What did you buy or are you buying anything for your UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2005, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if I really *need* a birth kit. Other than maybe a few Chux pads and scissors and a string for the cord, what did you use or do you plan to have on hand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2005, 10:29 PM

*I* haven't really bought anything...but MIL is insistant on buying SOMETHING. So she bought a birth pool (found a quality one for $20) & pump. So I bought two shower curtains (our floors are carpet). I plan on buying more towels since we don't have very many of those to begin with.
Um...already have scissors and string(but I'm still planning for a lotus birth...).
Food...hehe, lots of easy to eat snacks (I'm thinking watermelon! ) and plenty of liquids.

Herbs for after birth bath.

Oh yeah, a bottle of champagne and a box of chololate covered macadamia nuts to celebrate!!

**And since this is the first babe, gotta get some cloth diapers (I plan on trying to sew some too), buy or make a sling (will probably try to make one first...only if I get frustrated will I buy one...)***

family and friends have sent enough clothing. and MIL bought the carseat too. :LOL now that I think about how much we didn't buy, I guess everyone else realizes how broke we are!

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:50 AM

I'm going to buy a pool and a hose/other accesories and a plastic sheet for the mattress. Oh, and I'd really like to have a baby scale to weigh the babe.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:51 AM

I'm planning on buying a baby scale, chux pads, OB pads (mainly for fluid, TBH, considering the geyser I let loose with last time!), & a heating pad (to put in a pillowcase to warm the receiving blankets). Oh, & some shepherd's purse, if I can find it. I already have pulsatilla on hand and a pool identical to the mythic fishy pool. I read (I think it was here!) about using braided embroidery thread to tie off the cord; I might do that or I might just crochet something with fingering-weight yarn. Considering how much I crochet, I think that'd be very apt. I'll just use my kitchen shears to cut the cord, no need for something special there.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 07-30-2005, 01:25 PM

Hmm this time around not alot :LOL had the pool from my last birth never used it and my kids played in it a bit last summer.. Im going to clean it out with some bleach and set it up again this time we shall see how I feel about it in labour. I ordered a couple of cord clamps.. a new peri bottle and I use all cloth pads now ...dh liked using the clamps last time and requested them this time I figure whatever since the placenta and baby attatched to it is his job at that moment :LOL

I plan to get a heating pad as well for PP use (wicked afterpains!) and a scale to weigh bubs maybe a few new towels thats it!
Old 07-31-2005, 12:12 AM

I'd like to find/borrow/buy/make:
- A small crockpot for hot compresses. I just love these.
- Unknown homeopathic that the MW used at my previous birth for... well, she said she uses it at every birth now, because since doing so, she hasn't had a slow to start baby. When I took it during my last labor there was something that just felt SO right about it. I need to find out what tincture it is.
- Pretty tie for the cord.
- My DH may want some kind of heart beat listening device.
- Birth Ball (I just love this for later pregnancy and then also for birth)

I have plastic shower curtain, some chux pads, lots of towels, scissors, etc.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:25 AM

This time I didn't buy anything special for the birth. I birthed on a thick, dark blanket which washed up just fine, cleaned up with towels, got a bowl from the kitchen for the placenta, used my hair-cutting scissors (sterilized) for the cord.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

What do you all plan to use on the cord? I was thinking I'd get some goldenseal because I have heard it works wonders drying the cord up. Has anyone here any experience with this?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arora The Explorer
I'd like to find/borrow/buy/make:
- A small crockpot for hot compresses. I just love these.
Arora, can you tell me about this? How do you do it? Thanks!
Old 07-31-2005, 11:51 PM

Sure thing, spudisle. You just take some kind of soft cloths -- cut up prefolds, washcloths, cloth baby wipes, etc and put them in some water and turn on the crock pot. It keeps them a perfect temperature for moist heat. Some people like to add things to the water in the crockpot (favorite herbs, essential oil, etc). I'll have someone lay them on my back or I'll hold them on my perineum close to pushing or during pushing. I've always been drawn to the feeling of warm water for birth, but never managed to have a water birth. This really gives a similar warm heat sensation, in my experience. The crockpot is easy to use and just keeps things the right temp. Some people will put olive oil in instead of water.

Ooh, the so the cloths I'm using this time around -- double sided deep plum velour wipes that I bought for the baby. Mmmm. They sound so yummy already!!! :LOL
Old 08-01-2005, 12:45 PM

I think I've heard Pamamidwife say that Goldenseal is so fine that it is too easy for the baby to inhale? In any case, you don't need to do anything to the cord, just keep it clean and dry. None of my babies' cords were treated with anything and they all fell in about three days.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:14 PM

Arora, the crockpot of warm compresses sounds like something I would really like for this birth. :

Double sided deep plum velour....mmmm....does sound yummy!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-07-2005, 02:28 AM

I have read the same about goldenseal. Seems our babies have really short fat cords though ( and their mama has a problem looking at stumps) so I like to treat them. We've done lotus before and will try this again.

I don't know that I'll buy anything but a shower curtain liner (we moved and have all glass showerstallsnow) this time. We bought cordie scissors last time for remembrence (supposedly the last baby and still have them, should we cut the cord (will only do so if it bothers the older kids). and have more blankets and diapers then I know what to do with (I like to sew, and last baby is only 1.5). I may make a few special hats for baby. I have a THING for infant sweaters.

for me I want new socks (I have a thing for brand new socks), and nice fruit of the loom cosy things to wear. I'm also making some gigundo cloth pads.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09

User Tag List