UC for midwives and doulas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-01-2005, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody. Just wanted to say hello for the first time (I think) in this particular forum.

I am a newly married midwife (after 9 years!!) and my husband and I are trying to decide when we'll start a family. I am pretty sure that we will be having a UC for several reasons.

Was wondering if there are any other midwives and doulas in here who have had a UC. Was wondering how maybe your experience and education helped/hurt your experience.

Thanks!!
#2 of 11 Old 10-01-2005, 11:30 PM

My UC was the highlight of my childbearing years... It was also the highlight of my children's father and my relationship. He had never caught a baby, but he caught this one! And was proud to have done so. He just followed what I told him to do...I would do UC in a heartbeat.
#3 of 11 Old 10-02-2005, 01:07 AM

My midwife had all her babies UC before she was a midwife (including twins!) I think it made her a better midwife. She really did trust birth and believe that women should be able to birth how they wanted.

Not exactly what you asked, but hope it helps!

-Angela
#4 of 11 Old 10-02-2005, 10:05 AM

The MW I see (mainly for the great cranial-sacral sessions) had a UC with her last baby.
#5 of 11 Old 10-02-2005, 09:40 PM

The midwife who attended my second birth had three planned UCs out of her four births (the first was a hospital birth.) Let me know if you're ever interested in talking to her re: your OP question (Pam knows who she is too!)
#6 of 11 Old 10-02-2005, 11:57 PM

I am not a midwife or have I had a UC yet but by the time I have another baby, all going to plan, I will be a certified midwife. I think in a way my ideals on what birthing should be would be of an advantage to my clients, I also believe that my 'training' may have both advantages as well as disadvantages to my own births. I feel for me it may make me overthink things a little and possibly go against my own instincts but as I said I havent been there yet and could be entirely wrong but on the other hand it may give me reassurance as well (even though I dont think id need it) that everything is fine, and that a UC is the way to go.
#7 of 11 Old 10-03-2005, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I feel for me it may make me overthink things a little and possibly go against my own instincts
That's why I'm wanting UC so much because I think that any training will interfere with my instincts and I'm not so sure that I could put my trust into anyone but myself.
#8 of 11 Old 11-01-2005, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds
The midwife who attended my second birth had three planned UCs out of her four births (the first was a hospital birth.) Let me know if you're ever interested in talking to her re: your OP question
I would love to get the name of the midwife. You're welcome to PM me.

Another question for you guys, was curious if there was any sort of testing that you decided to do? I'm pretty much not wanting anything for the most part but still struggle with a few things.

At this point, I'm still really undecided whether or not we will be UC. I'm thinking about hiring a midwife to have on-call for us and to possibly just be somewhere in the house, but I haven't decided if I want to open that whole can o' worms or not.
#9 of 11 Old 11-01-2005, 05:05 PM

on the same note, i am an l and d nurse (please, no throwing rocks or anything) who is eagerly awaiting her first ubac. i think as a health care provider in this field, a certain number of us were drawn to the work because of our fundamental belief in the strength and instinctual ability of women to birth their own children. (in my case as a result of seeing what can happen when that belief is ignored and normal biological processes are treated/managed as an "illness".) it seems only natural that those of us holding that belief in the field are personally drawn to UC. i have been working thru separating the clinician portion of my brain from the instinctual birth goddess part. if i had prenatal care/testing to do over again (which hopefully i will next preg!) i would not get shadow care after the 1st trimester, and only minimally before that. the remnants of the clinician hiding in the back dusty corners of my brain would probably still want at least one initial diagnostic ultrasound to r/o fetal anomalies and verify placental placement. but other than that any woman should be able to tell if something felt 'off' or any illness was suspected. i know that most women on this board would feel completely ok w/o the ultrasound--just a personal compromise for me.

as far as having another midwife in the house, would this be for intermittent fht monitoring or assistance in newborn resus if needed? or managment of bleeding or repair of tears? examining your reasons for desiring another med pro in the house should help u work thru that issue. for me, i had to work thru my trust of my own body following my c/s to admit that the only reason i considered another med pro was for FHT monitoring. i can manage the rest of it on my own if need be (which the need will NOT be) with my own equipment/meds. i have personally gotten to the point now that i have a doppler for very very intermittent heart tones, but do not need anyone else to listen while in labor. for me it has been about examining my feelings and compromising b/w the two differing sides of my brain in a way that makes both sides happy.

as far as listening to your body and not overthinking the issues, that is about quelling the fear beforehand. even doing what i do, the "birthing from within" art therapy stuff really helped me work thru that. i know now that once i am in labor, the lack of fear will let me listen to my more primal side and do what is nessicary for my baby to be born.

anyways, sorry so long...

hopefully i will be able to let u know the details of how it goes in a week or two!
#10 of 11 Old 11-13-2005, 12:11 AM

I haven't had an UC yet, but if we have another I will be planning an UC, or something close. I really want to birth with just my partner, but one of the support people I would want around (like downstairs or whatever) is a good friend who also happens to be a midwife. Not sure if I want to be a purist and have no one around at all, or a close circle downstairs to help afterwards and love me up a bit. Having anyone's extra energy may negate some of the benefits of UC for me, but I am struggling with maybe wanting a security blanket of support. I can't reconcile the two.

As for knowledge, I feel like I can leave that part of my brain off because it will either be ok, or not -- and the not is always pretty obvious. I don't feel like I would need to scrutinize my birth in other words. If I need to deal with it, I will see it and do what I need to do.

Sort of off-topic, sorry.
#11 of 11 Old 11-13-2005, 02:43 AM

I'm a doula planning my 4th UC, although I UC'd before becoming a doula, it was the final push that made me decide every women needs to feel that empowered.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page