The baby's Lie--someone help me here. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-25-2005, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Am i worrying too much? I'm about 8 months now and i'm worried about the baby's lie. I can't seem to figure it out myself. What way is it? I can't tell. What way is it suppose to be right now? Does it move around? SHould i find someone who can tell me? Will it change the next day? I've done a lot of reading, but i still don't understand! help!!
#2 of 13 Old 07-25-2005, 08:51 PM

I may not be much help, but if I were in your situation, and was unable to determine baby's position, I'd call up a midwife and ask for an external palpation. You know, see what she says. (I'd not go to a doctor, do women really need doctors to lecture them about being 'unsafe' by planning a u/c?)

Just my thoughts.
#3 of 13 Old 07-25-2005, 09:21 PM

Do you have any midwife friends or more experienced friends who could feel and tell you? I know I have difficulty telling too... I'm not having un-assisted as much as I'd like to (dh doesn't ) but I haven't really seen a midwife yet. I am 29 weeks and meeting a new midwife lady this friday. If she teaches me anything about how to tell myslef, I'll let you know!
#4 of 13 Old 07-25-2005, 09:41 PM

This is one of the reasons I loved my fetoscope so much! :LOL It was easy to tell where the head was, because I could hear the heart nearby... and therefore the whacks I was getting on the top end were clearly the feet. Because I knew where the head was (even though it was always so far down that I couldn't palpate it) I knew that the hard round thing in the middle of my belly was the baby's butt, and we used to rub it every night.

By this point the baby is probably head down. There is plenty of time to get into optimal position. I remember at your stage being worried that the baby was lying slightly diagonal, but I don't think that's uncommon, and it caused no problems for me. A midwife should be happy to check it out for you. Or get a fetoscope. I enjoyed listening to the baby with DP every night, and we loved being the only ones involved in my prenatal care.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#5 of 13 Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 PM

Check out www.spinningbabies.com They have a section called "belly mapping", and it can help you figure out where the baby is.
#6 of 13 Old 07-27-2005, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the link! I liked that website!

I have been somewhat convinced that my baby is breech, although I know it is a bit early to be "worried"......but I feel a smallish hard ball under my diaphragm and the crazy fox trot down waaaaay low all the time. Also, this baby doesnt seem to "kick" so much as shudder, have little freak-outs, and quiver.........has anyone else had this?

Also, just thinking about all those inversion techniques makes my heartburn kick in so bad---- how do you go upside down like that and not have burning puke in your throat?

Is there any harm in doing the breech techniques if the baby is NOT breech?

thanks!!
#7 of 13 Old 07-28-2005, 03:07 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I read on gentlebirth.org site that you shouldn't do the breech techniques (such as lying inverted, etc.) if baby is not breech. Things like rocking on hands and knees and sitting on your birth ball are ok. HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 4
Is there any harm in doing the breech techniques if the baby is NOT breech?

thanks!!
#8 of 13 Old 07-28-2005, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, i've been wondering myself if it is harmful to do breech exercises if you don't know for sure. So the other day i spoke with a doula (not very supportive of UC, although she said she was by email...) anyway, she was TOTALLY trying to tell me that a breech UC was deadly. I've been reading and reading...but someone tell me that's not true.
#9 of 13 Old 07-28-2005, 06:41 PM

I just wanted to say mine was over 10 lbs and still managed to turn and flip a couple times in his 9th month.
#10 of 13 Old 07-31-2005, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglefamily
Yeah, i've been wondering myself if it is harmful to do breech exercises if you don't know for sure. So the other day i spoke with a doula (not very supportive of UC, although she said she was by email...) anyway, she was TOTALLY trying to tell me that a breech UC was deadly. I've been reading and reading...but someone tell me that's not true.

Whoever said breech UC was deadly has never had one! I know several ladies who have had surprise(one was one of twins) breeches who UC'd....all the babies are fine. As a matter of fact, you are more likely to be OK with a breech if you UC, because you can feel where the baby is and respond to how to birth the baby the best way. In the hospitals they don't know anymore how to catch a breech, so it sometimes gets botched and the baby either dies or ends up with malfunctions somewhere. Ina May Gaskin has a great article in Midwifery Today about being prepared for a surprize breech, since some babies do flip just before birth from vertex to breech...
#11 of 13 Old 08-01-2005, 12:05 AM

Mine's been head-down for months now, and he/she definitely shudders and quivers more than kicking. I think at this late stage that's about all they can do... definite kicks are hard to come by with the limited space they have. Oh, to make you feel better, I can often feel a hard ball under my diaphragm. I know it's a foot, though, because further over to the side, waaaay up under my rib, is the butt. They tend to let their backs (the heaviest part of them) swing over to one side or another if they are head down and anterior. Find that little hard ball you feel and see if you can follow it down toward your pubic bone. If it "disappears" somewhere along the line, it's probably a foot. Oh, and I find that the easiest way to feel how my baby is lying is when I, myself, lie on my back. I don't like to stay that way for long, but it seems to be better that way for some reason.

Oh, I'm a little over 35 weeks at the moment, just for reference.
#12 of 13 Old 08-02-2005, 02:17 PM

Thanks, hoppytoad! (sometime I feel like lately I have been some sort of threadkiller--- most times i post something, the thread quickly and abruptly comes to an untimely end : ????? )

I dont know why I am having such trouble telling what I am feeling with this baby! I think in a few more weeks I will really go through that spinning babies website and try to do the "belly map" thoroughly. It is easier for me on my back, too, but I hate being like that and feel real barfy real quick. I am 28 weeks.

sometimes when I lay on my side, the baby does SO much shifting and quaking I think the whole baby is turning a whole new way, but again, I cant tell.

I am not afraid of a breech U/C, but obviously would not prefer it, seems much trickier. Anyone on here have personal experience with this?

thanks!
#13 of 13 Old 08-02-2005, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your help and support!!!!! I feel like i'm pretty sure the baby's head down, and i THINK i felt it drop down last night. This makes me feel SO Much better. I feel so great and ready for this, and if it were breech, i don't think i'd worry at all! I just feel really ready--thanks in most part for all the support here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page