Solo (real solo like) Birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-01-2005, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all

I am a mother of 4.5 living in Costa Rica. I plan on a UC. The thing is that I am single (by choice) and this was very much a planned baby, but I have no one here to accompany me at birth. No partner, no friend, no sister, nada.

I am building a home out in a rural area about 25 minutes from the hospital. Things aren't like the States here. An ambulance may take an hour to show up. I have plenty of neighbors and I am going to try to befriend one or two so that I can take the kids to another house while I give birth.

Has anyone ever had a planned UC TOTALLY alone? This will be my first UC.

I am a bit frightened, but I know I can do this. I just need a little encouragement and mabe someone who has been through it before?

Anyone?
#2 of 13 Old 07-02-2005, 08:54 PM

Hi, Santana!

I personally haven't UC'd totally alone, but I know that many others have. www.freebirth.com is a great place to read some solo UC stories.

wishing you a happy healthy pregnancy, labor and birth!
#3 of 13 Old 07-03-2005, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the welcome!! I will go to that site and check it out
#4 of 13 Old 07-03-2005, 04:44 PM

I've never gone totally solo just because I feel my dh deserves to be there kwim... lol I wouldn't have a problem with it though provided everything seemed to be going along okay.... I would definately try to find some help with the other kids unless they are old enough that they can be left unsupervised. I hope you'll hang out, I'd love to hear the birth story!

By building a house, as in you your self is contructing it or you're having it built?
#5 of 13 Old 07-04-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have a DH

I am having it built, but participating in the whole event as much as I can
#6 of 13 Old 07-05-2005, 12:28 AM

I may be alone as well...my DH travels a lot so if he's away I will probably go solo..I am nervous but mainly it's about practical things...I am sure everything will go perfectly fine!
#7 of 13 Old 07-05-2005, 01:49 AM

there are also a couple moms on www.birthjunkie.com who have birthed solo, but most are on Laura Kaplan Shanley's site...freebirth.com (org?)
#8 of 13 Old 07-05-2005, 08:28 PM

I like the idea of birthing alone very much, but I haven't done it.

What are your specific concerns? Do you think you would prefer to have someone with you if you could? How did you decide to UC?

Sounds so nice, building a house in such a beautiful area, with no one to answer to but yourself.
#9 of 13 Old 07-22-2005, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

I guess my concerns lie in the fact that I will not have a car, there will be no one with me and the nearest hospital is 20-30 minutes away. 911 is a joke here. If they can even FIND my house in an hour, I will be lucky.

I would be more comfortable having someone with me who has a car, but that may not be possible. I don't know anyone, really.

I believe in a woman's ability to give birth. I believe that birth is natural and I believe I can do it alone, but those what ifs are still there......
#10 of 13 Old 07-23-2005, 12:39 AM

well Santana.. it looks to me like you need to decide how much those "what if's" are going to influence your birth plan... IMO I would prepare for what I could, shepard purse/cayenne for hemorrage, actual cord clamp JIC so I didn't have to try to tie a tight knot, that kind of thing... do what you can at home and have faith for every thing else!!
#11 of 13 Old 08-21-2005, 09:10 PM

Santana,
Congrats, i think it is awesome. Plus, can you imagine driving on those roads during labor??? UGH!! The potholes are treacherous! I lived in Costa Rica in my late 20's for a time. My bio family has a place there that I oversaw during the construction, but I primarily did agricultural consulting in the rainforest in the north by Guatuso. I think you can do anything you set your beautiful mind to.
Take care sister friend.
#12 of 13 Old 08-23-2005, 06:44 PM

I had a solo birth, but it wasn't planned. It was planned to be a couples uc, but my labor went much faster than I expected. My water broke and I'm sitting there thinking man, this HURTS!! much more than I remember! But I sent dh on to work anyway. Baby was there in exactly 2 hours.

I may plan a solo birth this time though (#3 expected 4/4/06) Because I really preferred being on my own. Good Luck with whatever you decide. Is it a possibility to give the hospital a head's up? Or maybe the emergency services? If you tell them you are alone, and suspect a fast labor, maybe they will not take so long, IF you do end up needing help....just a thought.

Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#13 of 13 Old 08-24-2005, 05:15 PM

You can do it!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page