Recipes and Remedies for UC/UP self-care - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 07-14-2007, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=709235

This thread has some great information about detecting and treating Gestational Diabetes with diet, exercise, etc. Good advice there!

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
#62 of 90 Old 08-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Sometimes labor is slowed by tension,either muscular or neverousness, if You can get to a health food store Oil of celery is a powerful muscle relaxant.

The dose to take is 7-10 drops in the glass of water taken between contractions.

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#63 of 90 Old 08-17-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

I'm on Reglan for my nausea. It's class B. Phenarghan is class C. So if you do ask a doc for some medication try to get Reglan, since it's less dangerous.
It is less risky, but if you're prone to depression you should really weigh one risk versus another. Reglan can make it a lot worse and it may or may not be worth it to ask for both in case Reglan triggers depression.
#64 of 90 Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Has anyone found any resources for GBS home tests? I followed one link on here, but HIV tests showed up.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#65 of 90 Old 10-13-2007, 07:54 AM

For blood pressure, are the machines in grocery stores and drugstores accurate enough? I don't know if I want to buy my own machine - I could just check my bp when I get groceries (maybe before in case i'm stressed about the shoppping)
#66 of 90 Old 10-13-2007, 10:52 PM

I went to MRH to order some comfrey to make tea to put in my peri bottle, and I have a choice of leaf or root. Which do I buy? Thanks!
#67 of 90 Old 10-17-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakna4 View Post
I had a question about preventing bleeding. Does anyone have a tincture recipe that can be taken at time of crowning or after birth but before placenta to prevent bleeding instead of waiting to see if it will happen.
I have the same question and I didn't see a response to this one. I guess I will have to eat the placenta, but it would be nice if anyone knows of something that will really help stop or at least slow down the bleeding!!
#68 of 90 Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsensation View Post
I have the same question and I didn't see a response to this one. I guess I will have to eat the placenta, but it would be nice if anyone knows of something that will really help stop or at least slow down the bleeding!!
Shepherd's Purse
I found this old thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=40162
#69 of 90 Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
Motherwort tincture rocks for getting peace during prodromal, early labor, after cramping, and mothering in general.
I've been contracting and losing my plug for the past 44 hours or so, and I do have Motherwort (powdered) Would it be of any benefit to me this early on? My biggest gripe right now is that thanks to the contractions, my lower back and lower abdominal muscles are sore and fatigued....If Motherwort would be of any help, how much of it would I use if I were to make a tea??
#70 of 90 Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post
For blood pressure, are the machines in grocery stores and drugstores accurate enough? I don't know if I want to buy my own machine - I could just check my bp when I get groceries (maybe before in case i'm stressed about the shoppping)
Honestly, I don't find the electric ones to be very accurate at all after working at the hospital. I would buy one of the cheap $10 or less sphygmomonomaters (how in the world is that spelled???) with attached stethoscope. Or ask someone if they're willing to sell theirs soon.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#71 of 90 Old 12-16-2007, 11:11 PM

I have tried drinking 1 glass of 100% grapefruit juice with a tablespoon of olive oil mixed into it, first thing in the morning. I might add that I hate grapefruit and was really skeptical that I could keep it down. It really helped the nausea go away. Apparently the gall bladder is one of the major causes for morning sickness and this helps it to function better thus alleviating morning sickness. It is also great for low thyroid function.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#72 of 90 Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Honestly, I don't find the electric ones to be very accurate at all after working at the hospital. I would buy one of the cheap $10 or less sphygmomonomaters (how in the world is that spelled???) with attached stethoscope. Or ask someone if they're willing to sell theirs soon.
I won a spelling bee with that word It's "sphygmomanometer". I was kind of hoping the grocery store ones would work, too. Oh well, I will start checking around.
#73 of 90 Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post
That is what I have been using this whole pregnancy, and it seems pretty consistent from month to month (week to week now.) Also, the few times I've been to a doctor the BP they got was about what I get on the store machine-a little higher at the dr office but I think it's a little white coat syndrome + the fact that they always want to ask me questions while taking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemamma View Post
I have tried drinking 1 glass of 100% grapefruit juice with a tablespoon of olive oil mixed into it, first thing in the morning. I might add that I hate grapefruit and was really skeptical that I could keep it down. It really helped the nausea go away. Apparently the gall bladder is one of the major causes for morning sickness and this helps it to function better thus alleviating morning sickness. It is also great for low thyroid function.
Hmm, a little OT, but do you thing this would also help if you have gall bladder problems? I was told I have "sand" in my GB and a partial obstruction in my bile duct, but I am not about to get it removed, especially a 36+ weeks pregnant. I've read up on gall bladder/liver cleanses but can't do anything until I finish pumping.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#74 of 90 Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 PM

FWIW my mom drank a TON of grapefruit juice for a year before she caved and had her gallbladder removed.

It really seemed to work and certainly put off the surgery.

She also did a few olive oil flushes but she had stones that were just too large to pass through hence the eventual surgery.
If you were told it's just sand and no large stones, perhaps olive oil would be an option? She drank it 2 cups at a time.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#75 of 90 Old 01-25-2008, 04:47 PM

1 drop of cypress oil in the douche bottle - shake really well and use it as a last rinse when you go to the bathroom.
I also put a few drops on the "tucks" that the nurse said were great to soothe.

It really made a difference when I put it on and when I didnt- I could go painfree for a longer time.
3rd degree tear
#76 of 90 Old 04-16-2008, 07:30 AM

I really love this website and all the help I get just by logging in.
#77 of 90 Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Please keep the advice coming! I am taking notes
#78 of 90 Old 05-09-2008, 05:18 PM

Anyone know of anything that would help a reluctant placenta come out? I seem to have a history of this happening and I would like to be better prepared this time around.

TIA.

Julie- living and learning with dh A and dc M (00), A (02), J (02), J (05), A (06), B (07), S (08), ? (10)
#79 of 90 Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 PM

I would check with a homeopath and have a remedy on hand. I have a friend whose baby died while she was at 16 weeks pregnant, and she was going to need a D&C, but after she took some particular remedy (don't know what, but with homeopathy, it would be an individual thing anyway) the last bit came out.
#80 of 90 Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post

Oh, and wanted to add that if you are using homeopathy, you need to stay away from MINT. Drinking it, eating it, brushing your teeth w/it, using it in your lipbalm, mouthwash, etc, etc. Just a little FYI.

Why is that?

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#81 of 90 Old 08-25-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belchers1 View Post
Why is that?
I understand mint negates the effects of homeopathy. I was told if DS overdosed somehow to use something minty to offset it.
#82 of 90 Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 AM

oooh, this thread should be a sticky

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#83 of 90 Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiva View Post
I drank a pint of nettle infusion daily (I had been doing this for a couple of years prior to pg as well) and I think it really helped me. It's so rich in minerals and chlorophyll...I knew it would take care of me. I didn't want anything at all to eat or drink during labor but the minute my son was born, I downed a pint of nettle and took a dropperful of motherwort tincture. The placenta didn't deliver for 45 minutes after his birth (so I took another dropperful of motherwort) and when it did, I bled quite a bit. I felt tired and weak but not dangerously so. I definitely credit the nettle and motherwort for this.
jiva

In susun weeds book, Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year, she cautions that repeated doses of motherwort can worsen bleeding. She suggests only using one dose.

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
#84 of 90 Old 06-15-2009, 02:18 AM

-
#85 of 90 Old 06-30-2009, 04:38 PM

-
#86 of 90 Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 PM

I had SEVERE HG MS, and this helped A LOT!! It really helped bring an end to the sickness, I think!...
Tummy Soother Smoothie
Fill blender with OJ and plain yogurt. Pulse to mix, and add frozen mango cubes. Then add the good stuff (as tolerated) nuts (I used black walnuts) or protien powder, blackstrap molasses, nutritional yeast, bee pollen, wheat germ, raw honey, kelp. Blend thouroughly.

LaborAid (think gatoraid), serve cold or frozen
1 qt water
1/3 c honey
1/3 c fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 t salt
1/4 t. baking soda
2 crushed calcium tablets
#87 of 90 Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaWoodhouse View Post
Anyone know of anything that would help a reluctant placenta come out? I seem to have a history of this happening and I would like to be better prepared this time around.

TIA.
I know there's "Placenta Out", but I thought that was just to remove retained placental fragments? Is there anything else? I tend to have trouble getting mine to come. 45 minutes to an hour after birth my midwives get antsy and they start suggesting cord cutting to remove baby so I can get up into what feel at the time like odd positions, and will sometimes proved some traction on the cord, etc. I'm not sure if it hasn't detached or if it has and I just have trouble getting it to actually push out... It always eventually comes, but their level of concern makes this the only thing I "worry" about for my U/C coming in Sept.

Thanks SO much for this thread!

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#88 of 90 Old 04-29-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
oooh, this thread should be a sticky
There is a link to this thread in the sticky resource thread at the top of this forum

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#89 of 90 Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildoftheMoon View Post
There is a link to this thread in the sticky resource thread at the top of this forum
yeah, but if you notice the timestamps, I made that suggestion in december 2008, whereas the resources sticky was created in march 2009.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#90 of 90 Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
yeah, but if you notice the timestamps, I made that suggestion in december 2008, whereas the resources sticky was created in march 2009.
Got it, I was just quoting you so I could direct others that where not aware of the link sticky

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page