Alcohol - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2005, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone, just curious how everyone here feels about alcohol during pregnancy/postpartum?

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2005, 12:40 AM

Based on the research with which I am familiar, I tend to agree with the European viewpoint that limited alcohol use during pregnancy is a low risk behavior. Despite that, I chose to abstain almost totally during my pregnancies. There is some small risk to drinking small amounts alcohol. I have one sip of wine (not a glass, a sip) each Friday night and Saturday morning as part of my religious observance. Usually the wine is diluted with grape juice. I also have a couple of glasses of *very* dilute wine at the Passover Seders each year whether I am pregnant or nursing. I might feel comfortable drinking slightly more, but I am simply not interested. I feel fine about this level of alcohol consumption.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:44 AM

I feel that drinking small amounts of alcohol (1 or 2 drinks at a time) after the first trimester is safe. I've had 1 drink on 2 occasions thus far in my pregnancy, and will continue to have a drink every week or so throughout.
I think that after your milk supply is established, it is safe to drink as much as you like since the percent of alcohol in breastmilk is the same as your BAC, which even if you are legally drunk, is only .08%, MUCH less than a nonalcoholic beer and lots of medicines, tinctures, etc.
It's amazing how many people freak out over the idea of having a glass of wine during pregnancy but then get pitocin, epidurals, demerol, etc. during labor and take any RX their doctor gives them during pregnancy. I feel MUCH safer drinking a glass of wine than I would taking almost any prescription drug. I would even smoke pot if I had morning sickness and knew where to get it, but I don't have morning sickness and don't have a drug dealer.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:53 AM

I also adhere to european research.. its alot more liberal than what we get in the litigious continent of north america :LOL I enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner whenever I feel like it. Some points during pregnancy I did not fancy it at all.. and at other points I actually craved it, I tend to follow my bodies cues.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

interesting... keep the opinions coming.

I myself have had about 3 glasses total starting around 28 weeks. One night after an extremely stressful day my body was so tense and i was having a REALLY hard time releasing it...a glass just made my body let go of all that tension in about 10 minutes (and boy was i buzzed after not drinking a thing for 7 months).
Then some friends were visiting and i made myself a wine cooler type thing.
And today, I did the same (withou the friends). Then I became curious as to what all your thoughts were on drinking!

oh, by the way, i think i read somewhere that alcohol prohibits the production of oxytocin, so it would be beneficial to have a glass of wine if you went into premature labor right?
My grandma always says that when you've been feeling like your way overdue, full of tension, and can't just let go to have the baby, drink a glass of wine and then go to sleep. She did this with 5 of her 7 kids and went into labor within a day each time. My SIL took her advice just this april and had a glass on an evening when she couldn't sleep, was feeling some contrax, but nothing near "productive", just keeping her awake and tense... she had a glass, totally relaxed, knocked out, woke up two hours later in labor!
Has anyone here experienced this or something like it?

Old 07-29-2005, 06:58 AM

I'm sugar sensitive and a self proclaimed alcoholic, so for me, no alcohol whatsoever. And since these things are/can be genetic, probably a good thing to keep it away from the baby and any nursing kids (ie outta my body and milk).

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 07-29-2005, 10:12 AM

I'll have an occasional beer or glass of wine. I drink Non Alcoholic beer too because I really like the taste of beer, especially in the summertime.
My midwife said the best way to get labor going is a pizza, beer and some good sex!!!
So... there it is!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama
It's amazing how many people freak out over the idea of having a glass of wine during pregnancy but then get pitocin, epidurals, demerol, etc. during labor and take any RX their doctor gives them during pregnancy. I feel MUCH safer drinking a glass of wine than I would taking almost any prescription drug.
:
Old 07-29-2005, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Coltrane
My midwife said the best way to get labor going is a pizza, beer and some good sex!!!
So... there it is!
:LOL

Old 07-29-2005, 02:33 PM

I'll join the chorus...what hottmama said is right on.

I have consumed very small amts of alcohol during my pregnancies and have consumed larger amounts when nursing :LOL Usually after baby is asleep for the night, but not always.

Sometimes I think I'd like to drink a bottle of wine DURING labour : :LOL Wouldn't that be nice?

I have heard that bit about having a beer and labour starting. Didn't work for me (I tried it with #2 during all the prelabor when I was a week overdue).
Old 07-29-2005, 02:53 PM

I was just thinking about this last night. During labor, I'm totally having a glass or two to relax. I thought about buying several bottles for everyone who will be at the birth. And dh chimed in that we should have champagne too, for after the birth! After abstaining for most of my pregnancy, I am looking forward to using wine to relax in labor. I think that small amounts of alcohol are ok during pregnancy, but I decided not to this time.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:13 PM

I am personally ok with having A beer or A glass of wine late in pregnancy. I was too afraid to in my first 2 pregnancies but we had a midwife last time and she really really reassured me about it and I did have a few beers in the third trimester last time. I seem to have so much tension at the end of the day, and it is nice. I did it maybe 6-7 times during the end of my last pregnancy, and for some reason beer tastes so good :

I have been quite "Lax" once the baby is born and nursing well about alcohol. And coffee. for me, I havent noticed any problems with the baby whatsoever, if I did I would quit immediately........but yeah after a long day with the kids, and 45 nursing sessions, I will definately join my hubby and friends and have a good dark beer (or two!). theres no worry about me getting drunk or wasted or anything because I just couldnt/wouldnt do that knowing I had a little baby to be in charge of all night. Plus I always fall asleep so early during those first months that there is really no "party" in this party animal

I know this thread isnt about coffee, but MAN O MAN is it the fuel and the secret and the lifeblood to our homeschool and our family's general safety sometimes!! LOL!! It smells like crap to me when I am pregnant, like copper-y or something--but I do miss the theory of it and am looking forward to enjoying it again after baby is born!

thats what works for me.......if I had to "advise" someone else, I wouldnt be sure what the perfect answer was.

Cool topic!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:08 AM

I am actually surprised to hear all of you saying that some alcohol during pregnancy is ok...not that I think you're wrong, it's just somehting that you NEVER hear anywhere else at least not in this country. I myself didn't have a drop, mainly after seeing my baby brother and sister born with fetal alcohol syndrome (but she <step-mom> was drinking shots of whiskey all day long), the thought of any alcohol reaked me out, this was one of my few paranoid things in pregnancy. Although I did smoke pot during my first trimester because of sever morning sickness (boy did that work like a charm..lol) stopped once the morning sickness went away, no adverse affects on baby, he's just really calm..lol, probably just his personality though.

Anyway, I was just surprised, pleasantly, to see some rational thinking, especially the thing about being ok with epidurals, demerol, RX's etc., but not a sip of wine..seems silly to me too.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:32 PM

I was just thinking of posting this question last night...and here it is!!! Guess i needed to know. I'm about to have the baby any day now, by the way. Have been feeling like a few sips of wine latly, but haven't had any for about a month. my husband is a chef...so wine is all around us...talking about it, reading about it, buying it etc.

The owner of his restaurant has 10 girls! anyway, i went to one of the wine dinners my husband put on about 2 months ago. I decided i would drink a sip or two of the 6 varities that were paired with each course. I sat with the owner and his wife...and she was taking my drinking a little odd...actually, so was everyone around me, but i just knew it was ok. All of the FOOD actually made me feel worse than the drinking, i think. So i had about a glass and a half total that night. i'd say i've drank maybe 10 glasses total the whole pregnancy. We visit vinyards all the time, too...i eat a lot of cheese there!

I was thinking yesterday how the owner of the last restaurant my husband was chef at was from P.rico. he said when women are pregnant there, they drink and smoke all the time and nothing is ever wrong with their kids...i don't know if i believe that, but i know where he's coming from. When we lived in spain people kept on drinking. not so much, but the women still drank. they even bring their kids to the bars there...babies and all. its just the way they do it, you know?

also, we had alcohol at our baby shower/party and after the party got started, i felt a little odd about it, because everyone was acting like it was a little odd..i think. i snuck about 1/2 a glass of white zin in my iced tea....i felt like it was a crime.

about COFFEE!!! man, i drank 3-4 cups total during my second trimester--always organic. i've had a few decaf latte's latly. which is odd, because i know decaf is chemically and milk is...well, milk...but i've just felt like it. My husband and i are (ok, WERE) really into coffee...we love trying different espressos, special ordered stuff. when i was breastfeeding i drank 1 espresso everyday for a long time after my son was 1. i tried drinking it earlier but i really do believe that it made him more edgy. (did you know one shot of espresso has 1/2 the caffine of coffee?) anyway, i tend to get really hooked on coffee, so i probably will try to keep the consumption down after the birth...but i know it HELPS when you need it...i've been eating mostly RAW, and i tell you, it feels a lot better than drinking coffee everday. i think that eating a bunch of crap during your pregnancy (and the rest of your life)...like soda, a bunch of white bread and sugar is a lot worse than drinking a bit of alcohol. and i second the drugs while in labor thing...geez people are so silly sometimes.

anway, thanks for starting this thread.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama
I feel that drinking small amounts of alcohol (1 or 2 drinks at a time) after the first trimester is safe. I've had 1 drink on 2 occasions thus far in my pregnancy, and will continue to have a drink every week or so throughout.
I think that after your milk supply is established, it is safe to drink as much as you like since the percent of alcohol in breastmilk is the same as your BAC, which even if you are legally drunk, is only .08%, MUCH less than a nonalcoholic beer and lots of medicines, tinctures, etc.
It's amazing how many people freak out over the idea of having a glass of wine during pregnancy but then get pitocin, epidurals, demerol, etc. during labor and take any RX their doctor gives them during pregnancy. I feel MUCH safer drinking a glass of wine than I would taking almost any prescription drug. I would even smoke pot if I had morning sickness and knew where to get it, but I don't have morning sickness and don't have a drug dealer.

exactly how I feel about it. I had the occasional glass of wine throughout my pregnancy and have a glass of merlot every other day or so now that I'm nursing (it helps us both sleep better- especially since teething began)- and yes pot is THE cure for morning sickness.
and my babe couldn't be more perfect

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 08-16-2005, 05:16 AM

After looking at my options i decided that a drink every now and then would be fine.That might be because I didn't know I was pregnant with my first until I was 10 weeks and had had a really good St paddy's day right before I tested. Ds is wonderful and smart.
I also had a glass of champagne and a glass of wine last year when I was 32 weeks at a wedding and my friends were smart enough not to raise an eyebrow in my presence.
I also think its wierd that my frineds who are sooo paranoid about every little thing during thier pregnancies then get all of the drugs they can pumped into them at the last minute during labor.I've just had noone to say it to.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

User Tag List