41 weeks...induction?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2005, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have planned an unassisted homebirth since 2 months along. I dreamed of one for 2 years now though. At hubbys request though and to compromise I am seeing a midwife. She only does hospital deliveries.

Today I am 41 weeks and had a non stress test. Baby was super active and passed and fluid levels were more than adequate. Excellent.

But she scheduled me for an induction next tues when ill be 1 day shy of 42 weeks. She said I cant go past that. I know this is for their own protection.

I jsut dont understand why my body wont labor already. False labor everynight. Good timeable contractions, they just dont ever get any stronger. Even with nipple stimulation. Ive tried every natural induction method (besides castor oil, ill never do that again.)

What do I do if come next tues im still preg? Just not show up? I dont see that as an option. Its not like i can just never see her again she is doing my biopsy and leep procedure after the baby which I have to have before my insurance runs out at 6 weeks postpartum. I wouldnt have time to change drs before it runs out its a long drawn out procedure with medicaid needing referrals ect,.

Do I just give up and give in? I know that tues is still a week away and I have a chance of goin on my own but its seeming more and more like it wont happen by then. I might be one of those women whose babies need 43 weeks. Thats not an option with her though.

Any advice?

mindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2005, 03:39 AM

Why would you agree to an induction for no reason? Normal gestation is from 37-42 weeks. You're not even "overdue" yet. I don't understand why you would go along with an induction for no reason when you're planning a UC.

-Angela
Old 10-19-2005, 04:29 AM

You do what you feel comfortable with. If you went overdue last time, you may well be one of those women who gestate longer. But your midwife has to act to protect herself, unfortunately, as well as you.

Now, what I would do...I'd throw everything at my body all over again in the hopes of getting things started before the deadline. Blue/black cohosh, sex if you've got a cooperative partner, long walks, spicy food...Everything. (I know you said you've tried it all, but how about cumin tea? That's not one I'd run across before, but apparently it's fairly common in Mexico--dose is 1 tsp in a 6 oz cup hot water.) I'd also try to see if I could get an appt before then to get my membranes stripped, as uncomfortable as I understand that to be. If your body isn't ready, it won't work, and I know how frustrating that can be (said the woman who's been laboring off & on for more than a week now). But better than feeling pressured into a hospital induction.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 10-19-2005, 10:15 AM

Please, remember to look at all the information and support that people posted in your other thread about the same topic: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=355176

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothercooter
What do I do if come next tues im still preg? Just not show up? I dont see that as an option. Its not like i can just never see her again she is doing my biopsy and leep procedure after the baby which I have to have before my insurance runs out at 6 weeks postpartum. I wouldnt have time to change drs before it runs out its a long drawn out procedure with medicaid needing referrals ect,.
What's more important to you - having a UC or seeing someone for an unrelated procedure after you went against their medical judgement? Seems like you already made up your mind. And, I support you in your decision. If a M/W hospital birth is what you feel the most comfortable with right now, then that's great. You know your body and your baby best. If you feel it's more important to stay with the MW you hired and have your baby before 42 weeks than to UC, then so be it. I wish you a beautiful birth and a happy healthy baby.

I don't personally support the idea of natural inductions, I figure the baby will come when it's ready, whether that's at 36 weeks or 44 weeks. If natural induction suggestions is what you want, perhaps this thread will help you:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ion+techniques
Old 10-19-2005, 01:41 PM

Sigh. This saddens me. A baby is growing in the safest place posible, just where it is meant to be, and in the name of "compromise" and "covering my ass" (the midwife) it will likely be forced or pushed or (probably) cut out of that place prematurely.

You have received a lot of support and information here, but you either believe in the process or you don't. You know that many babies gestate naturally for up to 43-46 weeks, and that this is normal and healthy for those babies. You have seen for yourself by the medicalized nst you agreed to that your baby is thriving and well, and yet you are doing everything in your power to force your baby from its nest before it is ready to fly. I really fail to see how being born prematurely into a germy hospital environment (or anywhere, for that matter) is healthier than staying put in safe mama's belly until everything is really ready.

It's so very sad when "loved ones" and "professionals" who are supposedly concerned about a person's health and well-being use fear and scare-tactics to undermine what could have been an empowering experience for an entire family.

I hope you decide to take back your body and your decisions from these people and protect your baby from their ignorance, but if you don't, I do wish you all the best that can be.

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 PM

I was in a similar situation with my last birth. I was seeing a hospital midwife, but I was planning on having my dd at the hospital with the midwife.. so my story is just a bit different. But, the midwife said that I had to have that baby out by 42 weeks and that hospital policy is that I could not go past 42 weeks. I was 41 weeks 5 days with absolutely no signs of labor, and I did not want to be induced. I caved and went in and had pitocin, and then monitors, and a catheter.. basically I could not get up, and I ended up with an epidural. Thankfully, not a c-section!

Here's what I would do if I could do it over again: REFUSE. It really is that easy. Just say no, I feel strongly about this, and I dont want to be induced. Here's what I predict will happen: your midwife may get angry and tell you the baby is or will be in danger, she will blab to you about meconium, and dangerously low fluids. BUT, they still cannot refuse to see you. The midwife probably wont be able to see you..but you will see an obgyn at the hospital. If she doesnt work directly at the hospital she will refer you. And the ob will continue to monitor you with the ns tests, and u/s. Go as long as you want to, and as long as the baby is fine.

Here's a good link about 10 month mamas:
http://www.birthlove.com/free/ten_month_mama.html

Im sorry this is happening to you. But, just like me.. Im sure the stress of having a dead line is making your baby stay in even longer!! So relax, and do what you feel is best. Good Luck
Old 10-21-2005, 04:54 PM

Ug...
What an uncomfortable position to be in.

My older son went 45-46 weeks before being born normally at an average weight with no complications (and yes, I am SURE it was that long. I knew *exactly* when I got pregnant).

Thank goodness I was lucky enough to have a very homeopathic, naturalistic doctor who was familiar with my (now) exhusband's family history of long pregnancies and let my body and my baby decide when he was ready to be born!

I would call your midwife and tell her that you are very uncomfortable with her decision to induce you on that date. Explain to her that it is your choice to wait - maybe offer a later date and offer to come in for frequent checks.

Of course, this may all be null and void - you could deliver tonight!

BTW - motorcycle rides are fabulous for inducing labor...
Old 10-21-2005, 05:22 PM

I would refuse if all seems well with the baby.

My first was a couple days past due date
Second was 2 weeks late
Third was 3 weeks late.

Its your body so you need to do what right for you and your baby.

I have come to the conclussion that it is good to be really vage about dates as it buys you more time.

My mw was in a spot (state laws) with me being 3 weeks late but with me being unsure about dates it bought us room to be "late"

Happy birthing and relax!
Old 10-22-2005, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

When I first found out I was pregnant I made sure I told them my date of conception (ovulation date) rather than my lmp cause i have 33 day cycles but didnt ovulate till the 24th cycle day this time. If they went by my last month period using the "all mighty" wheel assuming every women ovulates on day 14 and has 28 day cycles I would have been due oct 3rd. They would have flipped by now. I instead just gave them my ovulation date and for the few that argued they needed lpm I gave them one that would give the same due date. I thought that was safe enough me being sure about my dates this time. Guess even when you are sure about dates sometimes baby just needs extra time.

Im definately refusing induction that early. The more I think about it, it just seems ridiculous. There is no need my baby needs to be forced from where she is safe if all is well with her. Someone refered me to the "10 month mamas" site on birthlove.com and that helped as well.

I can feel it will be any day (or hour) now, lol. My body is gearing up and preparing nicely. Now if it could all just come together. I know it will when the time is just right. Id glady go for another month if I had to and if it was safe, lol. I just wanna avoid that pitocin! (and all the other interventions a hospital comes with).

I have faith this will happen. Im hoping it will happen before I even have to refuse the induction but if not im prepared.

Mindy
edd 10/12
Old 10-22-2005, 03:22 AM

Glad you're feeling more confident!

-Angela
Old 10-23-2005, 12:47 AM

Ive been coming back and checking your thread. Please update when things happen. Im so happy for you. You seem so much more confident in yourself. Does your midwife work with an ob? Have you met the ob? Im just wondering because in case you do go past their time limit, the midwife will most likely transfer your care to the ob. Then I think you will really have to defend your choice. Just be prepared for that. I think the nicest 'keep the peace' way of doing things would just be to avoid getting defensive, instead just politely refuse induction and go with their tests. And as long as everything is okay then your fine. But also be knowledgable about the tests they do. Sometimes it can show false positives on something. Have you checked out the Henci Goer books? I thought they were very good.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:06 AM

I'm reading this on Sunday, jsut 2 days before your Tuesday "deadline". Wondering how things are going!

I'd refuse. Heck, I probably woudn't show up. I'd be willing to take that risk if induction made me that uneasy. Offer to do biophysical profiles and NSTs once you hit 42 wks. If you really "must" be induced, pick theinduction you want. Have your membranes stripped. Go back a few days later for an overnight induction with Cervadil and don't let them talk Pitocin until you are at least 4cms if ever at all.

I truly wish you the best. I hope you have an incredible birth. I'm so sad that we live ina society so obsessed with due dates GOod luck mama!!

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (7), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)
Old 10-23-2005, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Doing a lot better. I did get my confidence back. Confidence in my body and mother nature to run its course. I did have my membranes stripped friday and have since lost more mucus than I thought one body could produce. Still no labor though plenty of false labor. I have dilated and even effaced a bit more after a quick check. I woke up this morning just feeling.."different" im having light contractions (which is strange after all the intense irregular ones for days) and they seem to be coming pretty regular. Im not timing them. I cant torture myself like that. Also whats amazing is that my stubbornly posterior baby seemed to have went LOA on me overnight. Isnt it amazing how things work out for themselves when we let them? I dont think I will have to even worry about tuesday though either way im not going to be induced that day. I have faith in my body. (again)

Thanks for the support and knowledge!

Mindy
Old 10-23-2005, 09:14 PM

Woo-hoo, Mindy! I'm so glad you're feeling in tune! That's wonderful!

Keeping you and your baby in my thoughts & prayers!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:02 PM

Mindy, you sound right back on track - how wonderful!
We're all wishing you the best!!!
Happy laboring!

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
Old 10-25-2005, 03:50 PM

Im so excited for you!! I still keep checking this thread and sending you good thoughts. Please update when you get a chance.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 PM

I'm following along. Keep us in the loop.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:43 AM

I'm assuming the babe's here by now. What happened?!

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 10-30-2005, 11:03 AM

I *think* that I saw mothercooter post on another board that she had bloody show (I think it was on the 25th), but she didn't update after that. I don't think she's much into updating. So, she might not be back. I saw her post about this induction idea in 3 different places, but she didn't really update her threads. Might just not be her style. But, you can check her Profile to see that she pops on and reads every now and then.

So, while we don't know if she's reading with a baby on her lap or in her belly, wishing you well, Mindy! And, please, let us know how you're doing & what we can learn from your experience. Thank you.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:56 AM

:

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:34 AM

YAY! JUST POSTED!

http://www.christianuc.com/forums/in...showtopic=3248

Congrats, Mindy! Wishing you a very happy Baby Moon! Blessings to your family!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hi! I am currently trying to write my birth story! I DID go into labor on my own at exactly 42 weeks oct 26th. After 4 hours of VERY INTENSE labor, She was born, 8 lbs 11 oz and is nursing like shes done it for years! Ill post my birth story shortly

Mindy
Old 11-01-2005, 08:22 PM

They always come out when they're ready, huh?

congrats!

-Angela
Old 11-01-2005, 08:29 PM

Wonderful news, Mindy!
I'm so glad your baby got to choose her own birthday!
Congratulations!

Old 11-02-2005, 01:52 AM

Worth waiting for, Huh? Hugs to all

User Tag List