Nov/Dec/Jan UCrs (WINTER birthers, come on in!) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 114 Old 06-27-2005, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The best time to get the PKU is 2-3 days after birth, when the baby has been nursing for at least 24 (?) hours. The one at birth is senseless, IMHO.
#62 of 114 Old 06-27-2005, 07:00 PM

At the hospital I would be birthing, they give it before the baby goes home, but either later the same day or the next day.
#63 of 114 Old 06-27-2005, 07:46 PM

A quick Google gave me this:

"The baby should be drinking breast milk or formula for at least 24 hours before the blood sample is taken. PKU test results are more likely to be accurate if the blood sample is taken after the baby has been on a milk diet for at least 48 hours."

"If your baby goes home within 24 hours of delivery, the phenylketonuria (PKU) test result may not be accurate. When the test is done within 24 hours of birth, there is a 1-in-6 (16%) chance of having a PKU test appear normal even though the baby has PKU. This risk drops to less than 2% if the test is done between 24 and 72 hours after birth. Your baby may need to be retested if the PKU results are not accurate. "
#64 of 114 Old 06-28-2005, 12:18 AM

I left the hospital 12 hours after birth, so I had to bring Julian back a couple of days later to get the test.
#65 of 114 Old 06-28-2005, 02:29 AM

Hi all, sorry I haven't been around lately. Took a 3 week trip to FL. Only part of that was vacation, though.

Ok, so here's where I stand: All I want is a doula. I just want the labor support! How in the heck am I going to find a doula who will attend a UC?? I am going to interview one more midwife (I've only talked to one so far, and I just don't think we're going to work out.) But if she's iffy about me not wanting any tests, then I'm just not going to have one. I'm starting to seriously get into the mindset of a total UC. But I would really like someone experienced to help me through the labor! *Sigh*

That's all for now.
#66 of 114 Old 06-28-2005, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the info! That sounds good

Persephone-- Hey, I'll be your doula and you can be mine . If we go at the same time , well that would be interesting, eh???
#67 of 114 Old 06-29-2005, 03:20 AM
XM

Hey mamas, thought I'd join you! We are expecting right around New Year's and are planning a UC.

Our first, Xiola, we lost while I was pushing. She was born at the hospital and I was told not to push for 4 hours. Our second, Ezra, we had at home with a midwife. This time I am feeling like I really want to be with my birth, so while I have seen my MW and may continue seeing her (she is a wonderful herbalist!) I won't be calling her for the birth.

I don't want someone else being responsible for this birth! I want to just listen to myself and do it.

I will be unassisted but not alone, I am planning on having my dh Mike there, our son, and two of my very good friends. These ladies love me and truly trust birth, and I know that they will be able to give me encouragement without imposing their presence. So maybe that is cheating the definition of UC but they will be following my lead so I'm feling really good about it- like its going to be a birthing party! They'll probably be playing with ds most of the time while Mike and I labor, anyway.

I'm thinking waterbirth? Seems like it would kind of downplay the messiness of the actual birth for ds... plus it just sounds sooo nice. Usually I hang out in the shower the whole time, but this time I really want to try a tub birth!

I am really excited! This has been a really easy pregnancy so far and I am ecstatic about the coming birth! Congratulations to all of you!
#68 of 114 Old 06-29-2005, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arora The Explorer
Welcome Castle! Congrats on your first UC and the next one coming! So, how did you know that you wanted the tear stitched? What tipped you off?
Thanks for the welcome.

Well, after the birth I showered, and cleaning myself off I could feel the tear, and I could feel a blobby bit hanging out as well. I wasn't sure what it was, so I had my husband look at it. He couldn't tell what it was, so I had my mom look at it. She couldn't tell what it was, so I positioned a mirror (not easy, since all we had were full length wall mirrors LOL) so I could look myself. I just didn't like what I saw. And the bit hanging out felt uncomfortable. So we went in to the hospital. My midwife said it looked like a 2nd degree tear, and her best guess was that the blobby bit was some of the inner vaginal wall that had torn (I think they're called tags?). She just kind of pushed it inside, and stiched the tear. I guess she did a good job, because when my current midwife did my pap smear she thought I hadn't torn before. My perineum feels completely fine now, haven't had any problems with it since.

I'm sure it would have healed okay on it's own, but I don't regret getting it stitched. But going to the hospital just for the stitches was annoying. It would have been nice to have a midwife who would come to my house to do it, but, oh well. This time I'm hoping not to tear, to avoid the issue all together! Now I know better. When DH says "She's crowning!" that's when I'll stop pushing, rather than pushing as hard as I can to get her out fast (like I did with my first).
#69 of 114 Old 06-30-2005, 12:54 PM

I'm having bad mama anxiety.

I made the decision before I got pg that I wouldn't be taking any prenatals or supplements of any kind. I've done the research, and it seems like supplements aren't absorbed very well, and that it's better to get your nutrients from food. Seems to be going well for me so far. I have no health problems, so I must be getting enough nutrients.

I was concerned about folic acid, but I ate a really good diet with lots of foods with folic acid in them before I got pg, so I thought I was doing ok. After I got pg, I felt sick thinking about eating pretty much anything but the kinds of food I grew up on, mainly processed stuff. So, I don't think I was eating bad, but not as well as I was before.
But my MIL was telling me how I NEED to take folic acid or horrible things will happen to my baby. And now I'm all freaked out, thinking I made the wrong decision, and if there's anything wrong with my baby, I'll never forgive myself. I keep trying to visualize the baby strong and healthy, but I can't shake the worry. I almost didn't want to post here, cause I'm afraid you'll tell me that I deserve it if there's something wrong with my baby. I feel like maybe I didn't do enough research on the subject, or I made the wrong choice... I'd go get an ultrasound to make me feel better, but I can't just walk into an OB's office and ask for it, yk?

Someone knock some sense into me please?
#70 of 114 Old 06-30-2005, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Feel better now???

Persepone, I know how easy it is to give into fears. There's always something. I had aspirin when I was 5 wks pregnant, I drank 4 vats of huge Diet Coke at 4.5 weeks pregnant, I took anti-nausea meds AND on top of all that I wasn't able to keep down ANY prenatal with folic acid when studies show they're most important for preventing nural tube defects. That said, defects are pretty rare, add on top of that that prenatals only slightly reduce the risk of defects. Your babe is most likely happy and healthy inside of you!

And, if you do want to get an U/S by all means, do so after you weigh the risks/benefits. If you have a GP you can ask them to schedule you one. Otherwise there are 3-D imaging places (wouldn't rec'd getting the 3-D part of it) that do U/S. They just charge right out of pocket.

Castle -- thank you so much for the information! Totally good to hear, especially about pushing gently.

XM -- WELCOME!!! Thank you for sharing your other birth experiences with us. I'm so sorry that you lost Xiola in the hospital. Your plan for birth this time sounds wonderful! The definition of UC as I understand it is without a trained birth attendant present. So, invite the gardener and the pizza boy if you want, it'd still be a UC.

I think it's important that we don't get too hung up with definitions of "true" UC since I know the definintions are different depending on who you talk to. Let's just all hang out and support one another in our empowering pregnancies and births.
#71 of 114 Old 06-30-2005, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, there's a new UC baby in the Summer/Fall group. It's on pg 2. Go say congrats if you feel the urge.
#72 of 114 Old 07-06-2005, 02:10 AM
XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone
But my MIL was telling me how I NEED to take folic acid or horrible things will happen to my baby.... Someone knock some sense into me please?
NEVER take advice from your MIL!

My philosophy is, take everything your MIL says with a grain of salt. Her concern is not with your peace of mind- she thinks she's advocating for the baby, so of course she is going to voice her concerns freely and with little forethought to how they will affect you. My MIL is an expert on all sorts of things she knows absolutely nothing about.

Most women don't know they are pregnant till they are past the window when a FA deficiency would be an issue. This is why folic acid is added to everything! Even croutons- read the box. So, if you were eating a wholefoods diet I doubt you were putting your baby at risk.

I was just on the phone the other night with a good friend whose daughter has a touch of spinal bifida... it really isn't an issue for her at all. And this is an awesome natural mama who took very good care of herself during her pregnancy. Just because your baby isn't 'perfect', doesn't mean either of you 'deserved' it to be that way.

If you are worried to the point that its affecting your life, then maybe an ultrasound would be worth it (I do consider extreme anxiety about the baby's health to be a legitimate reason for an u/s), to put your mind at ease. But from what you have said, I would imagine that your baby is thriving!
#73 of 114 Old 07-06-2005, 03:15 AM

I told her I was going to drink nettle infusion instead of prenatals, because they're more easily absorbed. She didn't say anything, but I think she thought I was nuts. She thinks herbs don't do anything, cause she tried them when she was menopausal, and it didn't work for her. She's already tried to convince me to get away from the herbs. No freaking way. I have to say though, we do have a pretty good relationship, despite our differences. We are a lot alike, in that we're both strong willed and it takes a lot to change our minds. It's so funny, cause she was such a hippie when she was younger! (Well, I personally think she was a hippie wannabe, but that's another story.)

Anway, the more comforting words I get, the better I feel. Dh keeps telling me basically the same things you guys are. I was thinking the other day, even if I were to take prenatals, I would STILL worry, because I know how poorly those things are absorbed, and my diet would still be the same! *rolling eyes at myself* So, now I'm just focusing on not worrying about it, cause that's prolly worse for the baby than my diet. Which by they way, is getting increasingly better, because my appetite is back!!! Yay!
#74 of 114 Old 07-07-2005, 01:15 AM

Welcome new ladies. I have no new opinions of info to add to the last dozen posts or so; so I'll just update.

I'm now like 13-14?? weeks. WOOHOO. happy to have been feeling baby "tickles" for a bit now. We did go see the MW, just for dh's sake. She's a dear lady and nice to visit with. Dh wants to HIRE her, but I get the final call. Right now I'm haggling with the insurance company over their "newwork deficiency" clause. Seems to me not offering mw care is a deficiency So, I may be doing a service to the many women who want mws but can't afford them it would be nice for her to file the BC for us, so if insurance will cover, I'll hire her; and call a bit too late. Still, then she can do all the baby-stuff (PKU, BC and thats all I guess)

Still doing my thing, eating and resting and being. I am feeling heavy already, I'll be beginning my next sewing project next week hopefully. I've decided to be traditional pregnant lady and wear all dresses this time. No fighting my sciac nerves to get into jeans this time, lol. I've been STARVING. this baby hates animal meats so it's been fish and soup for me. baby hates sweets as well. FHT says girl? I'll reserve judgement, but will knit a shawl for her, just in case. I'm determined to be myself and enjoy every minuite I'm given. Dh is having his long-begged for vas later this month. I'm determined to hide from him until he's no longer "bare" if you get my drift. The very idea of a shaved man makes me ill!! lol. well, look at me It's time for more soup if you ask me, and maybe some PB.

you guys are cracking me up about the vitimains vs no vitimins. I am taking a course as a CBE through ALACE and it is very traditional as far some things go. I'm sure they are enjoying reading my logs each week, everything is well documented but I will not compromise on what I believe. I'll be teaching placenta printing and lotus birth come January
God bless. Grow those babies well.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#75 of 114 Old 07-07-2005, 07:42 PM

Hi Mommas!

Just wanted to post an intro and let you know we are planning a waterbirth at home with my third, dp's second on Jan. 2 or so. We just had our dd at home in water last July, so a new baby so soon really turned our heads around! We had planned a Lotus birth with our dd and it was a really peaceful babymoon. Although, I had very bad afterpains and was quite sore, not taking anything but Arnica after the birth. So, by day three some depression set in and my milk wasn't in yet. After some acetomenophin, a nice hot bath, a movie and pizza, the blues passed. Plus, my mom had just passed away after having ALS for about 4-5 yrs. She was just 54 and died two weeks b/f our dd's birth, which meant we travelled about 3000 miles across the country to attend her funeral.

Anyway, we want to mostly do this ourselves with this baby. I guess I kind of had the wind knocked out of my sails when this baby came as such a suprise. You know, the CONTROL thing. We have found a mw who seems very hands off, but did tell us to get an u/s at 9.5 wks for what she thought was an ectopic pregnancy. We went to a mw she knew who had an u/s machine in her house. She thought it was probably a threatened mc, but the whole experience wiped me out for a couple of days.
I have a mw appt scheduled for next Mon., but I have already let dp know my wishes to have a private pg and birth, without a lot of input from anyone else. So, we have the mw until we move in Sept, and by then I can decide if we want to stay with her, have a UC or find someone who will pretty much leave me alone at the birth.

All of my births have been at home, but my first was in a state where midwifery is illegal. My ds was born at 11.8 oz after a long and difficult labor with some shoulder dystocia that wouldn't resolve itself on hands and knees. Truth is, my uterus was exhausted. I have learned so much more since then!!! The mw at my birth gave me a 3mm episiotomy, with no pain relief or stitches, since she couldn't carry that stuff to the birth. I used to be so used to second-guessing my own thoughts about pregnancy and birth, and now I really have educated myself in self-trust and body-trust. I just worry that my dp might psyche me out during the labor or something, so I may need to keep a mw at arms reach, if I need a woman near me.

This is kind of a wild ramble of a post, but I really love your posts, even more than the due dates, respectfully. Natural remedies and cures are why midwifery care appealed to me before I even considered getting pregnant. I think UC and unassisted birth certainly makes a lot of sense in empowering women to communicate with their bodies and babies in an intuitive way.

Be well,

lisa
#76 of 114 Old 07-08-2005, 06:21 PM

Welcome, Lisa!

Hope your stay and birth is a pleasant one. sorry about the loss of your mom

. Congrats on the newest addition. Ours knocked us for a loop as well, but we're happy now. We had a few dazed weeks of "wow. well, ok. wow" was the only think we said to eachother, our youngest was born just a few months before yours And this makes 5.

I don't understand why a mw would want you to have an us? I mean if a pregnancy is going to be lost then it is...if it's threatened, then using u/s is worse. I imigine it had to be vag, u/s as well....which is even more risky IMHO, bringking the u/s closer to babe. I'm sorry you were bullied into that. UC is healing.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#77 of 114 Old 07-08-2005, 07:05 PM

Yeah, I dunno. We haven't "dropped" the mw yet but I think about it, ALOT. That u/s was not fun. dp and I tried to explain to this mw that had the u/s machine that this was my third baby and I had never chose to have one. She was very nonchalant about it, I guess. She kept pressuring me to eat and drink before hand, and pushing her vitamins and stuff on us. We had literally just tallked with her like an hour b/f, b/c the other mw I was interviewing but thinking of seriously hiring told me she thought ectopic pg. I had several intermittent days of spotting with wandering cramps. It was a mistake I think. dp wants to keep her though, b/c he is worried about going it alone. I am worried about going it with the mw, but I may be able to switch to another I like after a couple of months or just let it go. I could use your support on this list, I am reading alot to stay more informed and avoid mw intervetions.

Luv,

Lisa
#78 of 114 Old 07-08-2005, 09:30 PM

Oh, I just wanted to add btw that I am still nursing my almost-to-be princess of a one year old We had a really nice birth. I want to have another Lotus birth. I have decided to wait until we settle in Sept. to decide on a mw. I am contacting the one I already have interviewed, who does waterbirth and i like pretty well. I think I'll just wait until then. Call it women's intuition or something. I just want some time.

Lisa
#79 of 114 Old 07-08-2005, 09:47 PM

Lie about your due date, add at least 2 weeks to when you think it is, and tell people who are nosy, that date...then you won't get "haven't you had that baby yet?" calls....
#80 of 114 Old 07-08-2005, 09:51 PM

The site lied...the belly button is where the fundus should be at 16-20 weeks. Behind the pubic bone is 12 weeks....but with subsequent pgs you show sooner and are usually a little bigger for # of weeks.
#81 of 114 Old 07-08-2005, 09:54 PM

Uh-oh... I just called my mom, and she asked if I had gotten a midwife yet. "No...." "Well, you NEED to do that soon, honey!" "Oh, don't worry mom...." Gosh, what am I going to tell her? I can't lie to her, I'm no good at lying. They're ok with the homebirth idea, but my mom is so scared of birth because she lost her first, I was induced, and my brother was an emergency csection that she has no trust in the process at all. Maybe I can ask a midwife to be my "advisor", and just tell my mom that's my midwife...
#82 of 114 Old 07-08-2005, 09:55 PM

Pre-eclampsia can be prevented. Have you seen the BlueRibbonbaby.com website? it is Dr. Tom Brewer's nutritional website, and he developed the program to virtually eliminate pre-eclampsia and other disorders in the low income populations he was working with. Following his nutritional guidelines and eating enough protien is the key....Also Adelle Davis's Let's have Healthy Children....I have a friend who had full term 7 lb twins vaginally by using her guidelines, and that was 1978!
#83 of 114 Old 07-09-2005, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Uh-oh... I just called my mom, and she asked if I had gotten a midwife yet. "No...." "Well, you NEED to do that soon, honey!" "Oh, don't worry mom...." Gosh, what am I going to tell her? I can't lie to her, I'm no good at lying. They're ok with the homebirth idea, but my mom is so scared of birth because she lost her first, I was induced, and my brother was an emergency csection that she has no trust in the process at all. Maybe I can ask a midwife to be my "advisor", and just tell my mom that's my midwife...

Hey, there are midwives here on MDC.. so technically you have quite a few of them. :LOL

COMPLETELy understand your situation. I'm there with my step-mom, and I am SO happy she lives in another country. I tell her that I see my midwives regularly and everything is going great. HTH. (cause, hey, I check onto MDC every morning, )

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#84 of 114 Old 07-12-2005, 01:13 AM

Mother in law I mean. she was here, for 2 days less then a month. i barely made it.

Upon hearing we were expecting again (dh told her in private, to spare me her possible histronics) she VOLUNTEERED to move in for the entire month, so that the kids "wouldn't be afraid or grossed out by your screaming" I nearly died right there. She also bought me lots of second hand maternity SHORTS (I don't wear shorts, ever) and then said she's take them to her daughter because the looked to SMALL for me. I was seething by the time she left and as soon as she settles down from her next trip (a month with SIL) I'll have to set her straight. Too bad she'll also be here in Aug, Oct and early Dec. LOL she also suggested we plan to have CHRISTMAS early so it could co-inside with her visit. (do we have an eyes popping out icon here???) I know I sound pissy, but I'm not...I'm LMAO at the pure...(what would you call it balls? audacity? pompacity??) of the woman! how she spawned such an easy going, carefree man as dh I'll NEVER KNOW

Anyhow, just thought I'd entertain you with my story. Dh is home with my shebert so I'm on a mission now!!

#85 of 114 Old 07-12-2005, 08:12 AM
XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog
...I have a friend who had full term 7 lb twins vaginally by using her guidelines, and that was 1978!
One of my good friends had her twins at home, both were over 8lbs... she ate a whole lotta protein!

For the most part I agree with you on the Brewer diet thing. Its not a magic bullet (if you are having toxemia issues due to clotting or immune issues, you need more then this) but for the vast majority of women, it is excellent for insuring a healthy pregnancy. I followed it (well, mostly ) for both pregnancies, and had no toxemic issues. Ds was even born in the caul, and had a beautiful placenta at 42w.
#86 of 114 Old 07-12-2005, 11:44 PM

I know a number of women who took prenatal vits, and still ended up with babies with neural tube defect. So taking it doesn't guarantee health, and not taking it doesn't guarantee defectiveness....Sounds like a good diet you are eating, so I wouldn't worry too much...
#87 of 114 Old 07-12-2005, 11:51 PM

Or you can tell her to leave you alone. My mom thought I was nuts to have a homebirht, but I explained to her(and my dad) that I had done my research and this was the best option for the best health of the baby and me. And they left me alone after that... But if you can find a midwife who will work with you that way, that would be great. maybe you can get her to take your bp, fundal height and weight and call it a prenatal(even if you aren't going to use her)...then you can tell your mom you are under mw care....congrats, btw
#88 of 114 Old 07-14-2005, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Pamamidwife here at MDC is a real supporter of UC. You could PM her and ask if she could be your advisor (define what you mean by that... just a title unless you want her advice or send her money for regular phone consultations). She's in Oregon but I don't think that really matters!!! She can still be your MW!
#89 of 114 Old 07-14-2005, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

New Mamas -- Welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Brewer's Diet -- There's some controversy over this one that I don't know a lot about, but it's soemthing about his religious tendencies and growing mondo babies. Letting my gut/heart/intuition/waterever you want to call it lead my own diet has worked best for me thus far, so I'm sticking to listening to myself here. I've had rather long "pushing phases" with my other children and they were close to 7 lbs. I also have a strong NO NO NO aversion to those high protein diets that seem to have big babies (Bradley Diet, Brewers, Etc). I think my body grows babies in the 7 lb range because that's the best size for me and them.

I ran into the MW I used for my other birth at the book store yesterday. Clearly I'm pregnant at this point as I'm pushing the mid-pregnancy marker. I had called her earlier to tell her that I was pregnant and that I wanted to make an appt in July with her. So, it's funny that we ran into each other out of the blue in July! :LOL We just chatted about the state of midwifery in our MW rich town and about our lives. I did set up an appt with her for later in the month. I don't want any measuring or anything, but just to talk about how I see a MW assisting in my pregnancy and afterbirth care. I know what I want, now I need to be direct with her and see if she's willing to support me in this way.

B-H Ctx are in full swing here. I've been getting them since 18 weeks and now they're a very regular occurrence. My uterus always like to contract quite a bit, so this is normal pregnancy indications for me.

Wishing you all a wonderful day! Oh, and I'm going to change the title of our thread if that's ok? Since the other group is Summer/Fall shall we be winter???
#90 of 114 Old 07-14-2005, 12:52 PM

I am sorry I will be leaving. I miscarried at 15 wks yesterday.

I will post my story at Pregnancy Loss.

Be well mommas and have peaceful estatic joyful births!

Lisa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page