Belly mapping questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-31-2005, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, each time I think I have a good understanding of this baby's position ... I end up doubting my guess and getting confused.

Right now, I am getting a good heartbeat about parallel to my belly button, all the way to the very right (your left if looking at my belly) ... the heartbeat is strongest all the way over, almost to my side. I feel hiccups down low, toward my pubic bone ... on either side depending on the time/day. I even listen with the fetoscope to the hiccups to find where they seem to be loudest, and assume that would be baby's head/chest/tummyback ... at least the diaphram seems to be what 'jumps' when our family members get hiccups so I'm assuming the same for baby. I even thought on three different occasions that I felt hiccups on one side and simultainiously felt them a little further over ont he other side, so perhaps the hiccups is causing baby's body to 'jump' a little or a delayed reaction.

Everything I have read says if the baby is head down, I should hear the heartbeat the strongest under my navel ... but I can't figure out why I am hearing it the strongest all the way on my side... would have suspected that to be the placenta but the heartbeat is so clear and strong there and it moves a little to the left/right/up/down (I marked the spot with a red marker LOL) ... not sure if that would happen if it was the placenta I was hearing.

I also have what feels like a solid 'back' or placenta (?) or something on the left side of my belly (which is completely parallel and across the belly from the heartbeat. I get kicks everywhere ... most of the pregnancy felt lots of little and big movements down low, so I was thinking baby had hands and feet down low and back up high ... but I also get big movements all over, too.

I tend to carry bigger babies ... and assume this one will be large too. How big is baby's head at 33 weeks? How long are the legs? Sometimes I just can't imagine how the legs are kicking me all the way over on the other side of my tummy when I'm hearing the strong heartbeat way over on the right.

I think I hear my heartbeat and possibly baby's through the cord or placenta (sounds very faint, sometimes windy or breezy like a wind tunnel, etc) at different times/places, but am depending on that very strong, clear heartbeat way over on my side as the baby's back or chest. My kids have all heard it in that place, as well as DH. I just can't figure this out.

It's SO fun trying though.

I've been to the bellymapping site and think I have it figured out, and then end up doubting myself because I get hiccups very low and deep where they just don't seem to belong.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-31-2005, 05:23 PM

I totally feel you, mama!

My babe's heartbeat is low... I mean LOW! Almost in my pubic hair low! I tried the belly mapping... just confuses me! I am using a doppler, so I am very sure of the heartbeat. The FHTs swtich from left side to right side, but ALWAYS very low! So what does that mean!??! I dunno!?

I get kicks everywhere as well... just a big round rump a few inches above my belly button is the only thing that is definately identifiable!

Sorry I'm not much help! I'll be looking for other replies on this topic, as I'm just lost here! I was guessing ROA, possibly LOA for this babe.
#3 of 5 Old 10-31-2005, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... really? Maybe the doppler, being ultra sensitive, is picking up the heartbeat low in the pubic area when the baby is head down and the actually heart is a little higher?

I'm using a fetoscope which is definitely not sensitive like a doppler ... I can hear my tummy gurgling and digesting food, fetal movements, the windy sound through the cord, and heart tones ... and 9 times out of 10, those are all the way over near my side. I have heard them lower in my tummy as well, on either side of my stomach ... earlier on ... but lately, the heartbeat has been pretty consistenly parallel to my navel but all the way over by my side. I suspected that baby may be posterior and that may be the cause, but I don't know. It's a mystery!!! I think that's one of the best parts of taking care and control of your own pregnancy though ... the mystery of the womb ... if only I had all day and night to sit around and focus and feel my baby's parts, pay close attention to where those hiccups are coming from, etc ... but alas, I do have four other kids and a husband who need me. LOL!

#4 of 5 Old 11-11-2005, 04:48 AM

do you have movement that goes across the face of your belly ? does your navel have that "dip" look ? sounds posterior then

midwife
#5 of 5 Old 11-11-2005, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

The navel doesn't have that 'dip' but I was suspecting posterior ... honestly I could feel baby moving all over ... big rolling, body type movements but the punches, kicks, wiggles, jabs all seemed to be low, along with the hiccups. It was strange ... I just couldn't figure out how the back/shoulders (if that's where the heartbeat was strongest) would be all the way over toward my side with baby seemingly everywhere else! LOL!

The other day, I got the heartbeat under my navel and the movements down low seem to be more tickles and wiggles (hands, fingers, etc) with the larger, knee/leg/feet movements tucked inside ... I occasionally see huge parts moving from one side to the other, sort of 'tossing and turning' so I'm assuming that baby is vertex, at least for now. I have 5 1/2 weeks until my due date so who knows.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page