Any UP what did you do about RH? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-19-2005, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering did you get typed before you were pregnant? Do it at all?

i'm not pregnant yet. But of course all of us who want a UC seem to constantly be reading, posting, questioning - isn't that why we are so wonderfully intelligent?

Just wondering how you handled this, also any other tips from UP would be appreciated about anything prenatal. i believe my body will take care of itself, so why worry over it. Also did you tell people you were not getting "real" pre-natal care?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-19-2005, 07:33 PM

You don't know your blood type? Ask your mother, she probably knows. I am RH+ (o+) so I don't have to worry about it.
#3 of 12 Old 05-19-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

i don't know my type and i don't think my mom does either. Do you just tell your RH from your blood type or is it a seperate test?
#4 of 12 Old 05-19-2005, 08:27 PM

It's from your blood type. If you are A-, then you are Rh-. If you are A+, then you are Rh+
Namaste, Tara
#5 of 12 Old 05-19-2005, 09:00 PM

Now the real question... what difference does it make to you? Personally, I'm RH- and my partner is RH+ AND I've never had RhoGam. We get out of the way and let my body do it's thing. No tugging on the cord, no clamping of the cord, no forced pushing of the placenta, etc, etc, etc. The result... I've had two children and I'm not RH sensitized. I'm expecting my third and won't get Rhogam now either.

Oh, just a though, if your partner is RH- your RH doesn't matter. It's only if your partner is RH+. But, even still, I don't think it's a good idea to ever mess with the cord or the placenta if you can help it!
#6 of 12 Old 05-19-2005, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Arora, i agree with you completely - i truly believe in letting nature take it's course. I don't believe in putting any drug in my body unless it is necessary (and my rules for necessary are strict!).

i really wanted to hear more people say that they hadn't done it, because i've been siding with that belief in my research. Plus neither my husband or i know our blood type and since we are planning on UP/UC i don't really want to go to a dr. or clinic and alert them to my situation. i prefer flying under the radar.

Thanks for your personal experience.
#7 of 12 Old 05-19-2005, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I completely agree with Arora. I am RH+, but if I were - I would not get a rhogam shot. Many people don't get the shot and are fine. Just like the PP said, get out of the way and let your body do what it needs.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#8 of 12 Old 05-19-2005, 10:55 PM

I'm positive and so is everyone in my family and his, so this isn't a worry of mine. But I am curious: what are the side effects of the Rhogam shot? What are the risks? Have long term studies been done to determine the effects on the fetus?... I know little to nothing about RH- treatment, because it wasn't something that I needed to know, but people tend to just take the shot because it "saves lives". Well... apparently so do vaccinations and eye goop at birth, and we don't do those - so what's the story with it?

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#9 of 12 Old 05-20-2005, 12:23 PM

My friend has a mentally retarded aunt who lives my friend's mother, and she claims it is because her grandmother was RH- and didn't get Rhogam- is that really possible?
#10 of 12 Old 05-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama
My friend has a mentally retarded aunt who lives my friend's mother, and she claims it is because her grandmother was RH- and didn't get Rhogam- is that really possible?
It personally sounds to me like someone is trying to scare you (but I could be wrong).
#11 of 12 Old 05-21-2005, 12:27 AM

As an Rh- mama (dh is Rh+) I have done much reading, research and soul searching on this one. I believe there *are* risks to getting Rhogam, as well as risks to not getting it. I found this book to be incredibly informative in making my decisions about Rhogam. Although it may be a little too detailed for some, it explains very clearly what the Rh-factor is, how it affect pregnant women who are Rh-, whether there are risks associated with Rhogam, how to tell which Rh- women are at most risk, and how to minimize your risks if you don't want to get the shot. ANYTHING you read published by the mainstream medical profession is going to be biased, so don't bother there. I am a firm believer that 3rd stage management should be *very* hand off, and that this can make a big difference in Rh sensitization in the next pregnancy.

I should add that I have had 4 babies, two of which are Rh+ and two are Rh-. I opted against prenatal Rhogam in my last pregnancy (UC) but would have considered the postnatal shot had the baby been Rh+.

Serena
#12 of 12 Old 05-21-2005, 02:48 AM

If you are curious, when you donate blood with the Red Cross they tell you your blood type.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page