grnbn76- emergency cesarean, 7/04 story
Hathor -- UC 7/04 story
Mamajaza -- UC 7/04 story
gr8fulmom -- UC 7/04 story
luna13mama -- UC 7/04
Chandar -- UC 7/04story
Klothos -- UC 7/23/04 story
madrone -- UC 8/19/04
TinyBabyBean -- midwife-attended 8/04story (if you're still reading - you may want to relocate your birth story, as that forum is closing...)
violet -- UC 8/19/04
Oshunmama -- midwife-attended 8/04 story
lovemygirl -- UC 9/9/04story
mellie-bellie -- UC 9/27/04 story
fourlittlebirds (formerly blueviolet) -- UC 9/04 story (first UC 7/01story )
JesseMomme -- UC 9/21/04 (first UC 11/02 story )
StacyL -- Hospital transport 9/19/04 story
4xmamamia -- UC 9/30/04
story
DancerMom -- UC 11/12/04story
Ame -- UC 12/9/04 story
laurata -- UC 12/10/04story (first UC 3/02 story )
Lula's Mom -- UC 12/12/04 story
AmyD -- UC December 04 story
nikirj -- mw assisted 12/04 story
Asheville Mama -- UC 1/3/05
zonapellucida -- late January 2005
Chiromom -- 2nd UC 1/23/05story (first UC 2/03story )
Dandylion -- UC Feb 1 2005story
Mama2Lennon -- hospital 2-8-05
Hayliesmom -- UC 2-16-05
mehndi mama -- UC 2-12-05
KateSt. -- UC 2-17-05story
Kinsey43 -- 3-10-05
hawkfeather --unhindered w/mw 3-24-05story and pics
jenniebug -- mw 3-26-05
sprinkle pocket --UC 3-23-05
Mamagaia (Rebecca) --UC 4-1-05
liamandpipersmama (Laura) --UC 4-17-05 story
FreeRangeMama -- UC 4-22-05 story (first UC 9/03)
june'smom -- UC 6/3/05
cresorchid -- UC 6/29/05story
SunflowerMama (Lisa)-UC 6/05 6/05story
amandaanne -- UC 7/14/05story
Devaskyla -- UC 7/15/05
Skim (Kim) -- UC 7/18/05 story
ecurlycue (Elizabeth) -- UC 7/26/05
heldt123 (Jamie) -- hospital 7/29/05
Binah Yeteirah-July 29, 2005story
moonlightinvt-8/1/05
rainbowmoon 8/10/05story
Quickening- UC 8/17/05
ChildoftheMoon (Brandi)- UC 8/25/05 (1st planned uc born still 7/19/04 peacefully at home with mwstory)
Expecting...

Selissa-June/July 2005
hoppytoad (Karen)-Aug/Sept. 2005
shell024-early Sept. 2005
teachinmaof3 (Heather)-early Oct. 2005
Loriana (Dana) EDD 10-31-05
Folkymom (Kelli) EDD Nov/Dec 05
milquetoast-EDD 11-05-05
DreamsInDigital- EDD 11-20-05
Mamaperk- Due 12-05 (1st UC 6-03 story)
Arora the Explorer-EDD 12-10-05
kynd mama-EDD 12-13-05 Planning UBAC
hottmama-EDD 12-28-05
Rockies5 (Carrie)-EDD 1-17-06
feebeeglee - EDD February 2006
yvonnemlv-EDD March 2006 (1st planned uc-mw 9/03story)
amyjeans -EDD March 2006 (1st UC 10/9/04)story)
rachel -EDD 4-30-06 (first UC 10/25/04 story)

Please PM me for changes and additions

See less See more
#4 ·
Woo hoo, August!

Arora the Explorer, you asked about the line of dilation... DP said that when I was on all fours pushing out Pearl's body, the line was really long. But that there was no change until the very end (duh!). So I don't know what to think! Really I'm sure I opened up all the way suddenly, since she was born so quickly. But who knows??

#6 ·
subscribing

can't believe my lil one is over 6 weeks along now already... already imagining the birth scenario in different ways and seeing what feels good... heheh.

See myself solo birthing. hmm.. lil one here trying to eat my breakfast, :LOL gotta love 'em!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skim
Arora the Explorer, you asked about the line of dilation... DP said that when I was on all fours pushing out Pearl's body, the line was really long. But that there was no change until the very end (duh!). So I don't know what to think! Really I'm sure I opened up all the way suddenly, since she was born so quickly. But who knows??
It's always interesting to hear how dilation really doesn't matter too much at all! You had mentioned a non-invasive way of measuring dilation... "line of dilation". I don't actually know what that is. It didn't sound internal. Was it?

During labor, I plan to touch my baby's head a lot (if I want to like I usually do), but I may invite my husband to touch as well. I just don't want to focus on the amt dilated. It's so meaningless... kind of like fundal height at times! :LOL

DH and I are going on a trip at the end of this week. We haven't talked much more on his fears about UC (and birth in general... his grandmother died due to childbirth complications when she had his mother and then his own mom developed a blood clot due to malpractice during the delivery of her youngest. My DH was in 1st grade and they didnt' think she'd make it.) His plan is to read White's Emergency Guide to Childbirth while on vacation coming up. I think it will help him see what he already konws. Should help his nerves and create another jumping off point for discussion.

Does anyone have any UC books to lend me? (I'll return them when I get back) I'm more than happy to pay shipping. I've read Laura Shanley's book, but none others yet.

#10 ·
Quote:
It's always interesting to hear how dilation really doesn't matter too much at all! You had mentioned a non-invasive way of measuring dilation... "line of dilation". I don't actually know what that is. It didn't sound internal. Was it?

From http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/birth.html
I personally love this site!

Quote:
A research study in 1997 hypothesized that the purple line that creeps up the natal cleft can be an indicator of cervical dilatation. The line begins at the anal margin at the start of labour and rises like a mercury thermometer. When it reaches the top, the woman is fully.

Lancet 1990 Jan 13;335(8681):122
Clinical method for evaluating progress in first stage of labour.
Byrne DL, Edmonds DK

A midwife, Lesley Hobbs, has just published an article in the Practicising Midwife(1998) 1:11, and she is finding this a quite reliable indicator of cervical dilation (after much practice) She gives a diagram of the various dilatations but you'll have to access the article to see it.

The natal cleft begins at the anal margin running towards the sacrum. tailbone) and up her back.
pretty neat I think

#11 ·
Oooh! Thanks, Amy.
That really is a cool site!

So, I find myself a bit torn when researching for the birth. On one hand, I think it's neat to have tricks and tools... such as the external dilation methods. But, then on the other hand, I feel like I don't really want to know too much of that kind of info, but rather let my body be my guide and not my brain. I do feel like I need to know about challenges that may arise during labor or birth. How do you all find the balance between what info to study and yet allowing your body to do the work it was made to do?

#12 ·
Hey- there are some mamas on this thread that are due anytime now!
Selissa-June/July 2005
Binah Yeteirah-July 2005
moonlightinvt-July 29 2005
rainbowmoon -August 2005
ChildoftheMoon (Brandi)- late August 2005

ohhh we wanna now the scoop!

how you mamas doin?

#13 ·
NAK

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyjeans
From http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/birth.html
I personally love this site!

pretty neat I think
Yeah, that's it. DP read about it in the Heart and Hands midwife book.

I still feel it was accurate, AND that DP didn't have any previous experience looking for it to assess dilation. My regret is that I asked him what he saw...

And Binah.... hope you have that baby with you. I've been thinking about you, EDD sister!

#14 ·
I'm still here. Baby 5 is kicking and stretching and making me eat grilled veggies with cheese. I'm simply happy to be bloomin' with another baby tonight, trying to take my time and enjoy it.

wishing the birthing mammas well. watching for news and prayer for you.

#15 ·
hi hi hi. uggh I am soo nauseous. I just made some ginger tea and am praying it will help. All I want to do is lie down and sleep all day. But my 2 babies are not up for that! Oh i cant wait to be past the 1st 3 months!
Man, what a winer huh?

#16 ·
Only a few more weeks to go. I had my first leg cramp last night. It was horrible, and now I am hobbling around. Can't figure out why I had one, my calcium and magnesium intake is great, and I have been active. Sleep is getting harder too, just can't get comfortable! And getting up off the floor(we sleep on the floor) multiple times to pee is hard, maybe I will start sleeping on the couch. Other than all that
I feel good and happy. I don't have everything done, but would not be upset if baby decided to make an early appearance. I feel done enough if you know what I mean! But I will wait until he is ready. Can't wait to hear the stories of my fellow birthers.
Thinking of you Binah

Brandi

#17 ·
Keeping an eye on you mamas! Brandi, I'm counting down the weeks with you.

Arora the Exp -- I can indentify with so many of your posts! I didn't bother learining, keeping track, etc of dialation. Like an earlier post of yours said (maybe on another thread), intuition was my main guide. I didn't time contractions either. I was afraid all that "outside monitoring" would steer me away from my internal focus.

#18 ·
Hey everyone... I'm about 36wks now... down for the last month stretch! (And by "stretch"...I really mean stretch...my body has been kinda kinky. Especially if I'm in one position for too long.)

Amyjeans- I had a pretty rough 3 months too.
But once its gone it seems so long ago! Get that rest!
Ooh, and that ginger tea worked wonders for me... (i think I went overboard sometimes...DP said I smelled funny :LOL )

Rockies- "Grilled veggies and cheese" mmm
You're making me hungry!

Well, we finally MOVED! And I'm coming around to having the house organized. DP is really feeling the pressure to "provide" right now as we are very strapped for cash. Sometimes I feel so helpless yk? I think I'm going to paint a series of pictures and try to sell them framed. With all the time I DONT have.
I'm getting SOOO excited!!! If I'm this excited now, I can't imagine what will be going through my mind when I start having contractions!
I think I just figured out that when my stomach has been getting all hard and I tell DP that the baby's just "pushing out" of my stomach...those are BHs?? I never even looked up exactly what those feel like! Lol. Am I right? Or just confused...

Anyway...gotta go cook some spinach ricotta pie!!

#19 ·
I'm almost 20 weeks here! First heard the heartbeat about a week ago with my stethoscope, and have been feeling HUGE kicks for almost a month (my partner's been able to feel them since I hit 16 weeks). My BP is doing great (it was really low at first).
I start back to school in a couple of weeks (I'm graduating in May!) which I'm looking forward to some. We just bought a king-sized air mattress and a 4" memory foam topper (we were all on a futon mattress because a real mattress won't fit up our staircase!) which is soooo exciting, and we are shopping for a car since we don't want to ride the bus with 2 kids and the baby will be too small to ride in the bike trailer. Hopefully by the beginning of September I'll be able to boast about our new ride (we're looking at used Volvos and Hondas).
My 2.5 yr. old is really excited about birth and keeps talking about how I'm going to push the baby out. He likes to feel the fetus kick and listen to its heartbeat.
It's so exciting to hear of great births on here, it seems like there are more and more each month!

#20 ·
Hi all!

Wow, this is so exciting with our due soon mamas all lined up! Yay!!!
Wishing you each peace and joy!

Kate, it's always nice to hear that someone else identifies!
I love that UC has so many different approaches and they all work for the mamas who choose them.
I really do feel like I work best when I let my body do the work and let my mind take a backseat.

Michelle, yes those sound like BH to me! People seem to really experience BH differently. Some people complain of them HURTING BADLY, but others just feel a tightening or a loss of breath. I just experience them as a tightening. Sometimes they can get more intense near the end of pregnancy, but I like to think of them as good practice for labor. Besides, anything that gets the uterus tones is A-OK in my book!

Mandy, how cool that you heard the heart beat yourself with a stethascope!
I'm thinking my DP would like a way to check the HB, but I'm not sure. Good to know just a stethascope would do that.

#21 ·
nak

Hey all-

Just got my dd's birth certificate today! I'm excited because the state required a "birth corroborator" who had to be a registered birth attendant or a county health person, but we just used our chiro for it... and it was processed by the office by mail with no questions. One less battle I have to deal with, you know?

#22 ·
hi ladies.

Leg cramps. I have to be careful here too. I get them as well, and no doubt it is also caused by poor circulation. Just carefully keep those calves moving. I get charley horses regularly, but am certain it isn't diet-related.

I eat constantly yet am **** hungry. normal at 5 mos I suppose.

anyone know anyhting about flying while pg. I think I'll be about 27weeks and going across country to my little sisters wedding (I'm a big purple braidesmaid don't ya know??)

#24 ·
just check the airline's site on their policies. i know continental for example you are allowed to fly at ANY point in pregnancy unless you are showing signs of physical labor. and they recommed that you don't fly within 7 weeks of you due date or something and if you're a week or two from due date they recommend you check with your physician.
I say it's fine if you feel fine. If you're really close to birth...well thats up to you. hehe.

#25 ·
no I haven't placed the tickets just yet. I've got about 10 weeks before I leave and because of the altitude difference I'll only be gone a few days so I don't get used to ALL that oxygen")

#26 ·
Well, I haven't had a chance to read this thread all the way through, but here's my birth story. I've been lurking here and there since the birth, but no time to post. I don't think I'm going to be able to learn to nak with a newborn and a 3 yo anytime soon. LOL! I wanted to finish my birth story before I forgot anything, and before I started posting again.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...67#post3578967

Enjoy! I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.