Planning on UCB, what needed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-01-2005, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howdy! I am 18 and planning on doing unssisted. My plan is not tell anyone I am in labour untill the baby is crowned and then I might call my sister (not my mom!). Other then that possibility, I do not want anyone but me and DH there.

What do we need for this?
Does a fetascope work during labour or do you need a doppler?

A friend (non ucer) said we should have sunctioning equipment on hand. What suctioning equipment? One of those bulb things?

What did you guys have on hand with you? and what did you wish you had ?

Lastly, how much blood is normal to come up ? When is it too much?

Feed back pls!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-02-2005, 10:30 AM

Congrats on your pregnancy!

The best feedback I can give you is to do research. Many people come to UC for different reasons and there are different belief systems at work. If you "google" unassisted birth you'll find lots of informative sites each with a different feel. Personally, i like www.freebirth.com

What do we need for this?
You can buy a complete birth kit, assemble one yourself or go minimalistic.

Does a fetascope work during labour or do you need a doppler?
Many UCrs choose not to listen to fetal heart tones. You will not be able to identify them yourself while in labor. A fetascope, stethascope or a doppler would work. If you really want to monitor heart tones then you need to have someone else with you to do it well. So, have them use whatever they feel the most comfortable with.

A friend (non ucer) said we should have sunctioning equipment on hand. What suctioning equipment? One of those bulb things?
Again, not always seen as needed. Most mothers will instinctually use their own mouth if the baby needs to be suctioned but most do not. A bulb thing is sufficient if you want something on hand.

What did you guys have on hand with you? and what did you wish you had ?
You can do a search in this forum for Birth Supplies and see entire threads on the subject.

Lastly, how much blood is normal to come up ? When is it too much?
Blood usually looks like a lot more than it actually is. If you're concerned about hemorrhage do a search on this board for entire threads on the subject.

Welcome. I hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy and birth!
#3 of 4 Old 11-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Ame

Arora The Explorer did an excellent job answering your questions...IMO I think the best preparation is mental and all the "stuff" isn't really as necessary.
#4 of 4 Old 11-03-2005, 01:07 AM

i never really had much stuff. i think you don't need a suction thing, you can use your mouth IF needed.
have you considered water birth? it was a wonderful way to welcome my first UC baby. gave me more strength at the end of a long labor to stay on my knees and catch me own baby.
enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page