went out and bought a skimpy bikini to wear in the hot weather to the pool so I don't just DIE of the heat this summer. My breasts have at least doubled in size and my belly is big and round and firm.

Over the past week or so I have finally been able to regularly see the baby move from the outside. So while I'm giving my body a rest in bed, I uncover my belly and just watch it undulate and bounce and whatever else my little one inside likes to do to it.

I have to laugh though. I got rid of my midwife and asked a friend who is a doula to attend me so that if someone needed to call for help at any point, I wouldn't have to do it myself. The farther along I get, the less I want her there. I am really getting into being empowered to do this by myself. I am wondering whether when the time comes I will call her when I know it is too late–the way people do when for some reason they are forced to use a midwife. I am also rethinking the idea of using the birth tub/pool that a friend has agreed to loan me. I like the idea of a water birth, but it sounds like a pain in the butt to have to set up, fill, clean, etc. I'm really not sure that I will have the time to do that if my labor goes even moderately quickly. I am thinking of just using the bathtub because I know it will fill in about 10 minutes and cover me most of the way.

Hope everybody is doing well. Those of you who are near your due dates, do check in. We are definitely keeping you in our thoughts!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:10 PM

Hi ladies! All you pregnant mamas sound wonderful!
Cresor -- watching my baby dance in my belly was one of my very favorite parts of pregnancy.

Skim and Cresor, I liked the idea of a waterbirth, too, but the practicalities of it seemed too stressful. I didn't want to worry about all the set-up and clean-up, having the proper hoses, proper water temp, and getting everything together in time. So I decided to just keep it simple with a "land-birth" and it was wonderful. I learned that the simpler I kept everything, the more relaxed I was. Just my experience.

Arora, I'd keep delaying calling anyone if you're still not sure. I often think "when in doubt, don't." If you're enjoying your pregnancy now -- experiencing just you and your baby -- no need to give the magic away.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:11 PM

And Congrats to Hotmama!!! Welcome!

Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 PM

You see, I'm in the other camp. I will not birth unless I have a pool to birth in. It is so freakin' wonderful!!! Laboring on land, is just not cool, for me that is

And my 1st birth was incredibly painful, 60hrs of active back labor (nuchal hand). It was a hospital birth attended by a medwife. This birth was absolutely glorious, wicked intense at times, but not at all painful. I remember one moment in transition that I've been thinking about lately, I was saying, "I can't do this, I can't do this", and then I said, "I AM doing this" and I let out a mighty moan and opened up more. It was glorious and so empowering

Amy
Old 04-29-2005, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klothos
Skim ~ is the heel-prick necessary (that is, required by law) and if so, can you get an exemption? if not, do you *want* to have it done?

here in california we were told it HAD to be done, and we didn't do it, and we didn't *want* to do it, so all we had to do was sign a waiver saying that we were making an informed refusal.

also, depending on what size you are, you might be able to just utilize the warm water in your bathtub/shower to help with pain... i also would have *loved* a waterbirth tub but just lazing around in my bathtub worked well for us ~ especially considering the logistics involved in trying to set up / fill / empty / take down a waterbirthing pool in a tiny little second-story apartment ~ :LOL
Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts. Well, I think WI is the same as CA - in that the state says it's required but we could probably file an exemption, like we have with dd's vaccines. Thing is, I'm not sure I want to do that. I do know that I think sticking the heel of a newborn is torture. Words cannot describe how much I hate that! I almost passed out with dd when I took her in at one week to get hers done. Still researching. If we decide we aren't concerned about the diseases/conditions tested for in the tests then obviously we won't get it done. But... if either of us is immovably concerned about even one of the many tests done, then we're back where we started. Also, if the test can be performed later without the same kind of trauma to a newborn, we might decide to do that, too.
Finally, we are slightly paranoid about CPS. We are sooo deep into public assistance these days; my experience and those of others here on MDC is that it is too easy for concerned docs or others to hear that we refused something that could *gasp* save my baby's life that they call us in for neglect without a thought, leaving us to struggle with the consequences. We want to look like we are complying as much as our ethics permit. But maybe we'll just gain confidence anyway.

Heel stick aside, I still need to find someone to attest that the baby is mine within 5 days of birth. And this person must be a registered birth attendant. Sigh....

I'm ambivalent, also, about the tub. I'm not small - about 200 pounds now - but I used a very small tub in my early labor with dd and I wondered what a nice big tub would be like. But it seems like overkill, personally, for a UC without anyone else around. I'm thinking that it's not the kind of help I need, and will suggest another kind of help. Like if I can find a midwife to come to my house for a large sum of money, maybe they can help foot the bill. Hmmm....

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
Old 04-29-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skim
I'm currently torn about what to do about a couple of things, and anyone's feedback would be great. We've had a friend offer to help pay for/rent a tub for a water birth should I want one. I've never had one, and am considering it this time. Baby #2 was a stuck the shoulders at birth and I really enjoyed warm water with dd's labor, but we didn't have a birth tub. But this time we'll have no one around to help us clean up and fill the tub, if we choose to go that route. How much trouble is it, really, to fill and empty and then clean up a tub after a water birth? I know I won't want to do any of that, and I might want to spend that time with DP instead of worrying about extended clean up. Arghh.
Have you considered one of the blow up summer pools? I hear SO many great things about them and they're pretty inexpensive. I've seen links posted on them in the homebirth forum many times before. They're MUCH less expensive than the rented ones and work really well according to many people. Let me see if I can dig them up for you.
Here you go (two styles recommended just dif places to get them):
http://birthwithsol.com/largebirthpool.html
http://www.birthwithsol.com/birthpool.html
http://www.qualityinflatables.com/58480.html
http://birthwithlove.com/categories/...arian+Birthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skim
And we still haven't found a solution for my lack of a "registered birth attendant" to come to the house and do the heel stick for the babe and fill out the necessary paperwork (within 5 days) for our birth certificate (5 day limit after birth here in WI) after this one's earthside. And I really don't want to go to the clinic/hospital (both in the same building) with a newborn unless it's medically necessary. Just venting, I suppose, but our insurance doesn't cover in-home visits (an HMO paid by Medicaid). But we may have to, just because.
I totally agree with the other posters here. It is required but you don't have to do it. You can sign a waiver or in my case in Michigan. They've NEVER asked for proof. I just get the birth certificate and they never ask.
The other thing is, there may be a homebirth friendly Ped or perhaps a UC friendly MW in your area. There are a couple here that I know of here. They'll come and do a visit to do all the testing. I haven't done that but friends of mine have and really was glad that was an option.

User Tag List