Is "gestational diabetes" bullcrap or not? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 08-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
Many women here on this UC list and others have had "huge" babies with no complications, and in fact, many of them swear that their larger babies were EASIER to birth than their smaller ones. It's possible that many of the complications in that hospital birth could actually have been avoided by avoiding the HOSPITAL with it's EFM, supine position, and lack of food and movement. It's *possible* that many of the complications in that hospital birth were *caused* by the hospital itself.

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
#32 of 36 Old 08-07-2005, 01:51 PM

check out this article
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#33 of 36 Old 08-08-2005, 12:04 AM

Hee hee, I love getting on here and seeing others have already made all the pertinent points, so I don't have to do any work. :LOL I love MDC!

FWIW, I was quite healthy this last pregnancy and I was thirsty a lot.

Oh, and somebody mentioned a 35-weeker being 'big' at 6 lbs... well, most 8.5 lb term babies are probably around 6 lbs. at 35 weeks. That's not that big... and seeing as how many women are able to birth much larger babies when under conditions that facilitate normal physiological birth (i.e., not your typical hospital birth,) that's just not something I personally would be concerned about.
#34 of 36 Old 08-08-2005, 12:42 AM

I am going to have to be the voice of dissent and say that unless you have a specific reason to be concerned (and I don't think being thirsty is), if I were you I would not get a glucose monitor. It will just cause you to become obsessed with your blood sugar count.

The GD thing is mainly hooey. Eat healthy, not too many refined carbs, and even if you have GD you and baby will be fine. That's what the docs tell you to do anyway, unless it is really severe.
#35 of 36 Old 08-08-2005, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone, even the ones who have a bit of a case of the anecdotal evidence!

I really do feel good, and am just thirsty, although not even as bad as last week, I am glad to have this discussion sparked.

My 11 pound baby was just right for me, and I am a tall person, so that wasnt the problem. I just wondered if thirst in itself was something really "bad".

As for now, I wont be monitoring blood sugar, but it would be my style to DIY before i went to any Dr.

Love to all,
thirsty mama
#36 of 36 Old 08-11-2005, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 4
Ok, so here is my possible, I hope not, issue: I am incredibly, horrifically thirsty. Like I will pour a huge huge Glass of water and literally throw it down the hatch. My mouth is dry.

So what should I "do"? I dont want to do anything! I am not necessarily afraid of a big baby, if that is the whole deal because our last one was 11 pounds. (But on a google search of GD symptoms one was previous large baby) But I am six foot one, 200 pounds and so is DH.

Please help, mamas. thanks
I'd start eating as though I had diabetes and see if that helps. If it doesn't help, go to a doctor at that point. The diet for controling diabetes is a very healthy diet.

From what I can remember of what I've read (how's that for a recommendation) a large baby is the main concern of people who want to micromanage. Of course, some of those people think that "large" is 8 pounds, lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page