Birthing Supplies.....Suggestions???? - Mothering Forums
Unassisted Childbirth > Birthing Supplies.....Suggestions????
alicia9178's Avatar alicia9178 09:30 AM 09-19-2005
SO I have been looking into birth supplies and I am kinda clueless. This is the list I have so far...if you have any suggestions PLEASE tell me.

Birth Kit Contains:
18 30x30 Underpads, disposable, deluxe
4 30x36 Disposable underpads, super deluxe
2 40x60 plastic backed sheets
1 Peri Bottle
1 Cotton Newborn Hat
6 Sterile lube jelly, 2.7g
2 Plastic Cord Clamps
1 Paper Tape Measure
12 Alcohol Prep Pads
4 Flex Straws
2 Sanitary pads, 12pk
4 Peach contour pads
1 Instant perineal compress
12 Sterile gauze 4x4
1 Sterile bulb syringe
1 Mesh Brief
3 Gloves, sterile pais
6 Gloves, sterile singles
1 Povidone solution, 4oz.
1 Scrub Brush with povidone
1 Welcome Birth Certificate
1 Neet Feet Footprinter
SHIPPING INCLUDED

Then I added the following:
3 IV Start kits
IV fluid (my husband and I both know how to start IV fluid and it makes him more comfortable, in case of hemmorage)
Doppler to measure heart tones
Amniohook
Neonatal resusitation Ambubag
plastic matress bag
OH.....and who can forget the birth pool!!!!!!

So we shall see. My husband's only concern is shoulder dystocia since it is a risk with diabetic mothers, but I truly feel as though we cannot limit our expereince based upon something that might happen, and is very rare. I trust my abilities and his knowledge to help me through this. We have birthed 4 previous babes with not an issue so why should I expect any difference now?
Alicia

amyjeans's Avatar amyjeans 04:45 PM 09-19-2005
Hi Alicia. Welcome to MDC!
Are you a midwife? I ask this because you have a lot of stuff that sounds like a midwife would carry. Such as the amniohook , IV stuff, and neonatal resusitation bag. Also, you birthed 4 babies before, so is this your 5th UC? Just wondering before I add my 2 cents.
thanks.
cottonwood's Avatar cottonwood 05:02 PM 09-19-2005
Oh my gosh! So, what are you going to use all that stuff for?

Let's see, my supplies consisted of:

1) sterilized white shoelace and scissors
2) lots of towels

Guess I'm a minimalist.
Persephone's Avatar Persephone 06:24 PM 09-19-2005
Here's my list. I'm not having a UC, but if I was, this also all I'd need. Some of this stuff I already have on hand, just not collected in one place yet. The stuff I'd need to buy is starred.

*Washable bed pads (wool? Lunablanket?) (In place of Chux pads... trying to have a non disposable birth)
*Washcloths (cheap packs from target)- for hot compresses
Towels
Placenta bowl
Puke trash can
*Heavy-duty trash bags
Receiving blankets
Baby clothes
Baby hat
Emergen-C/Recharge
*Clean shoelaces to tie off cord
Sterilized scissors
*Postpartum pads (cloth, and cold pack)
1 gallon sized freezer bag; for placenta storage
Olive oil, for lube
*Peri bottle
*Bulb syringe
*Bendy straws
*= need to buy
Arora The Explorer's Avatar Arora The Explorer 06:27 PM 09-19-2005
I didn't think I was a minimalist, but I feel like one after reading that list!

This is my birth kit just to give you an idea. Most of it is left overs from my other births and what i have around the house. Some of it I used last time, some I didn't:
6 Chux Pads
All my towels
New cloth baby wipes I'll use for compresses if needed
Plastic Shower curtain
Small bottle of olive oil
Peri Bottle (have never used it though... no tears, no skids here)
Sterilized scissors
Sterilized shoelace
Bowl
Flannel Baby blankets
Arnica Homeopathic

Food and drink will be purchased closer to the date. Other items around our house as needed (like a knife to cut a piece of placenta if I hemorrhage. And a blender if I need a placenta smoothie for lots of blood loss)

All I need is labor and a ready baby!

I guess what worries me about your long list of really medical slanted items is that to control a birth at home as if it's a medical event can be very dangerous.
alicia9178's Avatar alicia9178 07:12 PM 09-19-2005
{{I guess what worries me about your long list of really medical slanted items is that to control a birth at home as if it's a medical event can be very dangerous.}}

First and foremost no I am NOT a midwife.....I am a nursing student, and this is the 1st UC I am attempting....actually my 1st homebirth. I am not even remotly planning on managing this birth as a medical event, just would like to be prepared JIC. My hubby actually voted against the IV stuff after thinking about it awhile. He said that it I were to hemmorage it is much quicker to put me in the car and go then to waste time trying to get a line in.

The neonatal recesutation stuff is soley a just in case thing also....makes hubby feel better that he could do something before help got there if need be.

As I said I am so new at this that maybe I am overplanning.
Alicia
shell024's Avatar shell024 02:00 AM 09-20-2005
stuff I used:

(during labor/birth)
birth pool
pillows
TOWELS (lots of em)
a shower curtain
water
the toilet
dp's hands

(after)
more TOWELS (lots of em)
pillows
scissors & a hair tie to cut/tie cord
bucket for placenta
lots of water & food

I lost a lot of blood, but worked on breastfeeding to get placenta out (i pinched my nipples for awhile to get some contractions since baby didn't want to nurse right away & I was VERY uncomfortable). Once the placenta came out, I ate a small chunk. Bleeding stopped. Drank lots of water, lay down forever and ever.
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 03:22 AM 09-20-2005
So I was wondering,
1 Peri Bottle what is this?
6 Sterile lube jelly, 2.7g why?
1 Paper Tape Measure why?
4 Peach contour pads what are they?
1 Mesh Brief I've been hearing about these, people seem to like them, what is it?
3 Gloves, sterile pais
6 Gloves, sterile singles why so many?
1 Povidone solution, 4oz. what is it?
1 Scrub Brush with povidone what gets scrubbed?
Doppler to measure heart tones is this like a fetal monitor?
Amniohook what and why?
Neonatal resusitation Ambubag what is it?

Oh, and Arora, why olive oil?

I think that most of this just comes in the kit Alicia bought and she may or may not plan on using all the above items, but I was wondering if someone could explain to me why a person might want to use the items and/or what they are. Thanks!

Ergh, must edit to make perfectly clear... I'm really not passing a value judgement on any item. I personally would not choose to wear gloves for a homebirth, but I can see where someone would want to. Questions come purely from curiousity.
amyjeans's Avatar amyjeans 05:16 PM 09-20-2005
well- thanks for your post alicia. Makes sense you would have some of these things being a nursing student. At least you know how to use them.
Well, lots of those things, in my opinion may be overkill. Which ones? well, you'll know that after the birth, when its over and you look over the stuff you used, and what you didn't. I don't see anything wrong having more than enough.
Like we had the latex gloves- I used them for preparing chicken. The peri-bottle, well, I used it as a little shower for my babe in the tub. I still used the stuff, but not during the birth.
I plan on having good food to eat, warm blankets and clean sheets to curl up in. Plenty of water to keep my hydrated. Sterile scissors and cord clamps, baby clothes, depends undergarments for postpartum,(the menstal pads DONT cut it!). That's all I can think of.
This is our 2nd uc- and with our first uc, we ordered the deluxe birth kit, and wound up using 1/10th of the stuff.

all my best.
Sagesgirl's Avatar Sagesgirl 08:05 PM 09-20-2005
I gave some thought to ordering a prepackaged birth kit online, but the more I considered it the more things seemed extraneous.

What we actually wound up buying:
heating pad (I have a couple of recieving blankets wrapped around it, and baby's first outfit tucked in the pillowcase it's in)
towels at the thrift store (so we can feel free to just toss them if they get too icky)
maxi pads like I used at home after my other births

What we have on hand that I think might be of use:
sacred fishy pool
embroidery floss crocheted into cords to tie off the umbilicus
kitchen scissors for cutting the cord
baby blankets & clothes
crocheted caps & booties (which I probably won't need, considering the climate)
bulb syringe for suctioning if it's really necessary (will use my mouth for suction first)

I've read a bunch of UC stories, and very little tends to be used. A lot of people use underpads, but just as many use towels, & I'm more comfortable with towels.
amyjeans's Avatar amyjeans 08:25 PM 09-20-2005
So I was wondering,
1 Peri Bottle what is this? (perenium bottle, fill with warm water, it can be squeezed and sprays streams of water to soothe the perenium area after birth)
6 Sterile lube jelly, 2.7g why?(lubrication for internal exams)
1 Paper Tape Measure why?(to measure the baby's head circumference and length)
4 Peach contour pads what are they? (don't know that one)
1 Mesh Brief I've been hearing about these, people seem to like them, what is it?(supposedly one size fits all little mesh panties you can use to hold sanitary pads in place, as opposed to your own panties)
3 Gloves, sterile pais
6 Gloves, sterile singles why so many?(for the numberous internal cervical examinations)
1 Povidone solution, 4oz. what is it?(for sterilization of things like instruments I think?)
1 Scrub Brush with povidone what gets scrubbed?(hands fingers and arms prior to exams or surgery)
Doppler to measure heart tones is this like a fetal monitor? (yes, but not as invasive I believe)
Amniohook what and why?(little plastic hook used to artifically rupture the amniosac the baby is in- used to progress labor) (not the best thing to do btw)
Neonatal resusitation Ambubag what is it?(resusitation bag- just what it says- provide immediate oxygen bursts- infant size)

Please correct me if I am wrong!!
alicia9178's Avatar alicia9178 12:16 AM 09-21-2005
Wow...I guess ignorance would have costed me way more then I need to spend. Good to hear that people have ordered these kits, that sound so wonderful by the way, and maybe used 1/10th of them. I think I am going to revamp my list. I mean the gloves, lubrication, and isdine I even thought were overkill. I really do not plan on checking my dilation to much if at all. The amniohook....well if the baby for some reason comes out in the bag it can be ruptured with our hands I assume. I can tell you that DH and I did laugh about the gloves because my biggest thing is that he wants to catch the baby with his bare hands.....he was dissapointed in the hospital trying to catch our last 2 battling with a slippery baby and gloves is just not a good match...lol.

My 2 big hangups are the neonatal recussitation bag and the doppler. With having a history diabetes I do want to make sure I am assessing heartones and have the equiptment if there was a breathing problem. Probably overkill, but hey....we are homebirth virgins...lol.
ALicia
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 12:22 AM 09-21-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans
Doppler to measure heart tones is this like a fetal monitor? (yes, but not as invasive I believe)
Thanks! One oops on my part, I meant fetal scope, not monitor, a sort of tube thingy for listening to heart beats instead of an electronic device of some kind. :LOL So is doppler like a scope?
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 12:26 AM 09-21-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia9178
My 2 big hangups are the neonatal recussitation bag and the doppler. With having a history diabetes I do want to make sure I am assessing heartones and have the equiptment if there was a breathing problem.
ALicia
Since you're trained to use them, .

Actually, now that I know the recussitation's available, I'm considering seeing if I could learn to use it, but I may just get my CPR certification (3% extra credit in my Power and RF Analysis Class!) and studying infant CPR. I think that'd be a generally good skill for a parent...
Mama to 4's Avatar Mama to 4 12:36 PM 09-21-2005
In the op's "defense", we had a kit like this with our last homebirth with a MW. Here are what we used some of that stuff for, as we are kind of struggling with what to order now that it is ourselves alone, and trying to remember what actually was helpful and what didnt get used:

The povidone/peri bottle thing: My water broke 4 days before labor started and i rinsed myself off with a mild solution of this everytime after i went to the bathroom to be extra cautious about infection.

the povidone scrub brush was for the midwive's hands, if she would have had to dig around and help the baby get out, as in a shoulder dystocia or something, but she didnt end up using it. Postpartum infection are very serious, although with modern hygiene they are rare, and so maybe this was to cover her liabilities--- or maybe if i had a lot of fecal matter.........i dont know. it is to wash hands and maybe "tools"

the mesh undies are super stretchy funny underwears that are to hold your underpads in place with out staining your own underwear. They are what you get in the hospital. they stay up really well....

peach pads is just maxi pads.

lube would be for exams, if you were going to do this.

GLOVES is one DH and i are struggling with, as it seems silly to put gloves on to touch your own wife and baby......but again what if I am pushing and there is poo and he is trying to help a bit with perenial support.........who knows. We probably wont use gloves but it is about "germs" and comfort levels.

clamps and clips are for the cord, if you want to go that route. The idea of the shoelaces seems soft and nicer to me, but what if you have to cut for like a 4x nuchal cord before the baby is even out (EXTREMELY RARE) and your hands are just not bale to tie a little lovely knot-- you might want a plastic clamp.........i dont know

measuring tape is 5 cents, so you are not wrapping some wierd metal household measuring tape from the garage on the sweet baby's little head
If you want to measure the baby's head

Gauze is to wipe away feces, maybe blood, from mom. What my MW taught us which we will definately do this time, is to make little frozen pouches of the herbs from my herbal bath to use post partum in your undies for pain relief!

you take a little plop of the wet herbs from the bottom of the pot of the herbal bath that she simmered on the stove. You lay it on a little pile of gauze, then put more gauze over the top and lay this little package in the freezer. Then every hour or so you call out to DH "Hey honey I need a new little frozen herb thingy" and you stick it between your legs! TMI?? It was great though and this is what we did with gauze for the first 3 days.

The chux pads are for all the mess, but if you want to do towels, go for it. We used alot of both.

A fetoscope listens to a babys heart, a doppler is an electronic one.

Ok i think thats it for now!!!
Good luck, and i think having whatever makes you feel good around is what you "should" have, wheather it is a favorite CD, Grandma's blanket, pierogis, an ambulance phone number hanging on the fridge, or some povidone. JMO, but medical stuff in the house wont hurt anyone, and might be just what the op or her DH "need" to be in a comfort zone that is appropriate for them! To each her own......
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 08:45 PM 09-21-2005
Okay, I get it now.

:LOL :LOL at myself though, my first thought after people explained what the tape measure was for was "well, then why not use the one from your sewing supplies?". It would be difficult to measure a baby using a ruler or carpenter's tape measure. (Although, if anyone does feel like measuring the baby and only has that type of measuring device available, I suggest you wrap a string around the head and measure the string, also a great way to measure yourself for pattern fitting.)
Rockies5's Avatar Rockies5 02:51 AM 09-22-2005
you know..we bought one of these fancy birth kits for our UC (because there was no reason not to) and used nothing of it for the birth.

Birth: a plastic shower curtain under the sheet to protect the mattress. Dh used the cord clamps, and we did get cord cutters, and scratched his name on them. shoulda seen MIL using them a few months back trying to cut wrapping paper. "what is WRONG with your scissors!?"

but since you have other kids I have to tell you how wonderful and useful those other supplies can be!

*we used the chux pads for messy diaper changes
*the bulb syringe became a favorite bath and pool toy
*dd took the shrunken little hat they provide for her toys. I think rabbits live in it now.
*tapemeasure was used to measure things. Kids love to measure things.
*gloves were great for dunking diapers and flu outbreaks
*dh used the scrub at some point for a minor splinter
*Peri bottles are great! I used it for awhile as its nice to feel like you've had a bath at every potty break! this eventually became a bath toy as well

Ok now I'm tired and can't recall what else was on the original list.

hope you have a lovely birth.

carrie
Arora The Explorer's Avatar Arora The Explorer 08:20 PM 09-22-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
Oh, and Arora, why olive oil?
I've used the olive oil in the past for the perineum. I'll rub it on when I feel close to pushing. It makes everything slippery and really easy. I've not ever torn (not that it's all due to olive oil, but the lubrication does help). Some people use the olive oil for compresses during pushing or for massage oil.

Alicia, thanks for explaining more that you're trained to use all those medical supplies. Makes much more sense. And really, if you have the money to spend and the space to store things, you might as well get everything you think you might need.

Some of the items that made me afraid of you trying to manage your birth using the medical model at home were the amniohook, iodine, lubricant, etc. Those can have very negative uses, esp while at home. I just wasn't sure what you were planning to do with them. Like... have an internal exam, rupture your membranes early and then give an episiotomy or something!!! Just wasn't sure!

I believe some of the most dangerous midwives practice medical-style homebirths. When homebirths are managed according to the medical care model it makes for many many problems that can go wrong without the luxury of having all the equipment necessary for correcting the problem they created in the first place. When in fact, if birth was allowed to progress normally the problems wouldn't have been there in the first place.
peachymomma's Avatar peachymomma 12:03 AM 09-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia9178

So we shall see. My husband's only concern is shoulder dystocia since it is a risk with diabetic mothers, but I truly feel as though we cannot limit our expereince based upon something that might happen, and is very rare. I trust my abilities and his knowledge to help me through this. We have birthed 4 previous babes with not an issue so why should I expect any difference now?
Alicia
If hubby is worried about shoulder dystocia you need to read spiritual midwifery with him. Making sure to read and re read the section on shoulder dystocia and the gaskins manuver.
Ina mays book has an awesome section geared towards lay midwives. I love it.
Aura_Kitten's Avatar Aura_Kitten 12:45 AM 09-24-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
Oh my gosh! So, what are you going to use all that stuff for?

Let's see, my supplies consisted of:

1) sterilized white shoelace and scissors
2) lots of towels

Guess I'm a minimalist.

yeah, that was about our list too.

also ~

a pot or bucket to throw up in if needed (during transition),

a pot for the placenta (these might be the same thing if it's not used for throwing up!)...

.... and i think that's it!
Up