Unassisted Childbirth on the Discovery Health Channel - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-31-2005, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mindy Goorchenko and her family will be appearing in an episode of "Amazing Babies" this Tues., Aug. 2nd at 8pm and 11pm Eastern Daylight Time on the Discovery Health Channel (see web site for additional dates and times - http://health.discovery.com/schedule...i=111205&gid=0 ).

As some of you know, Mindy is the woman who delivered her own twins unassisted while her husband tended to their two-year-old, and calmly captured the event on video. The result (other than two beautiful babies!) was the inspiring DVD "Psalm and Zoya: The Unassisted Homebirth of Our Twins."

Mindy said the production crew was very nice. However, be prepared for the usual dramatics those of us who have watched these shows have come to expect. The description of the episode on Discovery's web site reads as follows:

"A plan for homebirth with a midwife goes terribly wrong when the pregnant mom has to deliver her twins on her own; and one of the babies is a breech birth."

While it's true that Mindy had planned to have midwives at the birth, anyone who has seen the DVD knows that she was not the least bit worried when they didn't make it in time. In fact, she was fully prepared to give birth alone and had planned for an unassisted birth throughout much of her pregnancy. As she wrote in her birth story:

"Since we had conceived our babies naturally, we had no reason to think we couldn't give birth to them naturally as well. We started looking for a midwife. This was easier said than done. We interviewed several yet none quite meshed with how we wanted this experience to be. Rather than trusting in the process, most of the midwives had fear about the birth of the second twin and I did not feel comfortable having that attitude around me during birth. We decided to simply go it alone. I had always wanted an unassisted home birth...I just didn't think it would be with twins! My husband trusted me to make that decision and felt comfortable being the only 'attendant' at the birth. I knew in my heart, soul, and bones that these babies needed to be born at home into the safest environment possible and that the birth would go well."

Once again, I am somewhat disappointed (but not surprised) that the production company chose to put a dangerous spin on the birth - at least on their web site. Let's hope Mindy's optimism, enthusiasm and confidence comes through in the actual episode.

In any case, I'm always excited when UC gets national (and international) exposure! Speaking of which, I wonder whatever happened to the UC story that was supposed to be published in Mothering this summer. As far as I know, they never published it.
Laura
#2 of 7 Old 07-31-2005, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Thnak you for sharing that.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#3 of 7 Old 08-03-2005, 11:13 AM

they did put a "sensationalized" scary spin on it at the beginning (the words "deadly" "scary" "risky" "brain damage" were used) but by the end, during the end of her segmant, it was very positive, saying it was a birth that reflected the way they lived, or something like that. And her midwife that arrived late was very calm about the whole thing, very positive, so that was good. I was so glad to see the show b/c I've been wanting to see the DVD!! Awesome....
#4 of 7 Old 08-03-2005, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I watched it, and yes, tryed to laugh (wince) through the REDICULOUS voice-over and enjoy the birth of the twins! It was neat to see the breech baby's leg out, I didnt feel dread or terror, and I thought the mom was so awesome, of course!

the other births were re-enactments so I couldnt get into them, but thanks for telling us about this episode! I might watch it again on mute when i need inspiration (thanks TiVo)
#5 of 7 Old 08-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

Isn't that awsome, i just read her story in Compleat Mother this month. Her twins are beautiful. I felt really incourage after reading her birth story. I can';t wait to have a homebirth!
#6 of 7 Old 08-04-2005, 01:25 AM

Saw it, loved it. The music that they added drove me a little , along with the "scare" comments. However, the parents and the footage of the actual birth itself was great!!
#7 of 7 Old 09-07-2005, 01:20 AM

Mindy Goorchenko and her family will be appearing in an episode of "Amazing Babies" this Tues., Aug. 2nd at 8pm and 11pm Eastern Daylight Time on the Discovery Health Channel (see web site for additional dates and times - http://health.discovery.com/schedule...i=111205&gid=0 ).

Is there still a way that I can view this miracle??!
I just recently stumbled across this post..

Happy and safe birthing to all!!

Ohh.. please respond to my private email since I don't get to visit the website often..

Thanks, my email: chabadiacity@hotmail.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page