An odd request maybe... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2005, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure how this will go over seeing as I'm new but I am also on another UC website as well.

I was wondering if anyone has any pictures, comments, quotes or thoughts they wouldn't mind me using for a UC presentation I'm giving this next Monday in my community. A group of us are giving presentations on birth-options and I asked to do the UC one. I have not had a UC yet (a homebirth transfer and homebirth so far) but plan a UC for our next baby(ies).

I won't share any personal information or use anything given to me for other purposes (of course!). My e-mail is in my profile...

Thanks for the consideration!
Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2005, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe being a *little* more descriptive will help too I guess... you can answer any or all of these too and that would be really helpful for me too even -

*What drew you to UC?
*What was your biggest fear before you UC'd? How did you feel about that fear after UCing?
*Was it difficult to have both partners agree to UC?
*Did you do your own prenatal care?
*Were you prepared for emergencies, deviations of normal?
*What resources did you look into before making your choice?
*What (to you) is the highest benefit to UCing?
*What did you do with your other children (if you had others) while birthing?
*Have you had any legal trouble with your choice to UC?

I was thinking of pictures of Mom in labor, families as a whole, babies may be good because the people that have UCd aren't "weird" but look like all of us... and that may be good to connect for the people listening? Thanks.

Julie

Old 11-02-2005, 01:44 AM

What drew you to UC?
The fact that where I lived had NO midwives and they were still knocking women out for the birth-- in 1989! I had already had one homebirth, and knew I wanted to do it again.

What was your biggest fear before you UC'd? That someone else would interfere with my birth.
How did you feel about that fear after UCing? I realized they(church family) thought I was nuts anyway, so it really didn't matter!)

Was it difficult to have both partners agree to UC? No, because hospital wasn't an option unless I KNEW I would have to go. And I told my husband not to bring me to South Hill hospital unless I was already dead!

Did you do your own prenatal care? Went to the local clinic. We were very poor.

Were you prepared for emergencies, deviations of normal? Yes. I am a midwife apprentice, and had already done other births before my UC...

What resources did you look into before making your choice? There weren't that many then, the internet didn't exist, but all the midwifery books, especially Spiritual midwifery,Myles Midwifery, and Heart and Hands, kept me going.
What (to you) is the highest benefit to UCing? The continuity of care, and the control factor. I control who is present, what thier roles are, if any and when they leave...

What did you do with your other children (if you had others) while birthing? They stayed in thier room and read, but were free to come and go within the apartment. They were 11 and 8 when thier brother was born.

Have you had any legal trouble with your choice to UC? Nope.None whatsoever.

You can check out my website, www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/9015 there are some interesting pics, but none of me, yet. I have to find them!
Old 11-02-2005, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much Cathi!

Old 11-02-2005, 12:26 PM

What group is this happening through? Just curious!
Old 11-02-2005, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Our local ICAN chapter = though we advertised throughout our city for anyone ttc, pg, medical providers, etc. to come. Should be fun but I'm a lot nervous at how many people are expected to come. So far there will be info on homebirth, birthcenter, hospital and UC... it's about childbirth options in our community.

Thanks for asking.
Julie

Old 11-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Ame

*What drew you to UC?
the fact that hospital birthing ( I had two) felt invasive and unnatural and after much reading was defianlty not what I wanted and in the new place I was living there were only 2 midwives and one was a hospital only midwife.

*What was your biggest fear before you UC'd? How did you feel about that fear after UCing?
That something would happen that we couldn't handle...
Something did happen (his head was stuck for a little over a minute) but we handled it using our instincts and everything turned out great and if we had been in a hospital it likely would have been a huge traumatic ordeal.

no...my husband was more sure of it than I was

I did see a midwife periodically but for the most part I did my own care (which was just monitoring how I felt).

yes...I read many books and what I feel is most important in these situations is that you are confident and you trust yourself.

I read many stories of real people who had experienced UC birth and chatted on message boards like this one and read all the books I could get my hands on.

The ability to prevent trauma and stress on you and your child by being ina relaxed environment where yoru body can perform naturally.

They did what they wanted (they are older and self-sufficient) and with the second they stood at the door to the bathroom and watched.

No...but I believe all it would take is a busy body who caught wind of your choice to make an issue of it which could easily bring about legal trouble.

You are welcome to use any of my posts on UC that you find on MDC and if you don't get enoguh photos, let me know and I will dig some up for you. just email me at [email protected]
Old 11-06-2005, 09:49 PM

*What drew you to UC? A need to control my pregnancy and birth

*What was your biggest fear before you UC'd? with my first UC my biggest fear was retained placenta. How did you feel about that fear after UCing? well before UCing I researched the topic thourghly. I still have pictures of normal and abnormal placentas on my hard drive

*Was it difficult to have both partners agree to UC? no, actually it was was dh's idea and with a little more educating it seemed the best option

*Did you do your own prenatal care? yes, I do urine dips (you can buy the strips online) fundal height, I have a blood pressure monitor but only use it when I feel it might be elevated or low, and I listen to heart tones with a fetoscope, but don't during labor.

*Were you prepared for emergencies, deviations of normal? I was aware of the deviations from normalcy, what to look for and what to do and my husband was educated on what to look for and what to do. We had a plan for emergency transfer.

*What resources did you look into before making your choice? Lots of reading. I read many books on midwifery, I thourghly researched abnormalities in labor and I read lots of positive birth stories.

*What (to you) is the highest benefit to UCing? Being in control. Making my own decisions and not having to fight anyone or convince them that I do indeed know what I'm talking about.

*What did you do with your other children (if you had others) while birthing? We usually ask the in-laws or a friend to take them, so I can concentrate and also in the event of an emergency they are out of the house and we don't have to be concerned with them.

*Have you had any legal trouble with your choice to UC? no

I'd add that UC isn't for everyone, it requires a trust in one's self and a responsibitly alot of people aren't willing to take. Things can go wrong, it's a fact of life, and as a UCer you are the only one around to take the blame, whether that blame comes from you or someone else. As a UCer if something goes wrong I have to make the decision as to what we are going to do, I can't just shrug and say "what ever you think is best" and let someone else handle it. But also as a UCer I've never felt more empowered than when I delivered my first son unassited. I never felt closer to my husband than when he was the only one to touch our child it was amazing. We alone created that child and we alone brithed that child. No intrusions, no succumbing to policies, no one to tell me to be quiet or not to eat I could listen to my body and do what felt right. After 3 UC's my husband can "read" my body too, he can hear it almost as well as I can and knows when to be quiet and when to touch, it's amazing and sensual and I wouldn't have it any other way.

You can use any of these pictures

this is just minutes after my 2nd UC
http://gallery.andersonsplace.net/al.../minslater.jpg

another just minutes after the birth (notice he's not screaming, his hands aren't clenched in fear, he's relaxed and sleepy)
http://gallery.andersonsplace.net/al...2/brandnew.jpg

my youngest (also a UC) meeting his brother for the first time, he was less than an hour old
http://gallery.andersonsplace.net/al...eliandabe2.jpg

here is another... this was UC #3 also jusy minutes after he was born. The toilet paper roll yu see behind him is because he was born on the toilet
http://gallery.andersonsplace.net/al...l/P5160106.jpg
Old 11-07-2005, 03:19 PM

Dang, I forgot about this thread until just today, doing some research for my own UC talk happening tomorrow.

*What drew you to UC?

A feeling of wrongness about having people present who are not intimately connected to me and the baby; as well, the belief that the birth process unfolds most normally under the least amount of distraction and inhibition.

My only real fear was that the baby would go into respiratory distress after the birth. I feel it's a totally reasonable fear to have, as it's obviously a possibility (if remote in a healthy mother and undisturbed birth,) but I'm sorry that I spent time worrying about it because that in itself was not productive.

My husband was initially more comfortable having a midwife come, but no, it was not at all difficult to bring him around. Just took time and understanding.

I took care of myself and was aware of my state of health, certainly, but did not do most of the things usually thought of as "prenatal care". I had no ultrasound, no blood tests, no GD test, did not assess my urine, did not measure my fundus for growth, did not weigh myself, etc. This was all, by the way, very intentional rather than neglectful in nature. I did take my blood pressure twice when the way I was feeling warranted it, and I determined and had verified by a midwife the position of baby and placenta.

Yes.

The writings that were most influencial in my choices were by doctors Michel Odent and Sarah Buckley, specifically their work in detailing the hormonal process of birth and what the ramifications are of interfering with it.

A normal birth and postpartum, and by extension a centered, unstressed mother who is able to care for her family with her natural instincts intact. And obviously, the affects of this harmony keep rippling outward.

This last time my oldest son very much wanted to be present for the birth. We thought that probably the two middle children would go to their grandparents' house if the labor began getting intense during the day, but as it happened the family was sleeping as I labored through the night and gave birth early in the morning.

Not at all.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:41 AM

Is it too late? Do you still need pictures?

User Tag List