Help me disspell some final fears about U/C - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-29-2005, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, Mamas! I have been lurking here for a month or so.....and you ladies are the only ones who I "know" who believe in this option, who (for many of you) have experienced a truly unassisted birth, and I need your help with a few final old naggy fears or issues that I still have not been able to find good answers to, despite my dabbling for over five years and hard-core researching UC for 2 years.

A little bit more background on me, as quickly as I can, I am currently 23 weeks pg with baby#4! Our first dd was a typical hospital birth, induced at 39 weeks for no good reason, water broken randomly, epidural, moniters, episiotomy, ya' know, "natural" 'cuz she wasn't c-section LOL

Second baby, ds, even worse, they give me an ultrasound at 39 weeks for "elevated b/p" during a hot and irritating June prenatal appointment chasing toddler around the wating room for 2 hours, so wouldnt anyones b/p be 140 over 85.......but so this ultrasound says he is ten pounds and they freak out and send me to get induced right then and there, and me like an idiot goes for it instead of just going home....labor on pit, blablabla end up with a C/S for "failure to descend"

Third baby, Homebirth VBAC, ELEVEN pound boy! Hooray, but my midwife was an extraordinarily mentally ill person, manipulative, deceptive, just all around headcase. At this point I realize that I certainly can "do it"----but here starts the "issues" for me, and if you are still reading this, I am getting to my point!

With this third baby, I labored along just fine, I started around 5am and he was born at 3 that afternoon. Yes it hurt like hell, I sorta stayed on top of things, but the midwife's energy was extraordinarily judgmental and distracting and almost evil......I finally went to sit on the potty and kind of hide from her in there with DH..........and was really pushing hard, baby was coming, probably would have on the toilet.........but she was like YOOHOO whats going on in there? And DH told her (he was trying to be funny not jerky) "I think the baby is gonna come out in the potty" and she goes "OH NO! Get out! Get out here!" and I somehow came into the living room, where she chastized me for not being able to squat, and so I got on hands and knees and she was like okay push you can do it but then her voice got REALLY serious and she was like PUSH YOU NEED TO PUSH NOW OHHH PLEASE PUSH and I pushed with all my might and the baby flopped onto the floor all white and floppy and she was like "Tell him you want him here on earth, tell him you need him.." all this really kinda trippy poetic sh*t........I didnt know what was going on, was he okay, why isnt she "saving" him......I could barely figure out how to turn around and sit down with this cord hanging out, and my poor bottom, and all the blood on the floor.........anyways he pinked up after a little bit, and she carried on for WEEKS about what a "Horrible Dystocia" I had, and how I was a "Midwifes nightmare"............

SO: Now we are in week 23 of our first surprise pregnancy, very happy, and I went to 2 prenatal visits with some super loving crunchy wonderfully professional midwives. I liked them alot......but I felt very strongly that I didnt need them. They also charged $2800 and there is no way no matter what we juggled that we can afford them. So, this "blessing" that we couldnt afford them sorta forced me and DH to finally look head-on at UC, and were are both all for it. The discontinuation of my "prenatal care" hasnt even been an issue, either, the baby is moving lots everyday, and I just feel well and strong. Part of me would like to get a fetoscope and a b/p machine but again, intuitively I feel totally okay without these right now.

SO here is my actual question (s) for you mamas, and these are the really negative ones, the fear-based ones, and I hope I dont come across like that, but to me and my husband, if these last couple of questions got some sort of attention, I would feel 100% freed to go into this birth with a positive frame of mind (did that make any sense?)

1) What if we called 911 if the baby or I were in some sort of horrid crisis---do they "make" you go to the hospital, or do they just help you and leave? Does this redflag you for CPS or anything?

2)What if the baby really is stuck, I have read so much about letting the head come out slowly and waiting several contractions for the whole head to come out, but again, the midwife just absolutley told me over and over how his head turned dark blue and how I "scared her to death", so now DH probably is gonna be so afraid if/when it should happen again.......but alot of the birth photos I look at online, the baby's head is very dark......it seems like only the 6 pounders squirt out quickly........I cannot find a single shoulder dytocial link online that satisfies me........how long is "too long" for a head to be born and what risks are there to the baby?

3)what about checking the heartones during labor? I did not plan on doing this at all, but the few birth stories I do read about true necessary c-sections almost always seem to involve "The baby's heartrate dropped down and didnt come back up so he was sectioned and good thing 'cuz he was wrapped up in cord and was gonna die"..................Would this be possible with an old fashioned fetoscope or do we need to buy a doppler, and then do I need to study midwifery textbooks about decels and all that stuff? (I am using the word "need" here in a facicious manner, I know I dont need anything but I just worry......sometimes........and I dont think woirry and fear have a good place in a UC but obviously I want to do all I can to make sure things are going well w/ baby)

4) What if the baby is breathing wierd or acting wierd or something after the birth, is that an ambulance deal or a pediatrician deal? What if I am still trying to deal with placenta delivery and stuff, and need DH to help me, is only having me and him there kind of too much for 2 people, if the baby is having any kind of issues? Is it "safe" to just have DH there?

*****I had SOOOOOOOOO much pain after the birth and before the placenta came, it was like 45 minutes of transition contractions, but instead of being in birth land with DH's wonderful backrubs, all the focus was on the baby, and I was just sort of sitting on a hard wood bloody floor, unable to move into my positions I needed to, unable to understand how to position myself with this horrendous vaginal pain after 11 pound delivery, dripping blood, cord everywhere, midwife telling me to see if he wants to nurse(!!!!!!)--- I finally TOOK CHARGE and said to midwife "please cut the cord, and take the baby so I can go get this thing out" and she did, and I waddled to the bathroom, put a blue chux under the toilet seat, sat there, contacted while holding DH's hands, found my labor rhythm again, and pushed an enormous 2 pound placenta out onto the pad on the toilet. I then felt wonderful, drank juice, ate muffins, took a bath, and that was that. I worry sometimes about the logistics of little stuff like that, w/out a third person to be there---but we have NOBODY who knows we are planning UC so we dont have anyone we want there.

5)I know this varies from State to State, but how exactly do we get a birth certificate and social security number (I am in Michigan). We had a really hard time with our homebirthed baby, getting the birth certificate was ok because the midwife "filed" somestuff for us.....but when we wanted his social security#, we had to do a TON of back and forth running around, and ended up having to take him to a pediatrician to kind of "prove" he existed (the birth certificate was NOT enough, he needed shot records, too, and since we dont vax, it was a HUGE issue.......) but he ended up with a soc#.

So what exactly do we do, just call our city hall and be like "Oh wow we had a baby at home and have no doctor no prenatal care" --- is there any thing we can do right now to ask ahead of time or do I need to go to some OB once and get a "proof" of pregnancy?

6) I know this subject has been addressed quite a bit in the past, but as far as bleeding after birth.......I have heard take shepherds purse tincture--and I have heard not to. I have heard cinnamon, but I dont have this in tincture form in any of my local health food stores---and Motherwort, which I have been hearing about too, also something called Hem-Halt. Any votes for yes/no on these? Is it harmful to take them if you arent bleeding "too much" but you mistakenly think you are? I have heard that how you feel is much more important than the blood amount-- what if you feel like crap but arent bleeding that much?

7) What about placenta previa, are there ANY ways of pre-detecting this without ultrasound? I have no reason to think I have this, but I know it is a big bad serious one, and would hate to go into labor and do all this preparation if that were the case. any stories on intuition of this one?

8) All these blood tests, PKU and all that, can you get them at the doctor? We have a really nice family doctor who is supportive of no vax, etc, could she perform this, if we wanted it? Our midwife did it last time but she had to re-do it and re-do it and it was really hard on the baby, i think she poked him like 25 times, his heels were all cut up it was so sad.

9) one of the things the midwife did that was the most "doctorly" was to listen to the baby's lungs---since we are taking so much into our own hands, is this something that we could/should do ourselves, and what are we listening for?

10)what about suctioning out baby's nose + mouth, anyone have to use a delee or a regular bulb syringe on baby, and can this hurt them if you do it wrong? why and how would you do this, what are some indications?

Well, I honestly think that is everything I ever wanted to know.........I am looking forward to hearing anything, and sorry so long! Phew!

Mama to 3 homeschooled lovable Kooks, and baby to be, due 10-21-05
#2 of 17 Old 06-29-2005, 03:35 PM

Ok, I'm no expert so I can't answer every question, but I'll try some.
1. They cannot make you go to the hospital, and although there might be a chance someone would call CPS, I doubt it. UC is legal.
2. It doesn't sound like you had shoulder dystocia- it sounds like it just took a while for the head to come out all the way, right? Shoulder dystocia happens when the head is completely out and the shoulders get stuck. There's no danger in the head being slow, Julian's head took several minutes to be born all the way thanks to a nuchal arm and my skin's refusal to tear or stretch- I ended up with an episiotomy because my midwife got impatient.
3. You can check heartrate stuff with a fetoscope in labor, but I don't plan to. I think most of the c-sections due to "fetal distress" are probably totally unnecessary and due to overmonitoring.
4. If something is up with the baby, I am sure you can deliver the placenta without any help. Women have been birthing completely alone throughout the ages (not as a rule, but it happens a lot)- you have your husband there to help!
5. I just plan to call and make them help me.
6. Eating a chunk of the placenta is supposedly the best way to reduce bleeding. I've never heard anything bad about shepherd's purse, and I've also heard that cayenne pepper can help.
7. Most cases of placenta previa are detected ahead of time because there is bleeding in the second or third trimester.
8. I think so, I don't see why not.
9. I don't see why this would be necessary.
10. I don't think suctioning is necessary, and don't plan to have any suction device at my UC.
#3 of 17 Old 06-30-2005, 07:52 AM

Hi Mama of 4.

I am no expert or midwife or even veteran UCer. BUT I am planning my first UC and this is what *I* would do.
1) If I call 911, I would tell them that I will go and see a paediatrician as soon as you are up to it, but am not going to go with them to the hospital now. Tell them what they want to hear. But stick to your guns.

2)What if the baby really is stuck,....TRUE Shoulder dystocia is rare, what they call 'sticky shoulders' can be caused by not allowing baby to rotate and insisting on pushing as soon as head emerges. Follow your body. Check for cord, and allow baby to rotate in their own time. I have read about a baby on the perineum for 30 mins and was fine... Baby is getting blood from cord, and also can start to breathe after head emerges..I would not stay under water in this situation (after 2 ctx) I don't know if it is risky, but I would be stressing about it. You can change positions if shoulders are sticky, anything to dislodge baby. I would stand up, get on all fours, get on my back and lift buttocks, etc etc, I had a stuck baby (no.2) and getting one leg up on the bed and one on the floor shifted baby into right position.

3)what about checking the heartones during labor?
Not going to check mine. As long as there is movement I am happy.
If labor is longer than my usual then I would get dh to check heart beat with a toilet paper tube. (it works!) Or you can buy a fetoscope. I'm not going to.

4) Get some books on UC, and have your husband read some articles etc, just to give him reassurance. I am not having anyone other than dh there.
I don't want him to be my MW, I want him to be my husband! And just help me when I need it.
We don't know anyone we would want there, nor do people know we are planning it.

5)I know this varies from State to State, but how exactly do we get a birth certificate and social security number....~~
They can't go against their own law. To make things easier just collect all proofs of pregnancy you have, and perhaps see a GP or MW to say they saw you pregnant at 39 weeks, even if you go in to just check your BP, have your baby and then go back and say "Oops, we didn't make it to the hospital, I need a cert to say you saw me pregnant"
If you don't want to do that then you could even get some other witnesses to verify they saw you pregnant. i.e relatives, friends etc.

6) With my 2nd I did bleed a bit. But with my others I never had any probs.
I am going to slice a piece of my placenta and swallow it like a pill. No placenta smoothies for me! That is my plan for excessive bleeding. I plan to put baby straight to breast, or do nipple stimulation. Keep up fluids and don't do too much. I am taking Raspberry leaf tea, and have Shepherds purse tea, but I don't have any tinctures.

7) What about placenta previa?
If I start to bleed as in *cups full* then I will transfer.
I have read that the symptoms are excrutiating sharp pains in the abdomen. (unlike labor pains) and bleeding. I believe my body will tell me that something is not right. And I have my other 4 births to go by too.

8) All these blood tests, PKU and all that, can you get them at the doctor? I don't do any blood tests. Not PKU, nothing. If there is no previous family history of PKU, then I wouldn't do it.

9) one of the things the midwife did that was the most "doctorly" was to listen to the baby's lungs---What for? To see if he/she *has* lungs?

10)Suctioning is unnecessary, and can be harmful. When baby is born I will hold face down for a moment to let fluids clear. If I see baby is having trouble I would suction baby's mouth with my own mouth.

HTH!
Look forward to hearing from the experts :
#4 of 17 Old 06-30-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 4
1) What if we called 911 if the baby or I were in some sort of horrid crisis---do they "make" you go to the hospital, or do they just help you and leave? Does this redflag you for CPS or anything?
this really depends... first thing is no one can MAKE you do anything the paramedics are not allowed to withold life saving care unless they feel thier lives are in danger.
I think alot would have to do with why you called and how everyone is doing. It's quite likely that if you tell them you will have the baby seen by a ped the next day and everyone is doing well they'll leave you be. On the other hand they may very well try to force you to go to the hospital, it mostly has to do with that particular paramedic's view on birth kwim..

Quote:
2)What if the baby really is stuck, I have read so much about letting the head come out slowly and waiting several contractions for the whole head to come out, but again, the midwife just absolutley told me over and over how his head turned dark blue and how I "scared her to death", so now DH probably is gonna be so afraid if/when it should happen again.......but alot of the birth photos I look at online, the baby's head is very dark......it seems like only the 6 pounders squirt out quickly........I cannot find a single shoulder dytocial link online that satisfies me........how long is "too long" for a head to be born and what risks are there to the baby?
baby's will "turtle" with a true dystocia... meaning thier head will go back up without any real progress and this will happen for several contractions. A sticky baby is just a baby who maybe needs a little time to rotate. The head might stay on the perineium for what seems like forever. Almost always patience and/or a position change helps this. Most baby's heads are purplish at birth so assure dh that a dark head is VERY normal
Quote:
3)what about checking the heartones during labor? I did not plan on doing this at all, but the few birth stories I do read about true necessary c-sections almost always seem to involve "The baby's heartrate dropped down and didnt come back up so he was sectioned and good thing 'cuz he was wrapped up in cord and was gonna die"..................Would this be possible with an old fashioned fetoscope or do we need to buy a doppler, and then do I need to study midwifery textbooks about decels and all that stuff? (I am using the word "need" here in a facicious manner, I know I dont need anything but I just worry......sometimes........and I dont think woirry and fear have a good place in a UC but obviously I want to do all I can to make sure things are going well w/ baby)
I've never monitored HT in labor (4UCs) You can do it w/a fetoscope although once the baby dips down past the pubic bone it'll be really hard to pick up HT's. My babies don't really move much during labor either. In fact when A kicked during labor I was surprised and it made me worry! LOL I think you just need to trust your body and listen to your heart.
Quote:
4) What if the baby is breathing wierd or acting wierd or something after the birth, is that an ambulance deal or a pediatrician deal? What if I am still trying to deal with placenta delivery and stuff, and need DH to help me, is only having me and him there kind of too much for 2 people, if the baby is having any kind of issues? Is it "safe" to just have DH there?
This is unlikely.. but if there were breathing issues, first thing is Don't cut the cord or let anyone else. I would probably call a paramedic and be prepared to transport making sure that dh stays with the baby at ALL times. If you are having problems the paramedics will make sure you're okay. I would absolutely under no circumstances let the baby go in the ambulance alone. and yes IMO it is absolutely safe, though you'll probably want someone to help with the other kids.

Quote:
*****I had SOOOOOOOOO much pain after the birth and before the placenta came, it was like 45 minutes of transition contractions, but instead of being in birth land with DH's wonderful backrubs, all the focus was on the baby, and I was just sort of sitting on a hard wood bloody floor, unable to move into my positions I needed to, unable to understand how to position myself with this horrendous vaginal pain after 11 pound delivery, dripping blood, cord everywhere, midwife telling me to see if he wants to nurse(!!!!!!)--- I finally TOOK CHARGE and said to midwife "please cut the cord, and take the baby so I can go get this thing out" and she did, and I waddled to the bathroom, put a blue chux under the toilet seat, sat there, contacted while holding DH's hands, found my labor rhythm again, and pushed an enormous 2 pound placenta out onto the pad on the toilet. I then felt wonderful, drank juice, ate muffins, took a bath, and that was that. I worry sometimes about the logistics of little stuff like that, w/out a third person to be there---but we have NOBODY who knows we are planning UC so we dont have anyone we want there.
do the same thing only this time dh will have the baby in one hand. It's really not any more difficult than any other time of your life. You'll figure it out if you need to and you want it.

Quote:
5)I know this varies from State to State, but how exactly do we get a birth certificate and social security number (I am in Michigan). We had a really hard time with our homebirthed baby, getting the birth certificate was ok because the midwife "filed" somestuff for us.....but when we wanted his social security#, we had to do a TON of back and forth running around, and ended up having to take him to a pediatrician to kind of "prove" he existed (the birth certificate was NOT enough, he needed shot records, too, and since we dont vax, it was a HUGE issue.......) but he ended up with a soc#.

So what exactly do we do, just call our city hall and be like "Oh wow we had a baby at home and have no doctor no prenatal care" --- is there any thing we can do right now to ask ahead of time or do I need to go to some OB once and get a "proof" of pregnancy?
I have always needed proof of pregnancy, usually any note from any care provider with your EDD on it should be fine. Be sure it is on the care providers letter head and they've signed and dated it. After the birth call your state department of records and they'll direct you to the department that does birth certs. Tell them you had the baby at home alone and ask for what information they need for you to file a birth cert. In CA I had to bring the baby and dh into the county recorders office. In OK I did everything through the mail. Once you have a BC all you need is your id and SS# to get his SS# if they insist upon a shot record tell them it's against your religion.
Quote:
6) I know this subject has been addressed quite a bit in the past, but as far as bleeding after birth.......I have heard take shepherds purse tincture--and I have heard not to. I have heard cinnamon, but I dont have this in tincture form in any of my local health food stores---and Motherwort, which I have been hearing about too, also something called Hem-Halt. Any votes for yes/no on these? Is it harmful to take them if you arent bleeding "too much" but you mistakenly think you are? I have heard that how you feel is much more important than the blood amount-- what if you feel like crap but arent bleeding that much?
different strokes for different folks... I think Shepard's Purse is probably the most widely used. I've used cayenne for heavy but not hemorrage bleeding. Worse case bite off a chunk of the placenta
Quote:
7) What about placenta previa, are there ANY ways of pre-detecting this without ultrasound? I have no reason to think I have this, but I know it is a big bad serious one, and would hate to go into labor and do all this preparation if that were the case. any stories on intuition of this one?
you'll have ALOT of bleeding with dilation. Also usually baby won't decend and you won't feel those "cervix kicks' that you get late in pregnancy

Quote:
8) All these blood tests, PKU and all that, can you get them at the doctor? We have a really nice family doctor who is supportive of no vax, etc, could she perform this, if we wanted it? Our midwife did it last time but she had to re-do it and re-do it and it was really hard on the baby, i think she poked him like 25 times, his heels were all cut up it was so sad.
yes your Dr or health department can run any of those tests

Quote:
9) one of the things the midwife did that was the most "doctorly" was to listen to the baby's lungs---since we are taking so much into our own hands, is this something that we could/should do ourselves, and what are we listening for?
you're listening for a gurgling sound, I've never worried about it as if baby is in trouble it should be obvious kwim...

Quote:
10)what about suctioning out baby's nose + mouth, anyone have to use a delee or a regular bulb syringe on baby, and can this hurt them if you do it wrong? why and how would you do this, what are some indications?
I would never use a delee on a baby, IMO it's counter productive... I have lightly used a bulb syringe, like you would to get some of the snot out of baby's nose so they can breathe easier. For the baby we had that was really "mucousy" we just hung out with him draped over our arms for an hour or so so the mucous could drain out. Over the next couple days he would occasionally cough up a bit of mucous but it was never a problem.
#5 of 17 Old 07-01-2005, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you soooooooo much!!! I am so happy to hear the voices of reason : )

even in the last 2 days since I posted these questions, I have changed my attitudes about birth and realize I still have a ways to go as far as trying to manage, micro-manage this whole thing!

But thank you for the really helpful answers, I know the slow-to-birth head ones will really help DH, who is still convinced that our last baby "almost died" and that the MW did a special magical trick to unlodge him (She reached in and put her fingers under baby's armpit and corkscrew turned him a bit)........

Well thanks again, I will keep reading and hopefully I can help some of you with something sometime.

Looking forward,
#6 of 17 Old 07-01-2005, 09:44 PM

I'm less of a purist than some here, and I had one UC.

Quote:
That cannot MAKE you, but they will probably bully you, and honestly, if I called 911, I would fully expect a ride to the hospital. They are not trained to make housecalls, but rather to stabilize and treat until they can get you to a medical facility. I do not think this would redflag you for CPS in any way.

Quote:
2)What if the baby really is stuck, ...how long is "too long" for a head to be born and what risks are there to the baby?
My UC baby waited the longest between head and shoulders coming out since I was only pushing when I wanted to. I appreciated the breather, and didn't actually feel the urge to push until I tentatively pushed again anyway. Then my body took over. Listen to your body, and do pelvic rocks in a hands and knees position if necessary.

Quote:
3)what about checking the heartones during labor?
I didn't do this.

Quote:
4) What if the baby is breathing wierd or acting wierd or something after the birth, is that an ambulance deal or a pediatrician deal?
Leave the cord intact until it is white and limp and oxygen via air won't be as immediately crucial. If my gut told me something was wrong, I would not hesitate to get emergency care for a newborn having breathing difficulties. I would probably go by car as opposed to an ambulance or waiting for a ped appointment.

Quote:
*****I had SOOOOOOOOO much pain after the birth and before the placenta came... I worry sometimes about the logistics of little stuff like that, w/out a third person to be there---but we have NOBODY who knows we are planning UC so we dont have anyone we want there.
I found my immediate postpartum condition to be much less uncomfortable after my UC, because I was able to push when I wanted, etc...

Quote:
5)I know this varies from State to State, but how exactly do we get a birth certificate and social security number
I called my local county clerk/records department and asked a "hypothetical" question ("I have fast labors and want to know what to do if I don't make it to the hospital in time, etc") and got the info that way. I did not give my name. I did have proof of pregnancy from an early OB appt.

Quote:
I took alfalfa tincture preventatively at the end of my pregnancy, and had Shepherd's Purse handy. I was prepared to much on my placenta and nurse immediately if necessary. I stayed upright as much as possible until the placenta was delivered.

Quote:
7) What about placenta previa, are there ANY ways of pre-detecting this without ultrasound?
This was a primary fear for me. I opted to get an ultrasound to rule out this possibility and to check for birth defects that would make a UC unsafe for baby.

Quote:
8) All these blood tests, PKU and all that, can you get them at the doctor? We have a really nice family doctor who is supportive of no vax, etc, could she perform this, if we wanted it?
If your doc can't do it, she will likely refer you to the hospital to get them done. (outpatient) I did not get blood tests done on my UC baby.

Quote:
Since she ended up pink and happy, breathing issues were not a concern for me.

Quote:
My UC baby was born a little blue and "juicy" so I immediately laid her over my lap with her head pointing downhill to encourage some of the goop to drain out and then nursed her immediately. It's surprising how much nursing alone can rectify uncertain breathing. You can also suction with your mouth if required. The bulb was my last choice and I didn't end up needing it.
#7 of 17 Old 07-04-2005, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
All this is great advise. Here is a tecnique for unsticking the shoulders although I agree it doesn't sound like true shoulder dystocia happened. Like previously pointed out before, the babys head will look like it is being sucked back into the vagina. Hands and Knees is a great position. Have your husband stick his finger in the babys armpit closest to your tail bone and gently ease it out the other shoulder by the pubic bone will most likey pop out directly after. My sister had an 11 1/2 lb baby with severe shoulder dystocia that was resolved in this manner. My sisters hip was popped out of the socket when the baby passed which proves to me our bodies will accommodate! Once the head is out you have 5 minutes to get the body out. It rarely ever takes this long. It may seem a very long time but even with my sister it was only 1 1/2 minutes. And the baby that is truly stuck is not just dark they are so purple it looks like their face will split ( You will not wonder you will KNOW if you see it)Very rare indeed. I have found the more knowledge I have the less fear I have I think it is great you are asking all these questions! Best wishes for your upcoming birth.

Mom to 6 with #7 on the way Sept 2014
#8 of 17 Old 07-04-2005, 02:25 PM

I am sorry to post again but I had to add My bother in law was very empowered as a father by that birth excperience and they were empowered as a couple by coming through this experience together it was actually very beautiful once the adrenaline subsided.

Mom to 6 with #7 on the way Sept 2014
#9 of 17 Old 07-04-2005, 02:33 PM

Shepards purse if great if you have lots of bleeding.Drinking the tea or tincture although tinctures are the best.The best thing i could've had during my delivery was tincture of Anjelica.MY placentas always take forever to deliver.This helped it out quickly!Eating at least a thumb sized portion of the placenta would be great too.

I think UC's are wonderful.I have had several friends have wonderful and empowering births at home.I did just have a dear friend who did a UC and her son died during shoulder dystocia issues.It is such a karmic life and death situation.
#10 of 17 Old 07-06-2005, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for even more helpful answers........I feel more confident that I did not have shoulder dystocia, just a huge baby (15 inch head 17 inch chest) who came out as best as he could..........I was grateful for the statistic of having five minutes for the head to come out, I know my baby wasnt anywhere near that long......

A new question!
Over the weekend I was at a 4th of July family thing, and after a cursory "do ya know what'cher having?" (meaning sex of the baby) no one would talk to me about my pregnancy because they all know and dissaprove of our previous homebirth---but somehow my being there sparked all these negative mainstreamish type birth chats---and the famous one came up about "My neighbor's friend's baby died because the cord was wrapped around his neck"

Whats up with this one, from a more enlightened group such as is on this board--- is it medical intervention, I know breaking the waters artificially can be a problem for the cord---but what about this issue, is it an issue, and how does it play into UC?

p.s. I feel like all my posts are so fear-based and yucky, but these are the questions that I cant find any solid answers to, the unnassisted birth websites that I have been on at least are SO loveydovey and so ecstatic, I feel like the wierd DebbieDowner in the back row who is spoiling the mood with my "What ifs".........

I do trust birth, but for me, I havent ever had the opportunity to take full responsibility for it, and I want to do so with all my heart, and to me, being as informed as possible for any bad stuff will help clear my heart and head for the beauty and the letting go.
#11 of 17 Old 07-07-2005, 12:28 AM

I haven't read the other responses yet, but I want to respond with my own experiences.

1) if you call 911, they probably will want you go to the hospital, and there's no way to predict how the ER staff will respond. Having CPS called is a real possibility. I don't know if the paramedics can call CPS if you refuse to go to the hospital.

2) The chances of the baby getting stuck during labor is pretty slim with a planned UC- you're relaxed, there are no interventions that could cause distocia, and you're in tune with your body enough to KNOW what position to move into to facilitate birth.

3) I never had fetal hearttones checked during labor. I don't beleive there's any evidence that it actually improves birth outcomes in normal, healthy births.

4) If the baby appears to be in trouble after the birth, drive to the hospital or call 911, depending on how urgent things are. You can always say you planned to go to the hospital but didn't make it on time.

5) Your pediatrician or family dr can do the PKU test and any other tests you want done after the birth. The PKU test isn't even accurate before your milk comes in, so it would need to be re-done anyway if it's done within the first 24 hours after birth.

Birth is safe, unless birth attendents make it unsafe. It sounds to me like you haven't had much luck with birth attendants!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#12 of 17 Old 07-11-2005, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you again for all these helpful reassuring answers!

I am going to go see my (cool, normal) family doc soon to have her write down on some form of paper that yes i am indeed pregnant! I still dont know if i am going to buy a fetoscope, or a blood pressure thingy.........as far as birth supplies, nothing too exciting except a new kiddie pool they have on birth with sol that is deeper than the rest, and some herbal after bath stuff that I LOVED with my last homebirth.it smelled so good and me and baby healed up much faster than other births (as far as my bottom and baby's cord area).......and I think we are going to do the shoelaces or maybe the embroidery thread for cord....towels towels towels........do any of you use sterile gloves for DH or is that wierd? I dont see the need but maybe it is a good idea..........
#13 of 17 Old 07-15-2005, 01:24 AM

I could not have said it better myself. Very complete answer!
#14 of 17 Old 07-29-2005, 06:55 PM

I have a question to add:

What if you have group B strep and are planning UC? Do you treat it with a round of herbs/pills/tinctures for a while before birth, or do you do nothing? I had it in my 1st pregnancy and though I haven't been tested this time around, I was told by a midwife that my chances of having it this time are the same. (We didn't do antibiotics w/the 1st and had no problems).
#15 of 17 Old 07-30-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotterOtter
I have a question to add:

What if you have group B strep and are planning UC? Do you treat it with a round of herbs/pills/tinctures for a while before birth, or do you do nothing? I had it in my 1st pregnancy and though I haven't been tested this time around, I was told by a midwife that my chances of having it this time are the same. (We didn't do antibiotics w/the 1st and had no problems).
I have had 8 kids and have never been tested for this.. I dont really care to even know the status.. when we had our last UC we did nothing ... again your comfort level may vary but I started having kids back when nobody even mentioned this group b strep stuff.
#16 of 17 Old 07-30-2005, 01:55 AM

I am not sure about this I have never called paramedics but I have gone to a hospital in labour after a total UP and nothing was done.

I dont admit to know alot about dystocias I think really if you are left to be alone to your own devices and follow your bodies cues this is a RARE problem.. I am not a big person and I have big babies and they seem to come out just ok? I think instinctively we know what position to assume when pushing out the baby.. I sure did last time!

Never checked.. I own a doppler and I never used it. not even once.. I could feel baby moving around and just generally had a sense things were well.

New babes are often sneezy rattley and noisy! :LOL they can be a bit dusky too.. if your baby is crying.. not grunting or appearing to be in overt stress I think just keeping baby warm and nursing is your best bet. There are newborn exam protocols on the net you can look up if you want to be really technical but we did not do this our family doc checked baby out after.

I tend to be a bleeder for all things not just birth.. I used a wishgarden herbals product called wombstringe.. it was great.

I ruled this out by ultrasound and other serious deformities I wanted to know ahead of time what I was dealing with

we do not do PKU testing both parents need to be genetic carriers to pass it along to a child.. our first child together was tested negative so we have elected to forgo any other newborn testing

well murmers would be one.. and our last baby was born with a small hole in her heart but it was purely cosmetic in nature if you will in fact it had self closed by the time she was 4 mos old. There are some things called femerol pulses (sp) in the babes inner thighs and certain heart defects are noted by an absence of these at birth.. but thats getting pretty technical

I used just a plain old bulb syringe on by babes nose.. I did not find she needed any clearning in the throat

HTH a bit!
#17 of 17 Old 08-02-2005, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

I really do feel good about this, and I know that the baby will be fine, but it does help to get all those final "what ifs" just sort of clarified, you know?

I saw Wombstringe in a birth supply catalog I have--- I will order some for sure, now.

Thank you so much for the response (s)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page