Once a UC always UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 09-05-2005, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you've had a UC will/would/did you automatically make that choice for subsequent pregnancies?
Has anyone had a UC and then a midwife assisted birth?
#2 of 37 Old 09-05-2005, 09:23 PM

so far- I wouldn't have assistance with future births unless absolutely necessary. After having a UC, I don't think I could trust anyone other than my dh to be present and non-interventive. kwim?

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#3 of 37 Old 09-05-2005, 09:30 PM

If I were to have another child, I would UC. I might consider hiring a trusted doula friend just to have another experience mama in the room both for moral support and becuse DP would probably be very busy with the two kids to be able to attend to me when needed (I wanted to labour on my own the last time though. When DP was around the contractions seemed more intense so I chased him away! :LOL )
#4 of 37 Old 09-05-2005, 11:23 PM

unless there was some issue I felt unfit to deal with myself (triplets, immediate heart surgery or transverse lie that can't be budged) I'd certainly UC. I wished we'd done it with the first that way!

we only had 2 UC babies so far and this will be our third and last...unless dh's vasectomy didn't take.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#5 of 37 Old 09-06-2005, 12:31 AM

I posted a thread about this a while back. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=271084 For me, whether or not to UC is not an automatic thing. It required a lot of prayer, research, meditation both times, and I think would again if I ever had another babe.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#6 of 37 Old 09-06-2005, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your thoughts and that link. I will be back with more of my thoughts later.
#7 of 37 Old 09-06-2005, 11:01 AM

I agree with most the pp, that unless there were something telling me that I need some assistance for whatever reason, UC would be my first choice. For me, it is the most desirable, preferred, safe, natural, human and spiritual way to give birth.

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#8 of 37 Old 09-06-2005, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't know if I'll ever be blessed with more children, but I don't know if I would UC again. I had CPS called on me after my last UC, and I was found "indicated for child abuse or neglect" because of it. Fortunately, my children were never removed from my care, as the CPS worker put it "He isn't going to go through childbirth again" therefore, as they saw it, I was no longer "a risk" to my children.

I don't think I would take the legal risk of UC again, at least not if I'm still living in the USA. I would never consider planning another "oops UC" again- I won't have another baby unless I can afford a midwife who's able to do all the post-birth "cover-my-tush" paperwork. Whether I call her when I go into labor, or after the birth, is something I'll decide when the time comes.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#9 of 37 Old 09-06-2005, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Ruthla! How terrible and I am so sorry.

Thanks again for all your thoughts. I'm not facing this issue right now, but just wondering. I had a beautiful UC, but fearful thoughts kept me from enjoying it as much as I should have. The answer for next time might just be more and better preperation or it might be in the hiring of a professional. I am sure that if/when the time comes I'll be able to find the answer I need from my baby and my body, but I was just curious what others have done.

laurata, I completely share some of your thoughts about having a midwife there in the aftermath to clean up and this and that. If I could find someone who wouldn't charge so much for just doing that I'd not hesitate at all to hire them just for that task. My dh just isn't all that good at "mothering" and pampering, as much as he tries.
#10 of 37 Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what are you comfortable with?
our last baby was a planned uc and I would not do that again
#11 of 37 Old 09-06-2005, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
our last baby was a planned uc and I would not do that again
Can i ask why?

I'm sorry, but I can't figure out who and what your question is for.
#12 of 37 Old 09-06-2005, 06:14 PM

MWHerbs--

I am curious, too, why you wouldnt do it again........we are planning our first in a few weeks now and I am actually curious about people who did this and did not want a repeat.........
#13 of 37 Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually labor alone, and still would not want some one talking to me or telling me what to do in labor but I would have liked a competent woman to be able and assess heart tones-- at a point in labor I could not hear anymore and the baby's fontanels were all overlapping so could not feel a heartbeat--scary for me .
ultimately nothing bad happened the baby was fine I was fine, but more drama than needed to be, all of my children have that impression too -- I scarred the @$%% out of them -- the birth before that was a home birth and much smoother.
#14 of 37 Old 09-08-2005, 11:48 AM

You have way more experience than I do, but I don't do hr assessments when the head is coming thru the pelvis for that reason. You really can't feel it, and usually the baby is born within a minute or two, correct? I have done them when mom is pushing, to check for cord problems, but in the time when the babe is going under the pubis I haven't done them. I bet it did scare you, because the compression is so intense, you often can't get a hr, or so I have read. Maybe a case of too much knowledge? Or you may have seen some things that I haven't that would have required that....
On the main thread topic, I have known a couple ladies who had a mw after a UC, simply because the circumstances had changed. Maybe there were twins, or a breech, and they didn't want to go to the hospital, but thier comfort level needed someone there....but most ended up with a UC anyway, accidently! The baby/ies just came right on out, no problem...in the twins case, mom caught one, and was holding her when # 2 was born, and dad caught her and they sat down in the bathroom, and mw got there 5 min later. both babies were born within an hour from the time labor started!
#15 of 37 Old 09-08-2005, 10:47 PM

I had a hospital birth and a CNM for my first birth and plan for all future births to be UCs unless there's some sort of problem, or unless I have a good friend who is a midwife who I want to be present at the birth.
#16 of 37 Old 09-08-2005, 11:58 PM

I had a UC for my first and am doing a lot of soul searching and pondering about my future birth plans. I am honestly considering a MW assisted birth next time. In some ways, i think i would not want a mw, but in others, i think it would be nice to have a mw there. I thik that part of my horribly painful, longish labor was that i couldnt let go because i felt like i had to costantly be "midwifing" myself, and aware of what was going on, in case a problem came up, and that i might be able to relax more fully and just "go with it" if I knew my "only" job was to labor and deliver, without worrying about anything. but then again, I'm a totally anal type 1 personality, so letting go at all is just not something that comes easy for me. Plus, io am the type to totally "feed off of" other people's energy, and not having any other energy there i think really was a detriment to my labor. So, my answer is no...the next one is not automatically a UC, but maybe. i think that if I did not have a super-wonderful pro-UC homebirth midwife that i love, i would not even consider anything but UC, but since i do, it is an option i am considering. I'll update you guys in about 2 year, kay? lol

CPST
#17 of 37 Old 09-09-2005, 03:47 PM

first child was a terrible hospital deal, just had baby number 2 two weeks ago, UCed. Would do it again in a second...but i would do it TOTALLY alone. no siblings, no sister, no husband. Don't know if i'll get to do it that way, but that's what i learned!
#18 of 37 Old 09-09-2005, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

When I think about future births I may have the ideal set-up would be for me to have a relationship with a midwife running through the second half of my pregnancy so that I would feel able to call upon her if I felt overwhelmed with anything either during the pregnancy and labor, or after the birth. The big problem with that fantasy is that we'd have to pay her a big chunck of money that we don't (and most likely won't) have to spare. But that's just negativity speaking and maybe money won't be such a problem someday and the choice will be easy. Then the challange would be to find a "UC friendly" midwife. I've had one before, but living in the city I think it might be harder to find one.
Then I think about the safety of a pure UC, and how much better it is to have complete faith in yourself and baby, so that perhaps just the thought of that midwife safety net might mess with my inner voice enough to throw my intuition off.
Just rambling now but thanks so much for your thoughts. It is fun sorting through all these thoughts.
#19 of 37 Old 09-18-2005, 05:31 AM

Have UC'd once, most likely won't do it again.
Baby born with limp cord & blue and floppy, had steep decels but figured birth was imminent so we didn't transport...baby took some time to start but was fine.
I don't know what I would do *if* I was to have another child.
Probably HB with MW or birth center. Would also need to do some serious 'soul searching'...
#20 of 37 Old 09-18-2005, 05:46 PM

Having had a couples UC and a solo UC.. I prefer the couples.. :LOL

I would most definately UC again but I am done done done birthing

I have had things crop up during both births that were simple variations of normal and an attendant would have felt compelled to meddle.

Where I live midwives are free .. funded by public healthcare.. but theres only a handful who respect UC.. so uc friendly backup and easy access to paperwork is possible you just need to know how to locate it ;-)
#21 of 37 Old 09-22-2005, 10:40 AM

I havent had an UC yet but for me I dont think I could ever have a midwife again (I will be one by the time I have another baby though lol) but in saying that it would depend on that baby, and that pregnancy... I would follow my instincts, so I would pretty much only sidestep a UC if it was very needed IUKWIM
#22 of 37 Old 09-22-2005, 12:46 PM

I had a UC with #3 and a mw hb with #4. I would definetly UC again with my next babe. While my mw's didn't interfer with my birth (and I had as close to a UC as one can have with 2 mw's and a student present) I would have preferred for them to leave upon babes arrival but they were required to stay 2 hours and do all the baby and mommy checks. I just wanted to be left alone, me and my family to bond with our new member.

Unless we are still stationed here when we have our next babe I will UC. If we are stationed here I am not sure what we will do. I guess it would depend on DH's new command as the one he currently has is what prevented us from UC this time.
#23 of 37 Old 09-23-2005, 06:30 PM

I never wanted a UC...but the circumstances at the time lead me to UC as it was my only safe option. I will have a midwife for any future births. Don't get me wrong...my UC was wonderful and completed me in such a way that I don't even need to have another baby to "get it right". It was perfect and I think of it everyday.
#24 of 37 Old 09-24-2005, 11:19 PM

I will definately have any subsequent babies unassissted. I wrote that in my UC birth story, even. :LOL There is no way that UC can be beat, in my mind. It was absolutely perfect. I really don't think I will ever have to use a MW or doc for anything, other than prenatal appointments.
#25 of 37 Old 09-25-2005, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My mom had a UC for #1, 2, 3, 4,

then she went to the hospital for #5, a breech...

then she sought out a homebirth doctor who never showed up for #6, 7, 8, and 9.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#26 of 37 Old 09-26-2005, 12:09 PM

I feel the opposite that marsupialmom does :LOL I have had a solo UC and then a couples birth and the couples birth was wonderful, but I preferred the solo UC a bit more. Call me a selfish birth hog :LOL

My last UC I had quite a bit of blood loss. I recuperated but it took me a week. Even still I feel and felt at the time comfortable enough to handle myself and do whatever I felt the immediate urge to. I feel a birth attendant would have gone into a flurry, inject me with a shot of pit probably and talk me into transferring. I feel that because of UC I calmly dealt with it and all was well in the end.

Having birth attendants was always detrimental to my birthing the way I needed to, and detrimental to the health of my children. If I had more children, I woudln't be subjecting myself to "I might have this or I could have that" so I wouldn't be like "well baby is X so maybe I should consider Y+Z" I feel if something were terribly wrong I'd know and go from there. I know of all of the things I am NOT afraid of, I guess I'm just very aware of what my comfort zones are.
#27 of 37 Old 10-06-2005, 07:26 PM

Quote:
My last UC I had quite a bit of blood loss. I recuperated but it took me a week.
How did you stop the bleeding? My friend just had her twins at home and hemmoraged very badly and the midwife gave her 2 shots of pitocin. What are other natural options to stop the bleeding?

Blessed mama of four
::
#28 of 37 Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 PM

I just had a "planned unplanned" UC on Sept 30th. We started out planning a homebirth through the birthing center where our DS was born. The new midwife was too mainstream though and we changed to a really cool midwife when I was about 32 or so weeks along. UC was in my mind from the very beginning of the pregnancy. I didn't tell the midwife directly that I wanted to call her at the last minute, but I did say that I thought it would go very fast. And it did! 1 hr and 45 minutes of intense labor! I had thought of having no midwife DH didn't feel comfortable with it at all. We decided together to have a midwife and that we'd call at the "last minute" (like when I was pushing or when the baby was already out). That way there was still the option to call if my intuition said maybe she'd be needed.

I would definitely do it again. Being at home with no one (except my 2 yr old watching Sponge Bob in the other room and occassionally checking in on me) I was really able to be in touch with myself and the baby at a level not at all possible if I'd had others there. My DH got there 20 minutes before Piper was born and I had to tell him to not touch me or talk to me because if he did it made my already intense and painful contractions a bit harder to handle. If I'd had a midwife present I don't think I could have reached the primal state I did that just allowed the birth to flow naturally. It was wonderful having DH there though once he knew to let me be. It was awesome to have him catch Piper, and he is as ecstatic about the experience as I am.

Although part of me feels, "Gosh, I'm shelling out $2000 for what now?" I did like having a midwife as a "just in case" and also to come and check us out after the birth, etc. My midwife is so laid back I have never felt any pressure from her with prenatal appointments to do anything I didn't feel comfortable with.

I'm not sure if we will be having more babies. It is up for debate. But if so UC, unless intuition tells me otherwise.

#29 of 37 Old 10-06-2005, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
There are no guarantees in life, but I am glad you felt confident enough to do UC!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#30 of 37 Old 10-06-2005, 09:30 PM

we have had such wonderful experiances with UC that it was a non-issue for us with each pg. we love the freedom of being our own midwife just as we prefer to be our own doctor when it comes to other health issues. yes, after our first birth it was always a UC for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page