How many UPers here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2005, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I originally intended for a midwife, but have ended up doing my own prenatal care by default (three midwives: one is due around the time I am and won't take me, another is more of a med-wife and I absolutely DON'T want her [she won't take me anyway knowing I'm a UC client] and the third is under serious fire from doctors in the area and is retiring)

It's actually pretty liberating so far! Any worries I had about it have gone away completely when I realized this isn't rocket science and I feel better knowing I'm in charge of myself.

Anyone else having a UP.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 11:05 PM

Me!

Liberating, yes. Because I don't feel I'm reporting to anyone this pregnancy, and because I'm not employed this time around, I have been sooo mellow and not-stressed out. It has made me better in tune with my body, for sure.

Like you, I originally did intend to work with a midwife, but I didn't want to negotiate anything, and I felt there were a couple things she was unwilling to be flexible enough to accomodate my needs. So... I am doing the whole thing unassisted. My only concern has been whether I need to check my blood pressure, even once, during the pregnancy. But I haven't and don't feel any worse for the wear. I didn't have bp issues with #1, and I have very healthy numbers pre-pregnancy (even with almost no exercise) so I haven't stressed about it. Oh yes, and another midwife couldn't take me because I planned a UC because she could lose her state license (in MN) if she worked with me during prenatals but not for the birth... Sigh.

It DOES feel liberating! But I am definitely not telling anyone I don't trust... a few friends, really. Most people have just no understanding of why I feel it's safe and I definitely don't feel like explaining it to them.

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
Old 05-18-2005, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

I just take my BP at a machine at the grocery store. I have low BP normally, and it's lower now that I'm pregnant. 99/50 was today's reading and I feel great so I'm doing just fine. No fainting, no dizzy... it's pretty normal for me. I think the highest I ever got last PG was still considered "low".

High BP can be controlled a bunch of ways, but I have no personal experience with it. Diet and high water consumption are your essentials, of course.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 05-19-2005, 01:57 AM

I might be. I'm not quite sure how everything is going to unfold.

Today I cancelled my u/s w/ the mw/ob office and in a week or so I'll cancel my next appt. I'm going to talk to the mw that was here w/ my last birth to see if she'll do a few prenatals and maybe be "on call" if I have any questions during labor/birth.

I have felt SOOOOOOOOO much better about things today!!! It is very liberating.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:46 AM

This is my second UP/UC and I must say, taking care of my own prenatal care (via excellent nutrition, exercise, rest, bonding and praying) was one of the absolute BEST parts about my last pregnancy. It wasn't always easy ... I had to really pay attention to my cravings and 'symptoms' but felt much more free and liberated in taking full responsiblity for my care.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:53 AM

The biggest difference I've seen between UPers and those under mw care: the UPers spend their pregnancy re-learning and fine tuning their innate connection to their body and baby. The true work of pregnancy inherently is about how well you can listen to the still small voice inside of you (hence all the dreams and other increased intuitions) and those women who have taken all their authority back and are empowered in birth (and UCers are above the curve here) are amazingly suited to excelling at doing what they were designed to do: grow babies and give birth.

I am concerned sometimes how even in the UP/UC community we are talking like midwives or even OBs. We cannot help but be influenced by the culture around us which thinks we must *check on* so many things during pregnancy: like urine dips and doppler checks and even blood pressure. None of these interventions are *needed* to ensure that your body does its job.

We are not UCing so we can be our own midwives....we are Ucing so that we can have the unique experience of listening and responding appropriately to our own bodies. And that is something not even the most progressive midwife can do as well as YOU.

So, keep listening and don't doubt yourself. Your body knows. Really!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:00 PM

This is my first pregnancy and I'm taking care of myself. It's strange. I usually don't mind getting pelvic exams (of course I don't like them...I just find them tolerable and not really upsetting) but right now the thought of anyone putting their hands in me is really disturbing. I have this sense of privacy about my pregnancy, like I'm the one growing this baby, I'm not sick, and I should be responsible for taking care of my body. No one else has the right to invade my space and mess with my baby.

I am lying to everyone who asks, though. My sister and my mom think I've been to the clinic at my university and I'm hiring a midwife after we move this summer. The only person irl who knows about the UP/UC is dh.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:44 PM

Me, me! But you knew that already.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:50 PM

Me as well! -Laura
Old 05-21-2005, 05:24 PM

I will be for any next babies!

With my first I saw a nurse practitioner up until I gave birth then it was a surprise which ob who was there for the birth. I that woman who did my prenatal but I have serious anxiety from docs/hospitals and my blood pressure would be sky high so I just checked it myself at the grocery store to make sure it was ok.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:48 PM

Wow!

You all are so inspiring to me

I had 2 hospital births (no meds or interventions) accompanied by an amazing doula/friend and my dh. Midwives were not, and still are not, an option in this province : However, my overall experience was less than satisfying as I had to fight for everything I had included in my birth plans.

I just found this forum and am becoming very interested in the possibility of UC

As far as the pregnancy goes, I feel comfortable with being in tune with myself and my baby, but how do you prepare for the actual birth? I mean, I know the labour part, but what about supplies, etc? Can someone recommend a book or website where I can learn more?

TIA!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:32 PM

spudisle- There is a book called Unassisted Childbirth, which many people like. There are also a lot of websites, I like www.unhinderedliving.com because it is less, I don't know, spiritual about the whole thing. Straightforward. You don't need many supplies for a birth. I plan to have an inflatable baby pool to labor/birth in if I choose, a pot full of water on the stove to heat rags for my back, clothes and blankets for the babe, towels, a plastic sheet for the bed, and a baby scale. That's really more than you need. You could birth outside with absolutely nothing but your naked body (if we weren't due in december!). I have a BP monitor and stethoscope for the pregnancy.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:14 PM

spudisle,

you would probably enjoy the birth stories embedded in the "UC support" thread. It will give you an idea of what the birth process UC style can look like. I should warn you, there are many many variables: mamas who only listen to their bodies, mamas and papas "being their own midwife" with some "medical/obstetrical model" self care (ie doppler, urine strips etc), families with one or more non-medical/unpaid attendant, mamas with very non-interventive midwives present as back-up, and even mamas totally alone, etc....

You will need to search yourself to discover what brings you to UC world and what resonates with you and your primal needs and rights in birth.

Welcome. Enjoy! And don't be afraid to ask questions
Old 05-23-2005, 10:27 AM

Thank you so much mamas!

I'm off to do some reading....
Old 05-23-2005, 10:56 AM

Fourth babe, first UC due in three weeks or so...

I've loved this thread as the time is drawing near and there's been really no encouragement this time (unlike prev. homebirth with midwife). The few people I have told seem to think we're showing off...

I am choosing UC because I want an even more intense version of that "Oh my God I did it" feeling when you push that babe into your hands. I want DH and best girlfriend and I to just hang out and get right into birthing...I want my kids to get all the cool benefits they do when a new spirit arrives as they go about their daily business in their own home...I want to feel validated that how I feel is more important than a bunch of numbers (clinical prenatal care).

This UP business..I reckon I'll look back and be really proud of my strength - even if people sometimes infer you're irresponsible...

Good luck, UP'ers!!!

Love Myf.
From Down Under
:bf Mum of three gorgeous, noisy boys.:
:nana: bump due for harvest mid-june.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:28 PM

I'm here, too!

I'm really not doing "anything"! I am just beginning my second trimester, so not much to "look" for, really... but I don't plan on doing anything except feeding ourselves yummy organic food and resting when possible.

I really think the whole "prenatal care" system is just another money-grubbing-make sure there's a problem to find-hoax. NOT at all to say that there aren't real needs for this type of care for *SOME* (very very few) mamas and babes who actually have health issues to begin with... but I just disagree with being poked and prodded, and not to mention INVADED over and over just to "be sure". I'm not certain what they're "being sure" about anyway!

Honestly, if my baby is so badly malformed or diseased that s/he will die after birth, I don't want to know now! Either nature will end that life shortly in the womb, or I will hold my sick child until the end comes on it's own. I would not "terminate" any child, flawed or not... so indeed, I don't see the whole point of this kind of care. Is it a preventative measure? I think not, mostly....

Sorry to ramble, I think this is a very interesting topic! I know that many of us UC'ers seek prenatal care, and I always wonder why, and am curious the rate of transfer for the mamas who seek this type of "care". I realize that legality comes into play for many...

Thanks for the topic! I love reading all the replies, even though I'm usually quiet around here!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:48 PM

Me, me...but I'm not pg. My first was a very hands off mwhb, and I loved the whole experience. But for future babes I plan to go totally UP/UC. And by UP I'm planning on doing nothing more than eating, sleeping, being stress-free as possible, and enjoying watching my belly grow and move.

Depending on where I live at the time of my pregnancy, I may see a mw who supports UC so I can have someone "official" to verify that I was pregnant to obtain a birth certificate. But I don't want any prenantal care from this person.

I'm currently reading Expecting Trouble (can't remember the author, he's an OB though) and it basically sums up that the majority of prenantal tests and procedures have virtually no impact on birth outcomes. Very interesting stuff, and now I have some back-up for the 'what-ifs' and other worried questions people will ask.

OK, I'm going back to lurking now. I've learned so much from this forum and I'll just keep devouring info until I get to have my own UP/UC>

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 05-23-2005, 11:52 PM

Well, I don't know that I've had a truly unassisted pregnancy this time, but I haven't seen anyone since I was 16 weeks. I had no plans to see anyone during the pregnancy, except possibly to obtain proof of pregnancy for birth certificate paperwork, etc. I developed hyperemesis, however, and had two midwife visits while I was being medicated for that (at 12 weeks and 16 weeks). I'm 32 weeks now and am enjoying watching my belly grow, and that's all I'm doing for "prenatal care" at the moment. My grandmother has a blood pressure monitor I could use if I became concerned about that, but I haven't felt moved to use it yet.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:24 AM

I did my own prental after 2 visits to a typical hospital prental clinic.Had my healthy 9.6 lbs girl at home UC. I felt so happy and relaxed after I decided NOT to go back to any doctor or MW during that pregancy. I focused on nutrition and kept an eye on my bp.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:18 AM

I'm doing a UP, too. Mostly. I went to my family doc for a pregnancy test (multiple miscarriages, wanted proof for the medpros to get help if this one didn't stick) and for an ultrasound (previous cesarean, wanted to check on placenta location and rule out twins). That's all I've done, though. I weighed myself a couple of times and I got a fetoscope to listen to the heartbeat. That's more for fun than anything, though. Been considering whether to bother checking my blood pressure, but I feel fine. I've been trying to eat healthier, focusing on protein and water intake especially, but probably not as good as I could be. And I spend a lot of time talking to baby and feeling my belly.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 05-24-2005, 03:06 PM

Me!
I'm not doing anything either. Just eating well and trying to focus on being happy each day, which isn't hard when I'm surrounded by my kids and dh each day!

This is my first UP, and I absolutely LOVE not having anyone else involved!

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
Old 05-24-2005, 03:10 PM

I went 32 weeks UP with Angelo. I didn't have a lot os support and ended up finishing with a midwife hospital birth. (No interventions....great birth, but not the same as a homebirth/UC )

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 05-24-2005, 03:14 PM

another UP mama here. I feel so great going UP with this pg! I do keep an eye on my BP and test my urine regularly. used a doppler once so far. i must say I have so much less stress this time around than with managed care my family is having a hard time with it though, but they've been fairly tolerable so I am thankful.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 05-25-2005, 04:02 AM

Me also. I did have a bit of prenatal care with my last (hospital) birth, but I had so much trouble getting appointments that I was 31 weeks before I was seen (keep in mind I had Linda at 35w!) So even that little bit might as well not have happened.

I look at it this way. If I go to the OB, they will weigh me, take my blood pressure, and measure my fundal height. That's it. OK, they'll also poke around my vagina/cervix and draw some blood, but since I don't accept any of the offered prenatal tests, it all boils down to being weighed and measured. And I can do that on my own without being irritated by stupid people.

So on my own I have measured my fundal height twice and weighed myself a handful of times. Pretty much what would happen at the doctor's office. Only I don't irritate myself. I'm also doing stuff on my own that just wouldn't be done by a doctor. I'm connecting with body and my baby, I'm making sure I eat well. I'm addressing the spiritual side of pregnancy. Things like that.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

User Tag List