To all you super fast birthers.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this might be the most un-natural, non-PC, bad naughty thing I have ever posted (so far) : , but I would LOVE to know if there is any common factor in these Mamas who have the super fast births? there have been quite a few here lately on MDC who were like 1-2 hours---I gotta say, Im so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Raspberry tea sluggers?
Yoga?
Inner peace?
Athletes?
Mental "readiness"?
Family history of this?
Small baby?
Lots of braxton-hicks?

I am going to leave it at that, I am too tired to barely take care of my children, I am really afraid what some 2 day (or week!!!) labor would do to me, although obviously I will be grateful for whatever is meant to be blablabla (I hope this doesnt invite anyone to start in on me about how much I suck.................................)
#2 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hmm, I get to the hospital each time already 9 centimeters. And pushed babies out pretty quickly thereafter. I did do a pregnancy yoga class with each baby. My babies were just under the 7 lb mark.

Just lucky? I was never sure.
#3 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 08:01 PM

I had my first in about 6 hours

My second in 1.5 hours

My third in about 3 hours

I hate raspberry tea, never did yoga, had 8 pound babies, wasn't athletic during pregnancy

I did have lots of BH with all three. I also got adjusted regularly to keep my pelvis balanced.

But I have another theory:

Lots of pregnancy sickness in the first trimester seems to somewhat correlate to fast labors. I think it may indicate strong hormone producers. Anyone agree?
#4 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 08:08 PM

First of all, you do not suck.

I have tons of BH- I swear I'm in labor for the last 5 months- so maybe I don't really have FAST labors, but super super longs one? LOL

I think you can chalk that up to genetics.

I have mild morning sickness during the first trimester- meaning I feel nauseated, but rarely ever throw up- like one 2 times in 4 pregnancies.
#5 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiromom
But I have another theory:

Lots of pregnancy sickness in the first trimester seems to somewhat correlate to fast labors. I think it may indicate strong hormone producers. Anyone agree?
Very interesting theory. I have had BAAAAD m/s and vomiting with both pregnancies (throughout the ENTIRE pregnancy!). Birth #1, was super fast, if I had not gotten an epidural (which slowed me down and I needed pit), I am pretty sure I would have had the baby w/in 2 hrs of going into labor. Now, with baby #2... I've been stuck in prodromal labor hell... but still hoping that once I hit active labor things move along quickly. It would be nice to think that having bad m/s amts to more than knowing your hormone levels are high. That was the only thing positive thing I could think of to remind myself that at least my chances of a m/c were lower...
#6 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 PM

I did drink alot of Raspberry tea but none of the other things applied
#7 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 10:05 PM

My early labor went on all day, but once things really kicked into gear it went pretty quickly - I'd say from beginning of active labor to birth was about 4-5 hours. Mentally, I was ready, and I felt pretty relaxed about being in labor, etc. but plenty of women feel this way and still have long labors, so who knows. But I did get a great prenatal massage and pelvic alignment the day before she was born, maybe that did the trick.
#8 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 10:09 PM

Three pretty quick labors here, tons (and tons) of morning sickness, very very challenging as one dialates 6 cent in 35 minutes. That freaking hurts.

My sister had a 3 hour labor for her first baby born on it;s due date. But she vomitied for nine straight months. She once was pulled over for speeding, but was let go when the officer saw her 8.5 month belly drenched in vomit as my sister weeped. "I was only trying to get to work so I could change before my first client".
#9 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceMomma

I have tons of BH- I swear I'm in labor for the last 5 months- so maybe I don't really have FAST labors, but super super longs one? LOL

This is how I feel, people say "wow how lucky" I say yeah 10 BH an hour for 6-10 hours a day for about 10-12 weeks, yeah lucky.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#10 of 29 Old 08-19-2005, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 4
Yoga?
Inner peace?
Athletes?
Mental "readiness"?
Family history of this?
Small baby?
Lots of braxton-hicks?

None of the above :LOL
My last 2 babies were over 8 lbs. Both times, as soon as I got to 2 cm, my water broke and the baby out in about an hour.
Fast labor is the hardest thing I have done. It's like waking up, at the very top of a roller coaster..hang on you don't get a break till it's over!

I had a 96 hour labor with baby #1..I would do that over instead of either of my other 2

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#11 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 12:55 AM

not really

Yoga?
nope

Inner peace?
Ha, my husband was in Afghanistan for the last one!

Athletes?
Not hardly, but I did just buy a treadmill with high hopes!

Mental "readiness"?
Maybe the oppasite after the first-it hurt so *@%& much!

Family history of this?
Definetly!

Small baby?
7lb 8oz, 8lb 3 oz and 9lb 3oz

Lots of braxton-hicks?
Did with the first, less with the second and the third I had pre-term labor from about 28 weeks on-about when we found out about the deployment.

#1 was about 3 hours active, #2 was about 2 1/2 hrs active and #3 was about 45 min. active labor. They were all VERY, VERY INTENSE! I told my husband I would keep on having babies if only I didn't have to birth them!

Tanya :
#12 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 01:30 AM

I am a fairly fast birther. And I have terrible all day sickness for the first 20 weeks. After that it tappers off but I am still ill.

I am a very active woman but am slowed down during pregnancy because of my hips

I do have to take progesterone to get and stay preggo. I only take it till 13 weeks into the pregnancy.
#13 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 01:44 AM

#1 hospital birth 8hrs from first contraction to birth (I slept through half of it) no pain meds, no tearing. I didn't do anything special he was just over 7lbs. MS was slight... I mean I spent alot of time nauseated but never ralphed.

#2 hospital birth 6hrs. preterm labor stared at 30wks but very little dialation till 34 she was born at 36 5.1lbs same thing on the MS

#3 first UC 12hrs did Yoga, drank RR same thing with the MS but about a week before his birth my inlaws put alot of fears into me about UC I think that's why he took longer 8.5lbs I did have preterm labor and some dialtion starting at 36wks

#4 2nd UC 1.5hrs no yoga, no RR same MS, contractions starting at 32wks was 5cm by 36wks he was born at 38wks just over 8lbs

#5 exactly the same as #4 except he was born on the toilet and contractions seemed more intense I think because dh was tending to the other kids and couldn't be there for me and I was having a hard time vocalizing cause I didn't want to scare the other kids.
#14 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 02:01 AM

Red Raspberry tea sluggers? Nope
Yoga? Nope
Inner peace? So-so
Athletes? Heck no
Mental "readiness"? Yes
Family history of this? Not really
Small baby? Average
Lots of braxton-hicks? So-so

My first two were difficult and not fast at all, but looking back now, I know why and would have done things a lot differently. My first ended up in a c/s. She was 7.7. My second was a little over 12 hours of labor (he was a month early) and was 6.3. My third, well, to tell the truth I didn't notice anything amiss until my water broke. It broke at 12:45am and she was here at 1:54am. My last was about the same way. Everyone was so anxious for me to have him. I kept saying, oh, we have plenty of time. He's not coming anytime soon. Next thing I know, it's 12:30am and my water broke. Contractions did not start until 1:44am though. He was here at 2:32am and was 8.6.
#15 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama to 4
this might be the most un-natural, non-PC, bad naughty thing I have ever posted (so far) : , but I would LOVE to know if there is any common factor in these Mamas who have the super fast births? there have been quite a few here lately on MDC who were like 1-2 hours---I gotta say, Im so jealous!!!!!!!!!!!

Yoga?
Inner peace?
Athletes?
Mental "readiness"?
Family history of this?
Small baby?
Lots of braxton-hicks?
I didn't have a UC (had a midwife attended homebirth), but my labor was super-fast. I wasn't sure I was in labor until about 9:30 or 10:00 so and my girl was born at 11:30. It was almost a UC- my midwife arrived at 11:15.

I did drink a lot of RRL tea throughout my pregnancy. I also took EPO and Flax Seed Oil throughout my pregnancy (orally). I did yoga too. I had tons and tons and tons of BH throughout the pregnancy.

It was so wonderful compared to my loooong (hospital) labor with my son. I wouldn't mind having another short one next time.

Good luck to you!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#16 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiromom
How interesting!! I was very sick with my fast labor baby in the first tri.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#17 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 02:16 PM

My first labor I dilated to 9 cm in 2 hours with 20 min pushing. My second labor was about 5 hours total, but only about 1 hour really intense; I slept through the first 2 hours.

I don't know what the secret is. I may just be lucky. But I did in both cases do a lot of mental/emotional/physical preparation. For me walking felt like the secret. I took long walks daily in the last weeks of pregnancy and that always brought on lots of contractions. I enjoyed the feeling of those early contractions and longed for the power and intensity of labor. They were not braxton-hicks, but real contraction, not painful but intense. In both cases I had them for several weeks before the birth, usually when walking. I was about 4 cm dilated days before going into labor. I also drank lots of RR tea, and utilized those prostaglandins from sex (10x more powerful orally). I actually had sex during early labor with my second, and boy did things take off from there. Mostly I try to remove all mental/emotional barriers, and during labor, rather than avoiding/fearing the pain/intensity, I try to go deeply in to it, and bring it on! (At times this is tough) Good luck with the birth that is meant to be for you. I love birthing.
#18 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 02:44 PM

Red Raspberry tea? yes
Small baby? 7-1/2 lbs.
Lots of braxton-hicks? never felt any

I was 6 cm when admitted and delivered in 6 and 4 hours, and I took lots of EPO

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#19 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Nope! First pregnancy I was sick 24 hours a day. Lost weight with it. 44 hour hard labour. I also had almost two weeks of off-and-on prodromal labour, and then 2-3 days straight before hard labour started.

This pg I haven't thrown up yet! (Due in December so I'm over the halfway point) and it's like the pregnancy is completely non-existant. But I'm anticipating a shorter birth. Then again, to me, 24 hours is really short. :LOL

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#20 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 08:23 PM

the only thing I had of those choices (or morning sickness) was BH contrax...

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#21 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 08:30 PM

ps on't be too jealous... it would have been nice to have been able to really feel like I "experienced" my labor and birth, I definitely do not feel like I did!

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#22 of 29 Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 PM

Well, I am a fast birther and I always go from 5 to 10 cm in less than one hour. After just doing it again on Tuesday, I don't always think it is the better thing. Lots of the labors I have been at, mom progesses nice and even and slow. Mine are so unbelievably painful at the end because not only am I dilating so quickly, but I usually bring baby down from 0 station or so to push-out. I also have painful BH for weeks and weeks before labor. That really sucks and really tires you out. I haven't been able to do anything because I "go into labor" each night for past two weeks! I couldn't tell if this was real or not until my water actually broke!

I have no secrets, my first birth I took no herbals and didn't know a thing about what I was doing. No one believed me that I was much further along than they thought. I almost didn't make it to hospital because doc thought I had plenty of time left in my labor. as a midwife, I never doubt the moms and always err on the side of caution.

One thing I do that others may not...once I start feeling the pressure and the "i'm going to die" pain, I start bearing down with the contractions. I don't wait to be checked or anything but I work with the pain and try to bring down the baby. Once I start pushing and I can feel baby moving down, I don't stop until they are out! My husband and midwife almost didn't catch this last one because there was no real warning, but I wasn't about to stop!
#23 of 29 Old 08-21-2005, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama
ps on't be too jealous... it would have been nice to have been able to really feel like I "experienced" my labor and birth, I definitely do not feel like I did!
That's how I feel! I *almost* wish my labors were longer so I could embrace them more. Dd1 was 3.5 hours total & Dd2 was 1 hour total. I did have *a lot* of BH & they were mighty painful! I was 4-5 cm both times for 2-3 wks prior to birth. I DEFINITELY think that genetics plays a role. My sis & I were both born in about 4 hours.

I really wonder if it's possible that this one will come in less than an hour....

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#24 of 29 Old 08-21-2005, 12:04 PM

I had nausea off and on for the first trimester, but I never vomited, thank goodness. Other than that, the only thing I had from your list was lots of Braxton-Hicks. Doc put me on bed rest from 28-36 weeks. I was allowed to get up at 36 weeks, but dd didn't arrive until the day before her due date.

My labor was quick. I woke up at 2 in the morning with cramps. (Definitely different from BH!). Woke up again at 4 with bloody show. Water broke at 7:30 a.m. Got to hospital at 9 a.m. I was already 6 cm dilated. I started pushing at 10 a.m. and dd was born in 20 minutes. Doc was most impressed because he said he'd never seen such an easy quick birth in a first-time mother.

I'd like to feel proud, but really, I think I was just lucky! So don't feel bad!!!!

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#25 of 29 Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 PM

My fast birth was a big baby (9lb 9oz), born at home, intervention free. He was also baby #3, VBAC (my 2nd child was a c-s performed when I was 9.5 cm dilated, because of his presentation) and my labour kicked into high gear after I ate a nice lite lunch. I kept active throughout labour (only stopping my laundry-doing about 40 minutes before his birth). Most of labour was spent either completely alone or with my then-4 yr old son casually watching TV and talking.

IME as a birthing mama and as an OB nurse, I can tell you a few hints for faster easier birthing (in general)...

1) Let nature do it! Don't rush to induce and don't try to jump the gun. When baby and you are ready IT WILL HAPPEN and happen nicely.

2) Avoid drugs (same reason as #1)

3) Be in a comfortable environment (ie stay away from the hospital or birth center if you can)

4) Do what feels right to you at the time. Don't think that you HAVE to have things a certain way. If you do have concrete plans you are most likely setting yourself up for disappointment. Also, be willing to LISTEN to your body and your mind. If it feels right to transfer to the hospital, then listen to that inner voice. Don't force yourself to stay at home if it makes you uncomfortable (seriously, some ladies DO feel more comfy in a hospital. I can't personally understand that mindset, but likewise those ladies have a tough time understanding MY mindset!) If it feels right to romp naked around your backyard, then by all means romp away!

5) EAT, and not just the hospital standard "ice chips diet", but whatever you desire. See #4.

Good luck and happy birthing!!
#26 of 29 Old 08-22-2005, 01:54 AM

Interesting thread. My second dd was born after abut an hour of active labor- I had had a few contractions leading up to that, but figured they must have been braxton hick contractions because they didn't hurt, and realy contractions are supposed to hurt, right? It was a relatively easy pregnancy, with very little morning sickness, and a lot of time spent chasing around a toddler. I did take EPO orally for the last three weeks or so, and took castor oil and 39 weeks. (Long story... : ) She weighed 6 lbs 14 oz, and there's no family history of fast labors. We were all pretty shocked!

I agree with the others about intense labors though- it was terrifying in a way to have things go so quickly and not be able to get a handle on things. I basically started labor in transition, and never did cope very well. And I wished I would have been planning on a homebirth, or at least read more about UC or "emergency" childbirth, because we left for the hospital, and five minutes later, she was born. In our minivan, on the side of the freeway, with my husband catching her. (We should have stayed home! :LOL )

Next time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a little bit longer, little bit more calm experience. I think four hours would be just about right. Good luck with your birth!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#27 of 29 Old 08-22-2005, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, so many responses !!!
Thanks to everyone for all the thought-provoking stuff..........I definately have morning sickness, bad, all 4 babies, so maybe that is something........

See I was induced for all three labors, even the homebirth, 'cuz my midwife was SO spazzed about my water being broken..........but this time I will just let it be and hopefully it will be of a decent duration.

I also want to say that I never really realized how stressful and scary (?) it would be to have it go so fast and you have opened my eyes to that, as well.

thanks Mamas!!!!!!!
#28 of 29 Old 08-22-2005, 08:29 AM

Quote:

well if this is the case...boy am I in a whole heap of trouble! This baby is coming in 30 min!
I'm not discounting this theory...infact I am going to live by it!
my morning sickness is absolutely unbearable, all day long, too.

Funny, my 2nd dd (uc) was born in 5 hours and my morning sickness was nowhere near as bad as this one.
my first dd was hospital- so her birth can't be included in this because of the interventions.

I did have tons of chiropractic work done with all my babies. That helped loosen me up I am sure.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#29 of 29 Old 08-24-2005, 02:01 AM

I think genetics for me... no morning sickness really to speak of...

1st baby 8lb 2oz 4 hours including 20 minutes pushing
2nd baby 7lb 1oz 6 hours 5 minutes pushing
3rd baby 8lb 91/2oz 3 hours 2 minutes pushing

and I am small small small 5'2" 105lb but I come from eastern european peasant stock... I have 3 aunts and my mom with 20 children between them and all have similar births... my aunt says we were the ones who had their baby in the fields... put them on our backs... and went back to work :LOL

gentle birthing vibes to you mama! I am jealous of your

Jen

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page