baby won't come out, bp issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey, I'm looking for some advice from some UCers here. I've been planning a UC for my first baby and we wern't too sure of the due date, it would have been sometime between Oct 11th (the most likely date) to the 25th (I couldn't be due any later than this or I would have never gotten a positive pregnancy test when I did) So any way you look at it, I'm overdue, by how much I don't really know. I don't really have a problem with her being overdue except for the fact that a few days ago when I checked my bp it was severely high (stage 3 hypertension). I've also been extremely swollen mostly in my feet and calves (my calves are the same size as my thighs!!) and now my hands are starting to swell quite a bit as well. I've been seeing spots and have been having pretty severe headaches for the past few weeks. I know without having to check for protein that this all together means that I most likely have pre-e. (I'm at pretty high risk for it since I'm a first time mom, I'm 19 and have had kidney problems in the past) This has all developed in the last week. Before this bp was very normal, no swelling at all, basically just very healthy. Now my bp has dropped to less severe levels and has actually been ranging quite drastically between very low and pretty high (I haven't gotten a second reading as high as the first time it's spiked though). I know that this baby has to come out soon, we're both at too much risk, but how long is too long to wait for her to come on her own? I've tried everything, castor oil, cohosh, walking, sex, spicy foods, chiropractor, accupuncture....She's still in there. I know she's still doing well, quite active and strong fetal tones. Yesterday I had accupunture and started having contractions from about 11am til 1am, but I went to bed and I woke up and they were gone. Hubby and I can get some good contractions going by using accupressure on the points where the needles were, but we can't really get them to keep comming on their own with increasing frequency/strength. We're gonna keep trying to get her out on our own, but I'm getting concerned about my condition. Should I go to the hospital to be induced? That is the LAST thing that I want, but even more so, I don't want anything bad to happen to my baby or myself. I keep saying, wait just one more day, she'll come out, but what if I wait one day too long? I'm willing to wait as long as it takes for her to come out on her own as long as it's safe for the both of us, but at what point now is it unsafe? Any advice would be much appreciated. I keep hoping I'll just go into labor and I won't have to decide anymore.
#2 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 01:46 PM

Can you call a local homebirth MW or two and ask them what they think?
My MW was a UC supporter.
I'm sorry that I'm of no help otherwise. I'm quite sure I wouldn't feel comfortable without some sort of medical assistance with your symptoms BUT
I'm not you and YOU are the one who needs to decide what is the best thing for you and your baby.

Good luck. I hope you get answers soon (try the MW forum here maybe).

DS 6 DD 8
#3 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I would have been getting prenatal care from a midwife, but she quit early in my pregnancy and there are none to be found here other than ones who work in a hospital. My state charges midwives with practicing medicine without a license and anything else they can find to charge them with even though it's technically not illegal for them to practice here. That's somewhat how I ended up UC.
#4 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You need to have your protein levels tested IMMEDIATELY. The symptoms you have described sound like classic pre-eclampsia. I feel that you are playing with fire by not having a 24 hour urine test done so youi know where you stand. If you have pre-e and don't deliver the baby soon, your blood pressure will continue to rise, and you will begin to seize. PLEASE, PLEASE don't play around with this! I have had pre-e 3 times, and it is not something that gets better or goes away. If you are havung visual disturbances, you are in bad shape. Pre-e can worsen VERY suddenly, and blood pressures can fluctuate rapidly. Please pm me if you have any more questions.
#5 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 02:01 PM

Also, the longer you wait, the more likely you will be to end up with an emergency c-section. If you go in while you are still stable enough to be induced, at least you will still be able to(hopefully) have a vaginal delivery, although not quite like you planned.
#6 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 02:44 PM

This website may be helpful for you in case the contractions starting and stopping is due to baby trying to get in an optimal birthing position.

http://www.spinningbabies.com/Labor.html

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#7 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 03:06 PM

Have you tried pm'ing pamamidwife or mwherbs or another midwife around here? I'm w/the previous poster that all those symptoms together sound very concerning. I think I would be seen to immediately in your shoes. Bummer that your area doesn't have more MWs...

Hope you're okay mama.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#8 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

I have a bp monitor at home so I check it every 1/2 hour to hour and if it spikes as high as it did the first time I'd defiantly at that point go in, but as of right now, it's high but not dangerous. The thing is, I know it can be very dangerous, but I still don't entirely feel at this point that me or the baby is in danger.
#9 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 03:28 PM

so just saw this thread and I would want to do some labs and a urine test because it could very well be pre-eclampsia
the reason that BP is a problem isn't a single spike it is prolonged high BP exposure and what happens to vessels under that kind of pressure- not only what happens to mom but what happens to placental bed circulation--- the other stuff for mom is the danger of going into full blown eclampsia- having seizures - or HELLP .
something that we ask our clients is how are your bowels?-- how the liver clears things from the body is through the bowels- so if you have been constipated then this will limit the efficency of the liver to do its work--things to get the bowels moving like magnesium as a supplement- even the RDA dose on its own works well and won't inhibit labor- or someone due we may recommend castor oil- even if it doesn't start labor it will empty the bowel and other things tend to improve as well-
epsiom salt soaks will help with the swelling and your joints and muscles feel better for it -- are you drinking enough fluids? taking B vitamins? eating well ?
other ideas would be to get some accpuncture or a moxa treatment
milk thistle to support the liver another way
but I will say again to get the labs done ASAP
#10 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 08:14 PM

Ohhhh, I am so sorry you're having to deal with this. High blood pressure in itself I wouldn't necessarily worry about, but with your symptoms I would -- it sounds like you are really sick. If it were me I'd be getting some medical care ASAP.
#11 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 08:27 PM

I'd try the castor oil again- at a little higher dose. And the cohoshes. I'm one that tends to avoid that suggestion, but I think in your case it's needed. Also, drink a lot of water and if you can get it, try eating watermellon- it's a natural diuretic and would help you get rid of some of the fluid.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

-Angela
#12 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 08:48 PM

Also nip stim..that often will cause pretty strong ctx if you are ready. I agree 100% with mwherbs, get the labs done, get hydrated, and how much protien are you eating? You should be getting a minimum of 50 g a day...
#13 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

I did go to walgreens today and found some protein test strips. It came out negative, so that's good. Plus my bp has been keeping fairly level. I did try very high doses of castor oil and cohosh the first time around (the higest doses I've seen anyone reccomend being safe to take) and then it really didn't do anything at ALL. I have a slow labor going on right now that has been consistant, just very slow in the going. So mabye she has decided to come out on her own already. I guess I know my answer though, the fact that I had to ask tells me that I really don't have to go in. I still feel safe being at home. If I felt like alarms were going off that I had to get to the hospital, I wouldn't have bothered asking. Thanks to everyone who responded.
#14 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 11:10 PM

Hey mama! I was wondering if your little one is breech?

I know my little breechling took a veeerrrry long time to get settled into labor. Labor putted along for a while.

I'm cheering for you, mama!! I can't wait to hear the birth story!
#15 of 136 Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 PM

Thinkin of you mama! Hope everything is going smoothly. Come on baby! Mama wants you NOW!

Sending gentle labor/birthing vibes right your way!!

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#16 of 136 Old 11-05-2005, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the good vibes! Nope, she's not breech, she's head down and fully engaged, but full posterior so that my be slowing things down a bit. (and making for some painful back labor!) Hopefully things will pick up more soon. I can get really strong contractions about 1-2 min apart while doing acupressure, but I really don't want to sit there for hours with hubby pressing on my feet! So we do it off and on, just encouraging everything to keep going.
#17 of 136 Old 11-05-2005, 02:01 AM

good to hear you are doing well- and that the dip stick is good... other things we do for bp incase this continues after birth for a few days- hawthorn tincture or decoction for the non-tincture inclined
also things like passion flower, hops, chamomile
for birth- avoid the count to ten pushing-- and really consider a tub birth- the water not only helps swelling but also helps with bp

take care,
#18 of 136 Old 11-05-2005, 02:17 AM

Also getting on hands and knees will help turn the baby to anterior...
#19 of 136 Old 11-05-2005, 02:24 AM

Go to the spinning babies page and do the "butt up" exercise. It turned my baby late in my pregnancy. When I stood up she settled better and put more pressure on me and birth came soon after. Good luck!!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#20 of 136 Old 11-05-2005, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks all for the tips. I have been taking hawthorne since the bp issues started, it think thats what helped to regulate it some. I have tried different postions to try to get her to turn, but she just won't. She's been head down and posterior since day 1. The tech at my 20 week u/s was getting frusterated because she couldn't get measurements of her head since she was already jammed down into my cervix and facing the wrong way of course . We already have a tub for labor, but I don't think I want to give birth in it. We'll see. Contractions are still comming now, 3 days in a row, but not really picking up much, just staying consistant. Oh well, at least it's something.
#21 of 136 Old 11-05-2005, 10:24 PM

Poor calcium can cause labor to be ineffective. Try taking some extra calcium. I just had my baby last weekend. He was two days shy of being 42 weeks. I did a deep squat and stripped my membranes. I know that most people here would object but when your desperate... LOL

Also when did you try the castor oil and cohosh? All of my 8 babies have been 2+ weeks overdue and some of them I've tried castor oil mulitple times without success until they were ready. Maybe you weren't ready? How did you take it? Try taking it in the early evening. Also you can take blue cohosh 15 drops every hour during the day before you take the castor oil. That worked for me with a couple of babies.

Good luck!
#22 of 136 Old 11-06-2005, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think that there is ANY way i could be deficient in calcium, the only thing I drink is milk and water. I literally drink a gallon of milk a day (I really need to put a cow in my back yard! ) Even as a kid I drank lots of milk and haven't broken any bones despite nasty falls off of horses and since I've been pregnant I've been drinking at least twice as much as I did before. I took the castor oil and cohosh at the beginning of this week. I guess I could try it again, but I took A LOT of both and the castor oil didn't even make me sick. I am very non responsive to drugs of any kind. I took the castor oil just straight (i tried first by mixing it with juice, but that made me really sick, it was easier just to swallow the oil alone) I took both black and blue cohosh as a tincture late afternoon. I was definatly ready, my due dates are anywhere between the 11th -the 25th of October, so by any date I'm overdue. I dunno, she's just stubbon. I'll go get the acupuncture done again on monday and after that try the castor oil and cohosh again to get these contractions going more.
#23 of 136 Old 11-06-2005, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

and WOW! Congratulations on #8! I don't think I could handle this 8 times! You're a stong woman!
#24 of 136 Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 PM

Please reconsider about the castor oil and blue cohosh. http://currantsandspice.fateback.com/induction.html You might not be responsive to it but your baby very well may be. And if you are not in any current danger, why the push to induce? It sounds like your body is taking care of it, even if slowly. (Sometimes there's a very good reason for labor to progress slowly.)

That's fantastic that you are feeling so much better though! What a turn-around! Interesting about the hawthorne, I didn't know that. Something else I also forgot, is that EFAs (essential fatty acids, like fish oil) lower blood pressure significantly.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but no matter how much milk you're drinking you could still be deficient in calcium! It's just not absorbed well when gotten from that source. My mom is a good case in point -- she's drank huge amounts of milk all her life, but is now on medication for loss of bone density. :/
#25 of 136 Old 11-07-2005, 01:45 PM

Have you tried Magnesium? Thats what they put you on in the hospital for Hi BP you can take an extra 200mcg(?) with you prenatal. I hope you go soon!

Elizabeth
#26 of 136 Old 11-07-2005, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

I did research castor oil and cohosh for weeks before I took it, and I really didn't see any evidence not to take it. (the one reported case of heart failure after taking cohosh is not actually beleived to be linked to the cohosh, according to the Dr that actually delivered that baby). I'm not sure if I will take it again, but I don't feel that it is entirely risky if used to induce labor (for other reasons, yes). I really should get the baby out sooner rather than later because even though my bp has stabilized, it's still higher than normal and so the risk to me and my baby is increased. Also, it's a possiblity that your mom is genetically prone to bone loss despite the milk she drank. Not that I know if this is the case or not, but it's a possiblity. I actually get too much calcium, proven by the kidney stones I had when I was 16. The only times you ever hear of someone who's young getting kidney stones is almost always because of too much calcium over a long period of time. I probably should eat more fish though, I used to love it, me and my dad always went fishing together and brought home some pretty good fish (the stuff you get out of a river is soo much better than anything you get in a store) but since I've been pregnant I don't have a tolerance for store bought fish anymore (my husband laughs when I say that the fish is too fishy, but really thats true, fresh fish neither smells nor tastes "fishy"). LOL the only way I can get some good fish would be to hit the river, and yeah I live on a river and there is NO WAY I will ever eat fish out of it. Within a 30 mile stretch of the river there are 3 nuclear plants, electric company, and many many feilds with all their pesticides. You know the simpson's episode where Bart catches a 3 eyed fish? Yeah that's our river. (also interesting to note, I knew several young girls in Jr high and high school that all died of brain tumors. apparently my area has the higest rates of severe childhood cancers in the country because of the high levels of toxicity. We are moving as soon as this baby comes out ) Hawthorne is supposed to do all sorts of wonderful things for your heart as well. It's funny that it can both raise low blood pressure and lower high blood pressure at the same time. Lots of people take it to help keep their hearts healhy. Thanks p1gg1e, I hope I go soon too! (mabye some Indian for dinner after my acupuncture..)
#27 of 136 Old 11-07-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey228
(mabye some Indian for dinner after my acupuncture..)
That's exactly what did it for me, lol!

p.s. Message to babybailey: Mama-milk.... mmmmmmm! Come & get it!

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#28 of 136 Old 11-07-2005, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey228
I used to love it, me and my dad always went fishing together and brought home some pretty good fish (the stuff you get out of a river is soo much better than anything you get in a store) but since I've been pregnant I don't have a tolerance for store bought fish anymore (my husband laughs when I say that the fish is too fishy, but really thats true, fresh fish neither smells nor tastes "fishy").
my dad's a fisherman for a living on Guam and I too cannot tolerate store bought fish. Sucks, because I don't trust the fresh fish around here either. ANd I LOOOVE fish (fresh of course )

oh, and I have a message for babybailey too: stop being a stubborn scorpio!

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#29 of 136 Old 11-07-2005, 07:22 PM

"the only way I can get some good fish would be to hit the river, and yeah I live on a river and there is NO WAY I will ever eat fish out of it."

That's why I take the capsules.
#30 of 136 Old 11-07-2005, 07:33 PM

I don't have any advice that you have not already been offered, but I just HAVE to tell you that I truly admire and your absolute confidence in birth especially not having done it before! That just excited me so much, you have done so much research and just all of it, it is so wonderful!!

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page