New Here, 2nd UC planned... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2005, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI Ladies. Just found out this afternoon that we are pregnant. I'm still reeling from the news, as well, I though there was no way. I actually was cetrtain I was starting menopause (at 28 ) .

Anyhow, we have 4 kiddos already. All normally birthed (meaning no bothersome anything, drugs, checks, monitoring by machines what not) First two OK hosp. births, second two MW prenatals and third wthe MW assisted us, fourth was UC. My only regret (and not really a regret just wishful thinking) was the shock of family and frineds that ruined our celebration of my son's birth. I wanted a party, and I got silence and a few whispered "are you crazy" ies. I am wondering how I can find like-minded moms in my area so we can enjoy ourselves and lend support?

Anyhow, I like prenatal care with my mw so I might still do that this time. (after awhile though) I'm about 2 weeks pregnant and don't feel anything but confusion

Take care, anyone expecting a poss. Christmastime baby with me??

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I am wondering how I can find like-minded moms in my area so we can enjoy ourselves and lend support?
Ah, unfortunately there seems to be so few of us . It's so hard to be strong in the face of opposition. There are physical support groups for breastfeeding and midwifes, but so far none for UCers. Just know that we are all here for you in spirit.

One day we will be a force to be reckened with!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:52 PM

Congrats!!!

I can relate to the shock instead of party. Well, actually most people were thrilled and praising us ... but my poor Dh got an earful when he called and proudly annouced it to his mother. She flipped on him ... he never did tell me all she said, but I could tell by his whole demeanor that he went from Cloud Nine to feeling like a child. Needless to say we haven't even shared our happy news of Baby #5.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:11 AM

I'm due 9/8 (or 3 weeks later if we go by the last one). I did 1st by midwife in hosp, 2nd & 3rd w/ midwife at Birth center (waterbirths), and 4th UC waterbirth. Mom was at UC, & rest of family swallowed it, so I'm not concerned they'll think I'm crazy about that, so much as by the fact that I'm having another, and so soon (ds 3/12/04). Am doing prenatal care because I like reassurance, but am sort of annoyed about it at the same time. Last time I told MW I was coming to hosp, & just didn't go. Do I really want to do this again w/ new MW? Do I want to go through wars about 10 month pg again? See, you're not the only one who's confused. So here I am in the mid 20's (weeks, that is. I'm 38, which is the other cause of worry, of course), and most of family/friends don't even know yet!
Bridget :homew:
Old 05-23-2005, 10:45 AM

Bridget,
I too am expecting my fifth baby, (I am 29) and I want to do UP but each time I see the MW, they make the next appt, and I end up going. I really don't want to continue, its just this old habit that dies hard.

The last time I saw a MW, it turned out it was a HE, and (no offence to all the male MW's) but I felt SO uncomfortable and it wasn't for me. He also told me that next visit would be a GTT, and I just don't believe in them, mostly because I fail them. :LOL
But what do ya reckon your body is going to do if it drinks a cup of sugar???
duh!

My main reason for continuing is to get 'proof' this baby is genuine and I will have less trouble getting a birth cert. I know in Australia, it can be very difficult to get one. I have heard so anyway.

So I am a wannabe UP! (& 25 or so weeks) & planning first UC.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:24 PM

I suppose the first question is: Where ya at?? LOL

I'm in Austin, TX now, but moving to Olympia area,WA in 2.5 months. I just posted a few other replies, one about prenatal care, and the other about telling people about your UC plans... I won't rehash them here.

I do think it is of great importance of UC mamas to have (at least) ONE person in which to share the joy and empowerment of primal, natural, and instinctual birth.
(OT remark- I personally don't like to refer to birth as UNassisted in the same manner I do not refer to natural boys as UNcircumcised, as it suggests that DOING so is the norm. Why not say assisted childbirth and circumcised, noting that is is DIFFERENT from the normal. does that make sense to anyone? )

I know that birth from a woman's perspective is empowering, and life changing... even when her births are "hard" for her... some mamas have the feeling that you really don't need a companion for pregnancy, because we are self functioning organisms capable of functioning perfectly without outside judgments/perspectives/expectations/routines. That's all true, but I think it is also within a woman's spiritual/personal self that we all seek the kind of "sisterhood" and intimacy with one other soul who is understanding, forgiving, encouraging, and hey... just plain a pleasure to be with!

I love that you have started this thread, because much is discussed in UC areas about a woman's ability to be a sole force (which of course she is), the focus is often shifted to the "primal warrior" instinctual part of mama, and skips the need for intimacy.... which I believe is *the* reason that UC mamas seek prenatal care with midwives... for that intimacy and joy of just another woman to share your pregnant mama goddess joy with.
I hear you roar, mama!

I'm a bit chatty today, eh? LoL
Old 05-24-2005, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_arrows
Bridget,
I too am expecting my fifth baby, (I am 29) and I want to do UP but each time I see the MW, they make the next appt, and I end up going. I really don't want to continue, its just this old habit that dies hard.

[COLOR=Navy]IKWYM

The last time I saw a MW, it turned out it was a HE, and (no offence to all the male MW's) but I felt SO uncomfortable and it wasn't for me. He also told me that next visit would be a GTT, and I just don't believe in them, mostly because I fail them. :LOL
But what do ya reckon your body is going to do if it drinks a cup of sugar???
duh!

I find they're ickier in the US than in NZ or the UK!

My main reason for continuing is to get 'proof' this baby is genuine and I will have less trouble getting a birth cert. I know in Australia, it can be very difficult to get one. I have heard so anyway.

So I am a wannabe UP! (& 25 or so weeks) & planning first UC.

Well, I don't know about Oz, but I will tell you, I had a tough time in Louisiana. They kept insisting on a note from someone "official" that I had had this baby. Because obviously, I couldn't be trusted to tell them that I'd just had a baby.
To back up, 1st I went to the main state office, & they said, "No, you have to go to the parish (county) office & fill out the papers there, & then they send them to me & I deal w/ it." When I finally tracked down the only woman allowed to handle birth certificates in the parish office, she said, "You should have gone to the state office, she's the one who handles it." :
So, we argued about what proof I could give her, and she fianally accepted a note from the midwife saying, "I was giving her prenatal care. I saw her on the 11th, and when I saw her again on the 15th, she'd had a baby." But she wasn't very happy about it. She was also pretty miffed that I wanted her to accept my APGAR scores, etc.-- obviously, I couldn't possibly be able to determine such a thing for myself (never mind that I have a PhD, and I somehow don't imagine that she does!).
Anyhow, I did get it, but it ws pretty stressful. And to add to that -- she had sent something in so that the baby would get a social security card, but when I needed the number to file taxes, I couldn't find it (dh had moved it, of course) & thought I hadn't applied for one, so I went to Soc Sec to apply for one. They treated me like dirt ("What do you mean he's never seen a doctor!!), saying there had to be "proof" from a doctor, etc & his birth certificate didn't count. I asked why I didn't have this difficulty when I was out of the country & took the baby's birth certificate to the US consulate to apply for a passport & SSN at the same time, and they suggested I go to the consulate then (as if the US would have a consulate to itself within its own borders ). Boy was I relieved when dh turned up w/ the thing! I was actually going to have to apply for Medicaid, so I could spend hours waiting around in a doc's office, to get in an arguement w/ the doc about no vacs/"well baby" checks, in order to get the doc to write a note saying, "Yep, the kid exists."
So, now that I've vented a bit of annoyance, I guess I would say, "Yes, it might be a good idea from the point of view of "proving" the babe's birth. I am now that I recall all this, wondering what all those UP UC'ers do in this regard. Hmmmmmm.

And to Angie: Yeah, I'm into being free of interference, but not necessarily "toughing it out alone". Geez, they should at least see what you go through! And I guess it is nice to share the process w/ someone who's got more idea what's going on than family members. Maybe I'll tell her what I'm planning toward the end, so as not to get blacklisted. If she refuses to see me after that, I suppose it would at least relieve me of the going "overdue" arguements & threats....

Bridget
Old 05-24-2005, 09:36 AM

Oh Bridget, what a nuisance! I can only hope that it won't be too difficult to register the baby's birth. I guess I will find out.

kynd mama,
As for the reason of continuing prenatal care being because of a need for intimacy, I can't say for sure really, but in my case it is not true, I would rather be left alone and just gestate in peace!
I am watching my carb intake and drinking green tea (has heard it helps) to stabilise my blood sugars, I suspect it might go high in this pg.

I agree on what you said about the "UNassisted" term, I don't believe in it much either.
Everything has a label though!! (How about "EXTREME Childbirth!" :LOL)

User Tag List