Possibly a silly question about postpartum bleeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2005, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Stupid questions, but...

Alright, so everything says upwards of two cups of blood loss is considered a hemorrhage.
It also says gushes just after birth, and after the placenta separates are normal.
I've also read that it's the "slow, continuous" hemorrhage that is the dangerous one, not the gushing kind (which usually shuts off before it becomes a problem).

I don't remember how I bled with my daughter, except that lochia lasted 7 weeks and returned briefly at 9 weeks.

So, if you continue to have lochia, how do you tell the difference between 'slow continuous' bleeding that's lochia, and 'slow continuous bleeding' that's not? Does the bleeding ever stop during the birthing process? (IE. between birth of the baby and placenta separation).
When does it stop being bleeding and start being lochia?

I don't plan on watching my bleeding like a hawk, but I am curious because there doesn't seem to be a real clear 'line' here.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2005, 10:38 PM

i am a postpartum RN and we estimate how things are going with a method of how much blood on the pad visually if things are going good, otherwise we weigh pads. 1 gm = 1 ml of blood loss. here is what we go by...

Scant lochia: Less than one-inch bloodstain on the peri pad within 1 hour, or blood observed on tissue after wiping.
Small lochia: Less than a 4- to 5-inch bloodstain on the peri pad within 1 hour.
Moderate lochia: Less than 6- to 8-inch bloodstain on the peri pad within 1 hour.
Heavy lochia: A saturated peri pad after 15 minutes but less than an hour. The blood is bright red, with or without clots.

http://www.nursingceu.com/courses/47/index_nceu.html

i found the above link helpful, scroll down to Assessing Blood Loss.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for that link! It is helpful.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 08-22-2005, 09:51 PM

WOW wonderful link--- I have been wondering, too, about blood loss, specifically between delivery of the baby and delivery of the placenta. Is there alot of blood at this time, or is it more after the placenta you have to "worry" about?

User Tag List