UC Post Partum Support Thread (Calling all UC Mamas!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2005, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey UC mamas! We're gonna have another go at a post-birth chat since others have shown interest. This thread is for mamas -- no matter how postpartum -- that have had UC or believe in the UC philosophy. I've hated to lose touch with my UC sisters and would love to hear more about how we're raising our very special babes.

So, I thought we could talk about such things as:
*Post Partum recovery issues (both physical and emotional)
*Family Support/Opposition
*Our UC babies personalities and latest milestones and accomplishments.
*Philosophies on gentle discipline, punishments, rewards, etc.
*Our favorite books on mothering, parenting, and children.
*How we're planning on educating our babes.
*Special family rituals or traditions we follow or plan on following.
*How we deal with sick babies (homeopathics, dr visits, naturopaths, whatever).
*Anything else under the sun!

So, I'll wait for others to join and see if there's a particular topic anyone wants to talk about.

Welcome!!!

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 PM

I'm here just over 2 weeks postpartum

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:27 AM

Yay, I'm here

I have 2 UC babies (3 kids though). My first UC babe just turned 2 last week. So hard to believe. Even harder to believe that I've had a 2nd UC since then. Dd is 4 months old now! I am still just loving her birth. It was perfect. I wish more people asked about my birth experience though, I really love the reaction I get to her birth story (solo birth, hemorage, ate placenta to stop bleeding, etc).

I am torn about whether or not I am 'done' with baby having. For some reason I just feel like I need to decide RIGHTNOW. There is no reason why I need to decide, it just feels urgent. One moment I feel done, the next I wish I was pregnant yesterday :LOL Dh thinks I'm nutty (what else is new). He thinks he is done, though he generally gets the baby bug closer to a year PP so we will see if he still feels that way down the road.

Ah well. I am just loving the 3 I have, and life is just so busy right now. Too busy some days.

Enough about me, how are the rest of you?

Old 09-16-2005, 04:08 AM

Oh, FreeRangeMamma I totally understand!! I have 3 boys and only my last was a UC and I loved it so much! Some days I desperately want 1 more and some days I think no way it would be and I do want to figure it out cause I hate using condoms for bc but I get pg very easy... but to never be pg again! I so want another uc anyway I hear you!!!

Anyway I would love to join this group

Jen

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
Old 09-16-2005, 12:57 PM

signing on.......hoping to be able to post more soon. Still trying to find time to write up my birth story!
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

Old 09-16-2005, 02:19 PM

Well, here I am

My UC baby is 14months old now. She's a little screamer and back-archer, but has her extreme cuteness moments as well. Must be the cancerian aspect . She is growing up so much every day. She wants me to put various assorted clothes on her thoughout the day, which is so cute. She likes to eat tomatoes and fresh fruit, but doesn't like lots of things yet. She does like buffalo meat though, which will hopefully make her strong as she is quite the small baby (average on growing charts, but small compared with my 2 year old who has always been above the 100th percentile.) well, that's me rambling...

Glad that all you ladies are into this group
Old 09-18-2005, 06:54 PM

I am here! 2 weeks post partum tommorow! and still on the mend..
Solo UC with a bleed... would never change anything tho!

However I know I am done for sure!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

nak

hey mamas! I'm going on vaca for a week but wanted to check in before I went. I'm so happy this thread is gaining momentum!

About wanting more children-- I was so sure I'd want at least 2 but now I don't know. My pregnancy and birth were so perfect, and Finn is such a happy, joyful little soul...I guess I feel I can't get this lucky twice! And I guess part of me does feel I was *lucky* to have successful UC (though if that's what other people say to me I get so !). I do think I'd have to talk myself into UC all over again. Even though I know it's the right thing for me, I'd still have some fears to work out.

Other reasons I don't know if I want more, is that I know I couldn't give another baby the total attention, devotion, and energy that I'm giving Finn right now. I literally am with him 24/7, I even lay down with him for his naps (he used to wake up every time I left and sometimes still does, so I use this time to read and actually love it.) I know I couldn't do that if I had more kids.

I'd also worry about sibling rivalry. I'd hate for anyone to feel short-changed. I never thought I'd feel this way, but I do right now. Maybe it'll change eventually. I have already dreamed a couple of times of another baby -- a little brother that looks like Finn. I've even learned his name, so I do think this a legitimate soul asking me not to give up having babies yet. So we'll see.

Marsupialmuma -- I see you have one baby, too. I'd love to know your reasons (if you want to share) why you know you're done. And congratulations to you!!!!

Brandi -- looking forward to your birth story!
Majazama -- I reread your UC story last week (I was on a birth story kick) and just want to tell you again how beautiful it was.

Babe just woke up so I have to go. Wondering though, Finn is just getting over his first cold. What do you mamas do for a cold -- any homeopathic remedies you can recommend. He DOES NOT let me near his nose without a fight and it isn't worth it to me.

One more thing! Shell and Brandi -- you two mentioned EC'ing your babes. I'm doing that too! Been doing it since 8 weeks and doing it part time. But we've really been getting the hang of it the last month or so. It's pretty neat!

Okay, see you mamas when I get back!

Old 09-19-2005, 01:01 PM

howdy! my Uc babe is turning 1 Oct 9! This year went by just way too fast!
Now, baby #3 (uc) is coming in March and I can't wait for labor!(most people think I am a freak or a masochist) I just looooooove the pushing stage!
I think that from my UC experience, dh and I have taking a different, more natural view with raising our babes. Most of my friends and family don't understand our philosophies of child rearing. They're just too mainstream I guess.
My sister thinks I get all my info from hippie-crunchy granola mamas! Umm, sis? I resemble that remark! :LOL

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 09-19-2005, 03:16 PM

Hey everyone.. I haven't been around much since Abel was born.. he'll be three weeks on Wed. Life has been crazy and wonderful at the same time around here. There are 7 people in the house now... but we did have 10 for 3 weeks while my sister and her 2 children were here to visit. She arrived the evening after Abel was born. It was so awesome having her here... and it will be hard to adjust without her being around. It doesn't help that my hormones are making me very emotional these days. She's the only person I know who thinks so much the way I do, and it's very hard that she lives on the other side of the country.

Our oldest (DSD) is in school again this year, but the two boys, both 7 yrs., are being homeschooled/unschooled. This is our first year doing it, and I've been really lax about any kind of curriculum. I think I may get a book like this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846 to loosely follow throughout the year. We'll get started on that when Abel's a little older and not as demanding, though.

Abel's really catching on to EC... he fusses mainly to poop and will even hold it for a bit if his dense mama can't figure out what he needs at first. I'm looking forward to when he strong enough for me to hold him on the potty. It will be nice for when we're away somewhere and I will no longer have to let him poop in a parking lot. lol

I did EC with Emma (3) but started when she was 6 months, so she lost interest when she was crawling around a few months later. It's amazing how quickly newborns catch on to this! Abel was 8 days old when we started, and he peed the first time I cued him! Now he doesn't even need me to make the sound most times.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'll check back in another time. Hope you are all doing well!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:30 PM

Just thought I'd check in here. We have four children ages 1, 4, 6, and 8, two boys and two girls, all born at home and the last two UC'ed.

I haven't been posting here much, as I'm done having babies so I've been mentally moving forward to focusing on us as a family and created a rich home life.

Rowan is going to be 1 in... two days! Time flies when you're having fun.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:42 AM

We did EC with ds1 and started with ds2, but it just didn't work with ds1's special needs and such. We went back to diapers for him and ds1 "potty trained" him by 18 months though he still wets his trainers sometimes. We aren't even trying this time around. Too much else going on

I am so glad we had more than one, though I had reservations at first because my first needed (and still needs) so much from me. He has grown and learned SO much from his little brother though that it was truly the best thing we ever did. They fight like crazy, but they are close as well. They both just adore dd now. They take turns bringing her toys, talking to her, singing to her, etc. It is such an amazing thing to watch this bond between the 3 of them grow closer and closer every day.

That is one of the things that make me want one more. I have 'brothers', and I would also love to have 'sisters'. Sisters are so close (usually). I never had one and always wished I did. Someone that I was that close to. I want that for my girl, especially when I see my boys together. Different gendered children can also be very close (my bro and I were) but it just isn't quite the same.

So many things to consider.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:46 AM

You know, you guys are all so blessed to be able to talk to each other by computer. I wish I had had this kind of support way back when. Please know that even though I am probably past childbearing age(but it is still fun trying! I enjoy every post I read, just as if you all were my daughters...This is a great group, keep up the good work and advise...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
Just thought I'd check in here. We have four children ages 1, 4, 6, and 8, two boys and two girls, all born at home and the last two UC'ed.

I haven't been posting here much, as I'm done having babies so I've been mentally moving forward to focusing on us as a family and created a rich home life.

Rowan is going to be 1 in... two days! Time flies when you're having fun.

WOW Rowan is 1!?!?! It seems like just yesterday....

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:11 PM

Hi, mamas.

My UC baby is almost 20 months now. She's a two-year-old in every way I can't believe that's my baby so grown up. *sniff* I'm just about ready to start all over again, but we'll see what happens.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:34 PM

Katest... I think marsupial momma is actually on her 9th baby:LOL (says in her siggy) What is that like, anyways, marsupial momma? Do you ever get any time to yourself? I'm impressed.

Nice to see all of you mammas here. I wonder how "sprinklepocket" is doing? I felt a real connection with her. Bet she's just lovin' being a mama.

On EC, I wish I had done that with my two. But, they do get organic velour on their bums instead.
My oldest is PT, and my baby will probably be out of dipes soon, she really hates them. I know some people that do that IRL, and it's awesome to see! I have put S on the potty a bunch of times, like after her nap, and can usually catch a pee then.

I want to have one more baby. I always wanted to have two girls and a boy... but that is hopefully not going to happen for some time:. I want my daughters to be able to help me with "him". I hope it won't happen till S is 4 years old, at least. I'd like to do a good cleanse before getting pregnant again too.

I always did want to be totally clear before having babies, but they decided to come a bit soon. I am 24 now and my first was born when I was 21.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:29 AM

Avery is 8 weeks old!
TIme is flying by so quickly. We are ECing too! I think it is so awesome to see them respond to cues when they are newborn.

Baby calls,
I'll be in and out of this thread though!!!
Elizabeth
Old 09-21-2005, 02:37 AM

Every is 3 weeks today. He is starting to just stare at me more and give lots of spontaneous smiles. He also seems to be taking after DP more and more each day (grouchy when not fed on time, then eats too fast & chokes, noisy eventful poops--sorry, TMI--, lots of stretching/grunting in his sleep). I'm really starting to get into this mommy thing. I want lots more!!! (Even though somehow it seems like I barely have time to concentrate on one... ) DP says he wants 12... I told him he better start researching adoption . (he says after 8 kids, you get all kinds of government assistance....is this even remotely true?? Marsupial mama, maybe you can clue me in hehe )
I have been ECing on and off, catching when I can. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to hold/position him! I have just kept to taking his diaper off on the bed and cueing him as I hold a cloth in front of his fountain. He is such a little wiggle worm and gets mad if I try to hold him a "certain way"... I do get all excited when I make the psss sound and a few seconds later I either get soaked or catch it in the cloth. I have yet to even come close to catching a poop...his are so unpredictable.
What sound do you make for poop???

Anyway, breastfeeding is going good (since my nipples stopped hurting after the 1st week).

Oh, I do have some bad news. A relative DP's on the other side of the country called the police on us!!!! I had cops knocking at my door 1st thing in the morning coming in and questioning me, demanding to see Every, calling the hospital to verify that I had taken him in, etc etc etc. : It was HORRIBLE. Now I understand why many mommas just straight out lie to their families.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell024
Oh, I do have some bad news. A relative DP's on the other side of the country called the police on us!!!! I had cops knocking at my door 1st thing in the morning coming in and questioning me, demanding to see Every, calling the hospital to verify that I had taken him in, etc etc etc. : It was HORRIBLE. Now I understand why many mommas just straight out lie to their families.

That's so freakin' nutz!!! .... And you gave your son the best gentle birth experience.

I looked at your pictures, shell024.... wow. you are one beautiful little family Your hubby is a hottie, and so are you. The pics were very raw... thanks for sharing.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 AM

another one here, UC baby is already over a year, other monkeys are 8,6 and 4. We're expecing another sometime in January.

I fully can relate to the "do I want more" topics I see. Can I handle more, is it fair and is there enough (of me, of us, time, money, love, breastmilk) to go around?

well, sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't but never for a second can you regret a person. They are all so special and much needed in their own ways. Our first STILL gets all of us all day and night, all the thought, all the worry, all our time, and the rest do as well. You become strangly able to meet it all because they all need it.

One baby at the breast, or two...it doen't matter as babyhood passes so fast. Only now as they are becomming these largely independent beings with their own friends, sports, music lessons is it noticable how MANY people live with!

we're homeschooling #2-#4 at the moment, ds (#1) wanted to try the school across the street. They already moved him a grade, and still the work is nonsense.

Love reading here and hearing about all the babies! Our baby is mostly over his reflux. Though he dropped off the chart, looked like hell and such, we didn't do the drugs. We finally did do a Barium Study while he was about 9mos, which found no damage. still, I can't believe we made it through that year. It was awful to have such an ill child. From 3 weeks he vomited 10-30times a day. He'd nurse 3 minutes and vomit purple faced for 5. At 6 mos he could finally spend some time lying down. He was a stressed baby, I think. Very serious. From 10mos he blossomed and the reflux started to abate (down to 4 fluxings a day). Now it's only 1-2x a week, and he doen't empty his entire stomach anymore. He's slowly become an absolute imp. He's got a great smile and is talky and busy, busy. there is no telling him no, or distracting him from anything he's decided to do, ever. (17mos) he's back up to a small, but average weight, after being zero for quite awhile (our children are typically off the TOP of the height and weight charts).

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
Old 09-22-2005, 03:01 AM

Not around much, but it's nice to come back occasionally and read how everyone is doing.

My littlest babe is 9 months old and WALKING. Like a mad man. He's lovely and happy, and has been going to bed very early at night, which makes bedtime with the girls more pleasant.

I too, can relate to the question of whether or not to have another. TBH, I don't want to go through pregnancy or birth again AT ALL, though I would like to have another baby to love an raise up. In reality though, I don't think I could handle any more than I have now. I put my oldest in public school last month, and I've backed off on my expectations for everything else, and still, I'm really struggling. I hate that I can't live up to my positive parenting expectations. I feel like not only is my house a mess and my body unhappy, I'm a mean, grumpy mama who's always throwing out threats and such. Blah. Luckily, I have an IUD, so I feel like I can put the issue on the backburner for a few years and not stress over it. In the mean time, I'm working on loving the littles I've already got!

I sorta EC my littlest too. I say sorta because I mostly suck at it. It seems that for me, once they get mobile, and aren't in the sling so much, I get really busy and don't chance signals (and forget all about timing too!). I am part of a DFB group, and it helps a LOT to hang out with other ECing mamas.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
Old 09-22-2005, 01:46 PM

nak...

michelle, i make the psss sound for poop and pee. sounds like you're doing great with ec. soon enough he'll be strong enough for you to hold him on a little potty. i bet he'll like that more. with dd i used to hold her on the big potty too. I'd sit down, then hold her in front of me. not sure if it'd work with a newborn, though.

take care!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:51 PM

Hey everyone. Every is one month old. I'm beginning to understand how everyone who has had kids and watched them grow says "it goes by so fast". It seems like he was born last week! Well, I feel normal now, I think. Today was the first time that he and I drove around by ourselves. I even managed to go shopping! (The fitting room tested out my sling maneuvering techniques. :LOL ) He was so good the whole time, I think he made a sound ONCE in almost 2 hours.
I'm noticing that he's awake more during the day...and *dont wanna jinx myself* sleeping more at night. He only woke up twice last night at 2 & 6 to nurse and went back to sleep! Ahhh.... I am thanking my lucky stars for now...
I have been researching vaccines and am moving closer and closer to no-vax...but still getting so much pressure from friends/family: "you haven't gotten him immunized yet???" Me: He's four weeks old!! :

I am counting down the days (even though I don't really have a date to count down to) till I finally move back to Guam... HOME SWEET HOME. It will be tough initially, because I will fly with Every and DP wont get there for another month or two. So, I will have to get around by myself, AND I have to get a part time job, since we wont have any income for awhile. I am VERY VERY nervous about this. I am so paranoid about nipple confusion, even if I were to pump and he got a bottle only once or twice a day or something. There's the alternative feeding methods right? (cup, spoon, dropper..etc) I've done some research and been lurking around the breastfeeding forum, but what do you all think about that issue?? It really kinda freaks me out...

Old 09-26-2005, 09:36 PM

michelle~ guam? isn't that in asia? If you are worried about going there, then you probably shouldn't. Did you grow up there? I mean, BFing is my #1 concern when my babies are really little. I wouldn't even consider moving to another country where I would have to get a job to support myself. But that's just me, mind you. Do you have support there (family, close friends), or would Every be going into a daycare?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:53 PM

Yes I was born and raised there and most of my family and friends live there. It is a U.S. territory, a tiny island in the pacific ocean, part of the marianas islands, near philippines...japan, etc..
I am VERY excited and relieved (because I have little support right now here in California...just me, DP, Every, & MIL lives an hour n a half away) actually.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

uggghhhh...I wrote out a long response, complete with personals, and dh accidentally deleted it! It's so hard to find time to write one response, let alone two --- I actually almost cried!

Okay, let's see if I can duplicate it...

Shel -- I can't believe someone in your family called the cops on you! With family like that, who needs enemies, right? I hope your move comes sooner than later. It sounds as though that's what you really want and I'm sure it'll be nice to have support. Did you ever end up painting a turtle for your birth?

Majazama -- You're right! Marsupialmama's siggy does say #9, doesn't it? :LOL I saw only one name and jumped to conclusions. Marsupialmama, where's my bowing down smilie?!

Hoppytoad -- I also sit on the toilet (backwards) and then place Finn in front of me. That's usually for poo's though. His stream can be out of control :LOL so we mostly pee in the tub. He hasn't had a poopy diaper in months now! It's great!

Laurata -- I can't believe your 9 month old is walking already! Actually, I can't believe he's 9 months, I remember when you gave birth! It does go by far too fast.

4littlebirds -- it's so nice to see you!

cathicog -- thanks for the supportive post. You're right, I feel very fortunate to have this wonderful forum.

Rockie -- I love what you said about "never regretting a human being." Your post was wonderful and really spoke to me.

Amyjeans -- I saw on the other thread that you just bought a house -- congratulations!!!

Shell -- we also got so many of the "have you immunized him yet?" comments. Finally, I got some info from a naturopath that recommends we don't get ANY shots until he's 2 years old. That shut our families up...and maybe by the time he's 2 they'll have forgotten about it.

So, Finn is crawling, pulling himself up to standing, and his 2 botttom teeth are almost fully in. I was hoping he wouldn't get teeth for a little longer, but alas! I cannot control nature! He doesn't bite me, but the teeth scraping along my nipples caused me severe pain for a week or so. It's just starting to go away. He still is latching a little differently though, so it can be uncomfortable. It's a bummer since nursing him has been such a joy until now. I hope we readjust smoothly so it's a joy again.

Hoppytoad, I noticed you're homeschooling. Any other homeschoolinhg mamas? I just recently discovered unschooling and it's singing as loudly to me as unassisted childbirth did. I'm really excited to learn about it! It speaks to my soul and seems so freeing!

Okay -- guess that's enough for now (dh felt so guilty for deleting my response that he took time away from his desk to watch Finn while I wrote another). One more thing -- I'm reading "Playful Parenting" right now. Anyone else read it? Anyone have a favorite book to recommend?

Talk to you mamas soon!

Old 09-29-2005, 06:53 PM

Hello mamas! My little UC babe will be 2 next month! I can't believe it! He is such a joy and I am amazed that he chose me to be his mama. He is still nursing a few times a day and he hasn't nursed at night for the last 4 nights. He nurses to sleep but then hasn't nursed again till morning. I am a little sad about this. At least he still loves to sleep right up against me.

I really want another little one but I don't know if it will happen. I have miscarried twice this year and I am afraid I won't have another chance to grow, birth, nurse and raise another sweet babe.

KateSt., we homeschool too. I LOVE it and am so glad my children do too! :

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 09-29-2005, 08:13 PM

Let's see how much I can get in before Thorin wakes up!
He is one month old and weighs in at 13 lbs. 13 oz. Big Boy!
I am feeling pretty good. Starting to get the hang of three to tend to. We are so busy every day, even when we have nothing to do outside the home. Busy homeschooling and keeping up with laundry!
We are doing minimal Ec right now. Hoping to up our toilet times soon. Dh peed him for the first time last night. He was pretty impressed.
I am not on the computer much these days, but I try and catch up as I can.
Hope everyone is well. My milk is letting down-so Thorin will be waking soon!
Brandi

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

Old 10-03-2005, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Aurora -- I'm so sorry to hear of your miscarriages. I know how painful that is. I hope you were able to find comfort in your dear children. ((hugs)) to you. I do hope you get to bring another babe into your family.

Hi Brandi! Can't believe it's been a month since Thorin was born. It goes by so fast!

It's so great to see so many UC mamas who also homeschool -- but it makes sense that they go hand-in-hand, doesn't it?

So, I'm hoping some of you mamas may be able to lend me some insight.
My 7 and 1/2 old Finn is such a joy of a babe. He wakes ups happy, goes to bed happy, and instead of having a "fussy time" of a day he has a "laughing time" of day. BUT! He really loves to be with me, near me, latched to me 24/7. I'm getting absolutely NO TIME to myself and I'm beginning to wear thin.

He loves his papa but will only tolerate being alone with him for 20-25 minutes (if that) even though he's just been nursed. He needs me to lie down with him to sleep (even with naps) or he'll wake up. He hates his jolly jumper or anything that restrains him. Now his bedtime is later than it used to be - around 9:30pm. And when he finally does fall asleep he stays latched on for a long time (so that dh and I get no alone time). When I try to unlatch him he wakes within minutes (which is why I'm trying to type at record speed!).

I tell myself that he's little for such a short amount of time and that I'm doing the best thing for him. But...I don't want to start resenting the situation. I guess what bugs me the most is that he's not happy with his papa for longer amounts of time. I know books say that he should learn to cry and be comforted by papa, but I've never let him cry when I know what I can do to comfort him. If I'm trying to do yoga in another room and I hear him crying with papa, how can I not go to him? SHOULD I not go to him?
Have I "conditioned" him to only want me?

Have I also "conditioned" him to not be able to sleep alone?

This is the first time I've really been questioning my parenting. I mother by following my heart, but it seems to be backfiring.

I think of my SIL who raises her child in a way I DO NOT agree with -- but yet, her daughter goes to bed (by herself) at 7 every night and takes naps by herself. I know it's a trade off (and that many of my neice's needs have not been met), but I would LOVE to have an hour to myself and/or an hour alone with my husband.

I guess I just need support. I know it won't be this way forever (this too shall pass, yadda, yadda, yadda). I know I have Finn's best interests in mind and that I'm doing right by him. But I have to do right by ME, too -- don't I? I know I'll be a better, more patient mother if I do.

How can I do both?

So! To recap (in case you've lost your place -- heh-heh): Should I let Finn cry when he's with Papa (even though I never let him cry?).
Should I just be patient with the fact he needs to be latched to me to sleep?
How can I take care of both of us without either of of us suffering?

thanks, mamas....

Old 10-03-2005, 01:34 AM

It really won't last forever The first year is definitely hard, but it is such a short time in the bigger picture. You have "conditioned" him, just not in the way you are referring. You are teaching him that you are there for him, that you respond when he needs you, etc. Does that mean you should have no time for yourself? No, of course not. My ds1 was so far beyond "high needs" I can't even describe it. He still can't be away from me for long at 4 years old (ASD and anxiety disorder). When he was a babe my MIL could take him for short walks in the sling on occasion. He would be distracted enough when he was outside that he was okay for 20 minutes or so. Not long, but at least I could grab a quick shower.

For naps and sleeping in the evening I would put the baby monitor on the bed. If I heard him stirring I would run across the house to get to him before he even opened his eyes. Eventually he started stretching out the time he would sleep for. He still woke every hour for a long time, but at least he would go back to sleep (eventually) and I could sneak away again. He sleeps better now

Thankfully ds2 is a sleeper. Slept through the night since birth, nothing wakes him. Dd is another non-sleeper, but nowhere near as much as ds1.

I hope you get some relief soon.

User Tag List