What states are UC friendly, or at least not hostile? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2005, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious as to everyone's experiences

I live in Vermont. And I love it Anywho, I had a mw for most of the pregnancy and then a UC, so when I went to get the birth certificate, I put her name down as my MW, but I put me down as the one who "delivered" ( ) the baby and my hubby attended. Regardless, they sent her the birth certificate, she called them and set them straight and they sent it to me. BUT, I still think it would be completely doable to get a BC w/o her--this is a very liberal state.

How was your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oregon, Oregon, Oregon.

We rock when it comes to birth freedoms! Midwifery is legal, and licensure is voluntary, which means that anyone can call themselves a mw legally in the state!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:52 PM

I'm in Oklahoma and it's my understanding (from my friend's two UCs) that it's pretty easy here.

We didn't have any trouble w/ our last birth...homebirth w/ mw.

My friend said all she does is call the hospital and tell them they had a baby, she has to go and sign a paper and they file the paperwork. No questions asked.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:46 PM

it will vary more by county than state in most places since you usually have to deal w/ the county registra to get the cert. filed.

We're in ok too and just called the state vital records for the necessary paper work, filled it out, mailed it back and they even filed the SS# for me!!

in CA it was fairly simple in San Berdo county anyway... we called for the necessary info, they sent a packet, filled it out and appeared before the registra. It was more of a PITA than OK simply because we had to actually go to the office and wait for her to print it up. She did look at me cross because I refused to fill out the voluntary info.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:21 PM

Texas is pretty easy too.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:11 PM

CT is still in a state of shock really, not ready to react- but who knows. Perhaps it'll just be another thing that people do. kwim?

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:09 PM

I had a UC here in Michigan with my boy: on December 13th, 2004. All I did was go down to the Macomb County Clerks Office and file for a birth certificate. All I needed was proof of pregnany, proof of prenatal care (I didn't see why they needed this, and next time I won't have this), my baby (obviously!), and my husband who caught him. They were really rude at first, but when we remained friendly they started to lighten up and become cheerful. According to them they only get one or two of these a year. I also had to fill out a bunch of paperwork, but in the end we got the birth certificate : . We also had to go down to the Social Security office for his number, but that was extremely easy.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:46 AM

Hey, Zamber, I'm in MI, too. Good to hear things went pretty smoothly with getting the BC and SS card.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:24 AM

I have to second what Amyjeans said about CT. The town clerk I had to do my birth certificate stuff through was actually hostile at times and very "powertrippy." At one point when we were having complications with some of the bc crap she said "We'll YOU'RE the one who chose to have your baby at home," like I should have had a hospital birth just to avoid birth certificate complications. She said at one point "You probably won't do this againk, huh?" I let her know I definitely WOULD!

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

Old 05-04-2005, 10:52 AM

My dd was a UC birth in 1999 in Ohio. I filed her birth when she was about 8mo. I was not given a hard time at all.Just had to make an appointment,fill out the papers for the BC info(and pregnancy/birth stats).Oh and we also had to fill out an affidavit form and have it notarized.Affidavit simply stated dh and I were in attendance for dd's birth.

Lol, how could I not be in attendance???
Old 05-04-2005, 11:01 AM

Oh, I wanted to add that the only problem I had *legally* with my UC was with the hospital I went to for prenatal care 2 times.
They(social worker from the hospital) called after my dd's EDD to find out whatever happened to me. I told her I had a wonderful birth at home. She in turn called CPS and told them I had had a homebirth,and did not have the baby checked out( that only I went to the hospital after birthing my dd). Ofcourse that was a lie. The case was closed very soon,but no one likes to have CPS in their home!
So if you have regular OB care before a homebirth make sure you tie up those loose ends. I just blew them(clinic) off during pregnancy,and after the homebirth I was too happy to keep it to myself.Never occured to me that they would lie. It still gets me angry! What a horride place that prenatal clinic was.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:49 AM

Zamber, I'm in Petoskey and I had an even easier time than you did - I just took the baby in by myself, filled out the form they have for "out of hospital births", and then went back in after they called so that I could verify the info. There was even a checkbox on the official typed form asking if you wanted the county to send your info to the Social Security admin. I wasn't asked for proof of pregnancy, or proof of prenatal care, although there were statistical questions that I could answer if I wanted to.

All in all, I don't think I could ask for a better homebirth state than Michigan, especially up in the Crunchy North!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:06 AM

Ah, that's what I get for being near the city :LOL ! I envy you!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:18 AM

We had a UC in CO last year. BC wasn't too hard, but we could have been better prepared. This time I will plan better

Carrie

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
Old 05-17-2005, 01:23 AM

what happens if you need proof for prenatal care for the BC and you are going UP? (I'm in AZ btw)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:42 AM

There is no law stating that you need prenatal care. However, they did ask that if I did get prenatal care that I show proof of it. I think they are really just after proof of pregnancy, which one visit to a doctor (icky, I know...but the doctor doesn't need to know what you are doing) should take care of that (and get a note from the doctor stating that you are pregnant.). Otherwise, I think you have to get signed and noterized notes from people who know you that can back up your pregnancy. They CANNOT and WILL NOT REFUSE to give you a BC - you just may have to jump a few hoops.

User Tag List