Mothering Forum banner

Baby position and fast labor questions

489 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  NowOrNever 
#1 ·
I'm 30wks pregnant with #5 and my baby is currently in heads down/posterior position. Three out of my four babies were born posterior. Does that put me at a higher risk to have another posterior baby? My last labor was under an hour and very intense. I had borrowed a birth tub for a waterbirth but didn't have time to fill it up (of course!). I MUCH prefer laboring in water with back labor, but am scared of not having time again. I also have spina bifida, so my back pain in labor is something very painful and intense.

Any ideas on what I can do??

#2 ·
There does seem to be a tendency for some moms to have more than the average number of OP babies. IMO, it very well could be something posture/movement related. Are you careful your last few months how you sit/lay? Do you do any prenatal yoga, or anything else to encourage correct positioning? position isn't necessarily something that happens to a mother, it's something she has some control over.

in the last few months:
don't sit in a recliner or reclining position.
use a birth ball when on the computer/watching tv, as much as possible instead of regular chairs.
spend some time in hands and knees. you can rock, crawl. (NOT chest to the floor)
pelvic tilts along the wall.
some women like to wear a stomach band, you're encouraging the baby to be back to belly with you, so in the correct position the baby's back can push your stomach out further.

you might want to learn how to check for positioning yourself, so you can know how much positioning work you need to do.

#3 ·
You brought up an excellent point! I have CVI or chronic venous insufficiency so the valves in my veins basically don't work. I have severe varicose veins from my hips/vagina all the way down to my toes. I usually have no choice but to sit and prop my feet up to help with the swelling/blood build up. I'm thinking I really need to come up with a better position. I'm also a sewing wahm, so I spend a lot of nights sitting at my machines. I'm going to get a birth ball for that and my computer time to see if that helps.

Any ideas on what position I can use for my vein problems? Ack! I never realized this might totally be a big part of the problem!
:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.