What is unassisted birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-13-2005, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does it mean that you do not get any prenatal care and you have your baby at home? Or you get prenatal care and then have the baby at home. I've never know anyone to have their baby alone so I'm new to all this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 12:26 AM

An unassisted birth is one in which there is no hired professional at the birth. Most UCers do get prenatal care. An unassisted pregnancy would be one in which there was no professional prenatal care.

A home birth is one where you have the baby at home. Presumably, all UCers are homebirthers, but not all homebirthers are UCers. Make sense?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear the ladies are getting prenatal care.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbuntz
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear the ladies are getting prenatal care.
Hmm, and why is that? If I may challenge your assumptions for a moment...

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
Old 05-13-2005, 01:05 AM

I also wonder why you stated that.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:11 AM

check out this page for a basic description.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:45 AM

Women who choose not to get prenatal care often take care of themselves... If you're educated and you know the signs and symptoms of actual problems, the only thing you're getting out of prenatal care is badgering about tests and someone to talk to.

(this coming from someone who does plan on having a midwife for prenatal care, btw).

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 05-13-2005, 02:58 AM

I LOVE that site! I would of never had my UC if I hadn't accidently (or was it an accident? I'll never know....) come accross that site!

As for Unassisted Pregnancy, this quote by Laura Shanley sums up why many (not all) UCers believe prenatal care is....well...to a degree pointless (not to offend those that do get prenatal care):

Quote:
Pregnancy is a natural, healthy condition. It is not a disease. If a woman is physically and psychologically healthy, there is absolutely no need to measure her tummy, test her urine, or check her blood. Needles hurt because skin is not designed to be punctured.

Even if a woman isn't healthy, does she really need a "professional" to inform her of the fact? Are women totally incapable of determining the state of their own health? And suppose they aren't healthy. Can a "professional" actually make them well? Perhaps if they believe in the professional more than they believe in themselves. I believe I am my own best caregiver. I have much more faith in my own abilities than I've ever had in any doctor or midwife.
Having a Unassisted Childbirth was the most beautiful, powerful, and spiritual experience I've ever had. Giving birth was not this painful dangerous ordeal that our society makes it to be. It's all about loving and trusting yourself - and the rest falls into place.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:29 AM

Yep, like stated in another thread, I'm not getting routine prenatal care. I'm focusing on getting more calories in me (currently I don't eat a whole lot) but my hunger is taking care of that for me just fine. And I'm going to start taking some nettle infusion for extra vitamins. And exercise. Daily walks or swims, and vigorous housework and gardening. Perhaps some stretching and strengthening, also.

I found this link: http://www.2bparent.com/pregnancy.ht...of%20pregnancy

Which states what happens at a prenatal appointment. Doesn't sound like anything I can't do myself. And also it says what to call immediately about if there's trouble. I can keep an eye out for those things, so I don't really feel the need for prenatal care myself.

In another thread, I stated the things I did want to check up on, but I can take care of those things myself, so why pay someone else to?
Old 05-13-2005, 04:13 PM

I went to a midwife twice and then after I decited to do a uc I did my own prenatal care. I think those of us who do this are sometimes better off than those who see a dr. I sure did not want to have to go to the dr after trying to avoid them. I was very careful with what I ate and how I took care of myself. I had a very healthy little babe! It was not by chance but by care. - Laura
Old 05-15-2005, 02:07 PM

I don't know that it's true that most UCers get professional medical attention prenatally. Most probably get it before they decide to UC, but afterwards... I'd say it's uncommon. Which to my mind is a good thing. There is way too MUCH prenatal medical interference in America, it's expensive, unnecessary, and can create problems in itself. (Not that it isn't sometimes necessary and good, it has its place of course.)

I did take care of myself prenatally, but saw no point in having a medical professional weigh me, test my urine, check my blood pressure etc., when I already knew I was healthy (and when I could easily do those things for myself, for that matter, if I felt it necessary for some reason.) I also find medical appointments somewhat stressful, and why would I want to subject my baby to that stress for no good reason?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:08 PM

i decided to freebirth my daughter before she was even conceived... and i still got prenatal care, up until about 37 weeks, when my ob revealed what an ignorant misogynist he really is...
Old 05-15-2005, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your responses. I don't think I would personally feel comfortable about not getting any prenatal care and then having the baby alone at home but to each his own. If you're brave enough to do it, kudos to you!
Old 05-16-2005, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yeah, you guys are so brave!

oy.

those six minute visits with a strange man sure make a difference, don't they?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:01 AM

: Pam!

Way to boil it down
Old 05-16-2005, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife
: : : :

Wow, you mean you actually got to spend six whole minutes? It was more like three for me, with a 45 (if I was lucky) minute wait.
My time would of been better spent taking a , : , or !

Am I brave? No, I'm just a stubburn old Capricorn goat who likes things her way or the highway!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:

oy.

Exactly!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 05-16-2005, 03:44 PM

Oh, but Pam, we *are* brave! It is brave to buck the system, knowing that you will lose the respect and support of others and even probably be actively opposed. It is brave to take responsibility on oneself instead of handing it over to others. It is brave to do what you believe is right even when you haven't fully overcome the fears conditioned into you by society.

Yes, we are brave.

I think, though, mzbuntz, that you misunderstand. To recognize when it is pointless or even harmful to do routine testing and monitoring isn't about virtue, it's about reason. Look, either your situation is such that medical care in pregnancy and birth is likely to be helpful or necessary to a good outcome, in which case declining it isn't brave, it's reckless. Or your situation is such that medical care in pregnancy and birth is likely to create problems that weren't there to begin with, in which case declining part or all of it isn't brave, it's just sensible.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What exactly about prenatal care is so necessary. Women who are healthy in mind and body know when to see a doctor. Women who choose UC aren't out to put themselves or their babies in danger, quite the opposite in fact. They have chosen that path for the safety of their babies. They are taking responsibility for the outcomes of their births.

Why must pregnancy be such a "condition" in America? Pregnancy is the most normal of processes. What is it, some 300,000 women give birth every day. And the majority of them arent being strapped to monitors and filled with fear for not listening to everything a doctor has to say.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 PM

Quote:

oy.

Right On. :LOL

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 PM

Well, and for that matter, what about an hour-long appointment with a midwife? Nicer, to be sure, but in most cases no less unnecessary.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:46 AM

Old 05-17-2005, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
Well, and for that matter, what about an hour-long appointment with a midwife? Nicer, to be sure, but in most cases no less unnecessary.

true, true, true!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:22 PM

pam, you crack me up! seriously. :LOL

User Tag List