When UCing, tears? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-10-2005, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holding my brand new baby, so I'm gonna try and make this concise.

In cases of tears, do you UCing mammas find a midwife/ob to suture the tears, or do you just leave them to heal on their own? What if it's a really bad tear?

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#2 of 8 Old 08-10-2005, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
nak

I let my first degree heal by itself, adding calendula to my peri bottle.

But I would get a second degree or worse sutured - because I have no extended family or good friends who could come and help out at home, imo the essential thing you'd need to be able to stay in bed with your legs closed for a while. I would prefer no stitches at all in my perfect world.

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#3 of 8 Old 08-11-2005, 10:35 AM

I have a UCing friend. She tore her second time and had a midwife come suture. I'd do the same thing.

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (6), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)
#4 of 8 Old 08-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Is it me, or is there just not that much tearing going on with UC (and other natural body lead pushing, birthing in supportive posititions, touching your perenium, etc)? I've not ever torn during any of my births. Is it just me?

Congrats on your new baby!!! Yay another sweet son for your family!
#5 of 8 Old 08-12-2005, 12:02 AM

generally, the mom is more relaxed, so is able to stretch more and better. In the hospital there is generally so much tension, emotional and physical, that tears are both more likely and more severe. I have never seen anything worse than a first degree(1/4 inch or less) in a homebirth, and that was along an old episiotomy scar. But I am sure it sometimes happens. If the tear is longer than a half inch(2nd degree)I would see if a mw could come stitch. There may be some muscle tear that might need looked at.
#6 of 8 Old 08-12-2005, 02:11 AM

I planned to not get stitches, believeing that i would not tear, or it would be minor...well, at the time i didnt know it, but i tore horribly, (I knew i tore, but assumed it was minor and/or that it would heal up on its own) third degree, from anus to clit, internally and externally, basically, i have no more vagina, its more like a gaping hole with my cervix in the center, although my actual rectum stayed intact....by the time i realized it was not right, weeks later before i really inspected the are due to extreme soreness...it was too late to really do anything about it.....in retrospect, i wish i had checked and gotten stitches...i had horrible pain for months..it was at about the 9 months mark before i could have "sex" without bad pain..now, at almost 11 months, with much lubrication, the pain is very faint. I say "sex" because...well, theres not much left..a very short, like maybe 2 inch vagina for DH to put his penis in. (sorry if TMI)......Anyway, i know my story is extreme, i dont want to scare you, a tear of my level is very unlikely, especially in a UC....and i had labored in water for some hours, and i used a hot compress and manual perineal support, and was never on my back for even minute, did not used forced pushing, my body totally pushed the baby out on its own, the baby was not huge..under 9 pounds....and even still, the horrible tear..FWIW, my skin is very not stretchy, despite taking a lot of EFA's (omega 3's )in pregnancy...as i was supporting my perineum through the contrax..it just became obvious to me that my skin was stretched to its absolute max..and only like a sliver of the babys head was coming through..finally, after several contraxs of crowning, the baby just burst through, tearing me so badly. Again, because of this, i will have a back-up plan to get sutured if necesary for all future births.
Jess

CPST
#7 of 8 Old 08-12-2005, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arora The Explorer
Is it me, or is there just not that much tearing going on with UC (and other natural body lead pushing, birthing in supportive posititions, touching your perenium, etc)? I've not ever torn during any of my births. Is it just me?

Congrats on your new baby!!! Yay another sweet son for your family!

I would assume that UCers do have less tears, but still some women will tear, even with the most gentle, self guided pushing, so I was wondering what happens in those cases. I just had a midwife assisted hb, and had one 2nd degree tear that my midwife said looks just like an epis. I'm wondering what I would've done if I had uc'd. I was thinking about it, but for my first birth, wanted some guidance. My wife birthed our first son in the hospital.

And thanks for the congrats, we're thrilled!

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#8 of 8 Old 08-12-2005, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would say find someone to come to you, maybe during pregnancy discuss it with a midwife.
I was cut and tore with #1 and #2 in hospital the repairs were not good and left a mess, over sewn and uneven lots of extra tissue bits so # 3 born into my own impatient hands I tore and opted not to be sutured- #4 smoothed out all the old scar tissue and no tearing I really slowed down and concentrated on no tearing moving the tissue around so that any place where there was tension I smoothed a little slack into it.

one little trick you can do to figure out how badly you have torn
while looking into a mirror with you pulled open so you can see in do so kegels if the tissue comes together during the kegel then it is not into the muscle- if it separates it is into the muscle- also look to see if there are any bleeding vessels or deep bruises

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page