If you do unassisted pregnancy too... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you have to transfer during labor or after birth....what do you tell the hospital staff about who your ob/mw was? Just gear yourself up for the fact that they'll probably scoff at the fact you didn't "get prenatal care"?

I'm on the verge of going totally unassisted and this is my most recent worry. lol Since I'm on Medicaid I *might* do a few visits with the mw who was here for my last homebirth...just so I can say I saw someone. The last thing I want is the state hounding me b/c they think I'm not caring for my kids.

Can you tell I like to plan and worry too much sometimes? LOL!! I just don't want to leave any details overlooked.
#2 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 02:36 PM

I had that concern as well. I kept a journal of my stats so no one could say I didn't care for myself.-Laura
#3 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 02:43 PM

Oh, good idea!
#4 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 02:52 PM

I was on medicaid during my last pregnancy. I didn't bother even applying for it until I was 20 wks. My caseworker thought it was no big deal at all that I hadn't had prenatal care up until then. In fact she said "oh you've got plenty of time to see a doctor." Not what I expected.

I transfered during that labor. The nurses really weren't botherd by the fact that I hadn't had prenatal care. They were more miffed because I had checked my own dialation. The nurse even told me that it's impossible for a woman to check herself :LOL Oh and I had a small discussion with the sonographer about why I didn't care for an u/s. She said "well I'm pg and I look at my baby every single day...it's totally safe!" *shudder*

The only thing I'm afraid of next time is if I say, need a c/section, since I didn't have prenatal care will medicaid refuse to pay? I've also been told if I sign out AMA, medicaid will refuse to pay for any of my past/current bills, anyone know if that's true?

I think as far as legally though, like the pp said keep track of all your stats, and keep files of all the research you do so you can prove you weren't being neglectful but rather making an informed decision.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#5 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Great idea about the journal!!

twinangels ~ I asked the mw I'm currently seeing (who knows I'm on Med.) about leaving asap and she said she thought it was fine. *shrug*
#6 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 03:46 PM

All I'm checking is my BP (and weight, for fun) and I am keeping track of it on my computer. Later on, I'll be using a stethoscope on the fetus, so I'll record the heartrate, too. I'm having as many "tests" as I had with my son (with the exception of U/S), who was born in a hospital with a CNM, so I don't think it'd be a big deal. I am going to apply for medicaid next week, to have just in case (and bc I want to go in for a pap smear, which I haven't had in 3 years). If they give me any grief, I'll cancel it.
#7 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm having as many "tests" as I had with my son
This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid tho.....
#8 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 05:38 PM

I said B/P, weight, and heart rate are the only things I am checking this time and last. You are trying to avoid checking your B/P? (not that I think it's absolutely necessary, but it seems like an odd thing to avoid)
#9 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh ok...I thought by "tests" you meant GD, AFP, etc. since you also mentioned the CNM.
#10 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinangels04
I've also been told if I sign out AMA, medicaid will refuse to pay for any of my past/current bills, anyone know if that's true?
Unfortunately, it's true. Where this can happen - if you see an OB that decides to transfer you to the hospital during a prenatal visit for "emergency reasons", and you refuse care. It raises liability issues. However, the chances of that happening with UP is slim to none. Just relax and trust yourself!

Quote:
I had that concern as well. I kept a journal of my stats so no one could say I didn't care for myself.-Laura
This is an excellent idea, and it's what I plan on doing next pregnancy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page