Advice on using Hypnobabies self-study - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-15-2005, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only have the CD's. Listening for 4 weeks now, 8 weeks left to go. ALWAYS fall asleep listening to the CD's. They are so relaxing. How do I know if I can really go into hypnosis? When I don't fall asleep, there are a lot of distractions around and I just listen as long as I can.
Also, need a list of the key words for my husband to use on me. I know of PEACE, and RELEASE. Are there others?
Any pointers would be appreciated.
Kathy
Cam4 (birthcenter), Ian almost 2 (unintentionally UC), Baby due Oct 5th, planning on UC with a newborn check by my midwife.
#2 of 5 Old 08-16-2005, 10:14 AM

You'll probably get the most thorough answers from the women on the Hypnobabies yahoogroup, which is open to women using any form of hypnosis for childbirth. You can sign up here: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hypnobabies/

But I suspect that in order to benefit fully from the program, you're going to have to get ahold of the written materials that support the CDs. For instance, though I haven't received mine yet, I know that you aren't supposed to be listening to the tracks in order ~ there are specific instructions for each of the 6 lessons (the 6th is the maintenance routine). You can see the Table of Contents for the program, including a description of each lesson, by clicking on the Table of Contents link near the bottom of this page: Hypnobabies Home Study Course.

Good luck!
Carolyn
#3 of 5 Old 08-16-2005, 12:07 PM

I'm not doing hypnobabies, but I am doing hypbirth ...

I know that sometimes it seems like I've fallen asleep, but I really haven't. I'm doing the program, and then all of a sudden it's time to 'count up' and the program happens to be ending.

Is this what happens, or do you happen to wake up hours after the CD has ended?

It's just that sometimes deep relaxation of hypnosis programs can mirror sleep (down to not remembering the program) but the programs are actually working ...

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#4 of 5 Old 08-16-2005, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the replies. First, I was unaware that the hypnobabies yahoo group was open, thanks for that. I have gleaned a little from the website and another chat room (which I can't find now - LOL) where a lady described using the program in depth.
As far as falling asleep, I know that I am waking up at the end feeling refreshed like you are supposed to, yet really don't remember much.
I know the course materials I am really missing out on is the birth partner's guide. For my last birth, I studied Michelle LeClair O'Neil Better birthing with Hypnosis - awsome!
Thanks to you both and best wishes!
Kathy
#5 of 5 Old 08-17-2005, 03:11 AM

Hi!

I used Hynobabies and loved it! You NEED the printed materials. I found them very helpful and informative. I can't stress enough that you need to listen to those CDs A LOT and in different positions. I always listened at night when I was lying in bed. During my birthing time, I had a hard time relaxing while sitting or standing because I had never practiced. I never had any BH surges (I ended up being induced and C/S), but for my next pregnancy I hope to be able to take advantage of the BH surges for walking practice.

I will also start listening to the CD's the day I get a BFP! Man I slept GREAT after listening to that program I'll also utilize the fear release more next time. I felt so silly with my fears (like pooping/puking in front of my hunsband) and didn't realize I hadn't really identified the big fears. Definitely scour the yahoo group's old posts and birth stories for more inspiration. www.pregnancy.org has an "official" hypnobabies board but it is very seldom used, although Kerry has posted some great stuff.

When I told the nurse at the hospital that I was using hypnosis, I know she walked out of the room and laughed. It was so defeating. For many reasons, I'll have a homebirth next time. If you do go to the hospital, I just wouldn't say a word. Turn off the lights and explain that you just want to be alone in the dark and for them to please leave. It is harder to make fun of someone who just wants some space than someone who is using something other than an epidural for pain control. I knew they were waiting for me to fail which made that epi and C-section even harder. So that's my advice from having BTDT.

Also check out www.spinningbabies.com and the book Back Labor No More

Good luck!

Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page