Ucac? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-09-2005, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping to have an "accidental" UCAC sometime in April. I'm strange, and I don't have the same reasons as most people for planning a UC, but that's what I want to do. Anyone else?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#2 of 13 Old 08-09-2005, 05:06 PM

Oh my, congratulations!

So, do tell, what are your reasons?
#3 of 13 Old 08-09-2005, 07:48 PM

I didn't plan of having an UC with Tatum. I just knew though that it would happen and never held back. My labour was too quick for me to have time to call my midwife, but the thought never entered my mind and I was okay with that.
#4 of 13 Old 08-12-2005, 10:26 PM

Rynna!!! Congrats! So you are going to have an UC, hey? That's awesome!

Yay for rynna!

so what are your reasons?
#5 of 13 Old 08-12-2005, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, BeanBean and BooBah were both born under difficult circumstances. After BeanBean's birth I had a seizure and he was taken to NICU; I didn't get to see him at all for nearly 24 hours, and then I had a hard time holding him because the Mag Sulfate I was on made me weak. I couldn't hold him for as long as I wanted to, and couldn't nurse at all... it just sucked royally (the whole experience did, really, except for the epidural and the massage afterwards). BooBah was born by emergency c-section for a prolapsed cord, so I didn't get to hold her for an hour (they stitched me up and I'm pretty sure they gave me something to put me to sleep then). I nursed her as soon as I had her, and didn't let her out of my sight after I got her but still... I didn't see her until she was all cleaned up.

I've had two children, both born of my own body, and I've never even seen a brand new baby up close and personal! That just seems screwy to me. I want to touch my brand new, unbathed baby. *I* want to give the first bath! I want to know what vernix smells like, and what an umbilical cord looks like before you cut it (and afterwards, for that matter). I want to see a placenta! It seems strange to me that I've had two children and never been able to experience these things. And so, if things go according to plan, I will "accidentally" have my baby at home, sit and enjoy him/her for an hour or so and then we'll go to the hospital and I'll check myself in. :LOL I still want my massage, and the food at Women & Babies is just un-freaking-believeably good (the food in all of our local hospitals is good, but Women & Babies is known far and wide for having such yummy stuff :LOL). It's like staying in a hotel with room service that brings you pain pills if you want them, it's simply lovely. :LOL

#6 of 13 Old 08-13-2005, 01:38 PM

Sounds like some good reasons, Rynna. It's absolutely fascinating what our bodies can do without "intervention". I loved looking at my placenta, seeing where the baby was inside the amniotic sac, letting the placenta stay attached until it started getting in the way.... doing everything at my own pace. And I loved catching my own baby. It was a very empowering experience overall.

And sounds like you have a good hospital in your area, mind as well take advantage of the good food if you can, too
#7 of 13 Old 08-14-2005, 04:58 AM

When I first saw the acronym all I could think was "unassisted caeserean after caeserean" ???

Now THAT would be an interesting birth . . . LOL
#8 of 13 Old 08-14-2005, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn_elliston
When I first saw the acronym all I could think was "unassisted caeserean after caeserean" ???

Now THAT would be an interesting birth . . . LOL
:LOL All I can say to that is, um, NO! :LOL

#9 of 13 Old 08-14-2005, 01:11 PM

Hey, those were some of my reasons too. Not strange at all.

I'm curious, though, it sounds like the reason you couldn't be with your babies after birth had to do with emergency situations rather than hospital protocol? Are you afraid that the hospital would interfere even with a normal birth and postpartum? I mean, I know I've read hospital birth stories in which the mother's wishes not to have her baby washed, to see and handle the placenta etc., were honored. And if I couldn't trust them to honor such wishes, I think I'd be worried about going in after an "accidental" UC as well -- who knows what they'd insist on?
#10 of 13 Old 08-14-2005, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
I'm curious, though, it sounds like the reason you couldn't be with your babies after birth had to do with emergency situations rather than hospital protocol? Are you afraid that the hospital would interfere even with a normal birth and postpartum? I mean, I know I've read hospital birth stories in which the mother's wishes not to have her baby washed, to see and handle the placenta etc., were honored. And if I couldn't trust them to honor such wishes, I think I'd be worried about going in after an "accidental" UC as well -- who knows what they'd insist on?
This is a very good point-- I'm not at all concerned about the hospital interfering with a normal birth or postpartum period. I'm just very eager to be the first person to touch my baby, and I want some time to process that all by myself. I suppose I could ask for it, provided that I did not need another c-section and the baby wouldn't need to go to NICU. Thank you, this is something new for me to think about.

#11 of 13 Old 08-15-2005, 01:29 AM

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of a UC. Just trying to understand your reasoning.

Playing devil's advocate for the other side, you could always have the massage at home and the good food catered! Personally (okay, this part I find a little strange :LOL) I can't imagine getting up only an hour after having my baby, getting dressed, and checking into a hospital! Oh my gosh! That's a lot of effort to go to just to be rubbed and fed. And especially when you really don't know how your arrival will be met -- are they going to freak out that you've not had medical care and order a bunch of tests and examine you? Are they going to insist on taking the baby for observation? I mean, of course you could decline those things but it might be more of a hassle than it's worth.

Besides that, your uterus is still clamping down, hormones are still changing, that's a hell of a time to be moving around and dealing with people. Ideally (as far as the normal physiological process goes) the mother should have her attention only on herself and the baby, not be distracted by outside stuff, for her body to heal properly and for the hormonal process to continue undisturbed (for things like the chemical bonding and lactation.)
#12 of 13 Old 08-15-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
I've had two children, both born of my own body, and I've never even seen a brand new baby up close and personal! That just seems screwy to me. I want to touch my brand new, unbathed baby. *I* want to give the first bath! I want to know what vernix smells like, and what an umbilical cord looks like before you cut it (and afterwards, for that matter). I want to see a placenta! It seems strange to me that I've had two children and never been able to experience these things.
For real..that's why i'm having a UC. We had a midwife planned and then something hit me...like it was a scam or something. (this is my second child..first was BAD hospital situation..was suppose to be a hombirth, long story) I was just saying to my husband yesterday how strange it is...you know, people have a kid or two in the hospital and they act like they've had a kid..but ask them any questions, and they know NOTHING about having a baby. it freaks me out. really sad. my mom didn't even know that the placenta was attached to the cord....geez.
#13 of 13 Old 08-15-2005, 01:27 PM

I have to say I do agree with 4littlebirds. But if you want to get out of the house an hour after your baby is born, well, that's your decision. I was glued to my bed for the first 2 *days* after my UC, just totally absorbing every moment with my new child. Every one is different though. some people have the energy to get up right away and go make supper. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page