What are the bare essentials? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-08-2005, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK. I will try to keep this short...I am about 33 weeks pregow/my 2nd. My 18 mo. old was born via section. I had planned a natural birth in a center w/ MW's, but got kicked out b/c I got too big. Went into labor, stalled out, M/W broke waters "accidentaly" while checking me, went to hospital & ran out of time (so they say). I am planning a VBAC in a hospital w/ M/w this time. BUT, I have been reading all these books on VBAC & my brain has been churning w/the idea of "not making it to the hospital" & having the baby at home" I really have full confidence that God did not give me a broken body. I really feel empowered to have a UC. While I have been working through any fears/issues I have w/ having a section, I have lost the fear of needing to be supported, much less being in a hospital. I wanted to know what are the bare essentials to have around (like chux pads, cutting the cord???). I am not sharing any of this w/DH b/c I don't think he would agree (he leans toward the medical side of things). He already knows I want to labor at home as long a possible, and I was teasing him that I was going to drink the consentrated dose of RRL tea so he would have to deliver the baby at home (to prove that natural methods to work). He actually was asking questions about how to cut the cord & thinking about it. Also, I am RH- & don't get Rogam during pregnancy, but was planning on it if baby was possitive. Anyone have experience w/this? Also, I have herpes & although I never have outbreaks (am will be taking Lysine closer to birth time), I am concerned about the lack of eye ointment b/c isn't that supposed to be so the baby won't contract any STDs? Althought I am confident in the process, I am fearful that I will be talked into going to the hospital after the baby is born & what people are going to say (esp. family!!) if we don't take baby to hospital & get checked out. I'm very serious about this and after reading on this board for a few hours, thought I would ask you all for your wisdom. Sorry this is so long.

Rachel

Rachel~wife to Keith since 5/01~mother to Georgia since 4/04~Bishop since 1/06~Zoe since 11/07 (my HBA2C!)~EDD 2/14/10 w/Baby surprise #4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-08-2005, 08:10 PM

the eye ointment isn't for herpes, it's for gonerrea and chlamydia (those are probably both spelled wrong) I would say the absolute bare essentials would be towels and something to tye the cord.... You can use a sterilized shoe lace and sterlize some scissors to cut it. Chux are nice and help with clean up. I think Depends makes some you can buy at many walmarts...

Good luck on your VBAC
#3 of 9 Old 11-08-2005, 11:26 PM

for easy clean up I would suggest an old shower curtain (one of those plastic liner things) and an old sheet on top of that. (if you don't have either of these you could use already, you can get them for a few bucks each if you just go for the basics of both). That way you can just wrap it all up and thow it away. and yeah like PP said, you'll need something to tie and cut the cord.
#4 of 9 Old 11-08-2005, 11:43 PM

I would say the bare essential is you. It's not necessary to have extra towels or chux pads, especially if you labor and birth in your tub (mess goes down the drain), or anything to tie and cut the cord (you can leave the placenta attached until it falls off by itself), but they are probably good things to have around. Also, like someone else said, something plastic to cover the mattress and some old sheets over top in case you are on your bed for the birth. We are tentatively planning a waterbirth, and bought an inflatable pool online for $17.95- we still need to get a hose and faucet adaptor to fill it.
I'm also 33 weeks (due Dec. 26), BTW!
#5 of 9 Old 11-09-2005, 01:32 AM

ITA with what PP said. I would still have at least 2 towels handy, and boil a pair of scissors for 10 min and get them out of the water and let them cool down, and a couple of unused shoelaces. The first shoelace goes about 2" away from the baby's belly, and the other one goes about 2" out from that(toward the placenta. Tie it tight, then cut between the ties....stay loose, and in the water, you will probably go much faster...when the ctx are about 2-3 min apart and 60-90 seconds long, you would probably be about 6-7 cm, so transition would not be far behind...just something there to guide you. Go with your instinct. It is extremely hard to get a VBAC in hospital now....
#6 of 9 Old 11-09-2005, 02:22 AM

Might it not be important to also be prepared to birth out of water? I realize it has a lot benefits, and will have a tub handy for when I birth, but I'd hesitate to not be prepared to birth on land too. Can't water sometimes slow things down a bit too much? I'd think that for a UBAC a very long labor might not be an ideal situation.
#7 of 9 Old 11-09-2005, 10:38 PM

I can really relate to your situation. My dd had a mismanaged homebirth w/midwife the first go- around, and ended up with a section. She decided that her next would Definitely be born VBAC, but could find noone to deliver her, all the way from home midwives, to CNM at the hosp., to Drs. She decided to put her trust wholly in the LORD who creates all life, and brings it forth from the womb. My granddaughter was born UC in my home with only myself, her dh and the Good LORD attending. WE ARE BLESSED!!
My short list?? Prayer/ Trust in Him. HE IS WORTHY TO BE PRAISED!
Practical stuff?? We don't birth in tubs or on beds, as one is too hard and the other too soft! (yes, just call me Goldilocks!)
I personally make a nest on the floor with pillows for eack knee, clean blankets and towels over that, then the bedpads (chux) to easily clean up messes. They are not neccesary, but nice to have- also large garbage bags to put all the mess in. (I don't like the plastic tarp idea... I just hate plastic.
I always have a bottle of peroxide on hand so that I do not have to worry if any mess gets on the carpet or blankets. (somehow it always does, a bit) The peroxide gets it all out, then just launder towels, etc. in **cold.** I learned Not to birth on my best sleeping bag (the hard way!) as noone took it to the laundrymat within a decent time frame, so I threw it out. Use smaller blankets that can be washed at home.
We use betadine to wash mom off before and after, (a sqeeze bottle with diluted betadine in it is good for afterwards to keep infection at bay, unless you have something herbal?) I just keep it in the bathroom, and use it for about a week. It helps the pain of any tears to squirt it on warm When you pee.
For the cord? Yarn or shoelace works fine for that, but I hear Not to use round laces, as they come undone. Make sure they are flat ones. And new.
Sharp metal scissors. I stress SHARP. The cord is much tougher than you would think. Boil first. Put betadine on cord.
Clean towels to hold baby in at first, before cleaning him off.
Make sure you have baby's clothes all ready and laid out. Try to make it simple, but very warm. And diapers. Remember a hat. VERY important. Baby needs to wear hat 2-3 days. Yes, indoors.
I can't think of a whole lot else....OH!! maxi pads.
A suction bulb to clean baby's nose/ mouth... a thermometer.... If this is too much to think of, you may still have time to order a birth kit. They are around $50. or so. (I don't get one, as I don't use half the stuff in there. ) You can try www.birthsupplies.com/catalog.
If you want to get Dad a book, I've had reccommended to me a book called "Emergency Childbirth" by Gregory White, M.D..... I haven't seen it yet, though, so ask around to see what others might think.
Juice/ snacks for you during labor.... a birthday cake for after... I can sit here all night typing! I really don't think I have a short list!! I'm sorry!! I hope this help and doesn't boggle you with too much info! Good luck, sweetie!!
#8 of 9 Old 11-10-2005, 02:16 AM

You might not need to cut the cord if you wait long enough after the baby is born. Not necessarily lotus birth, just waiting until all the pulsing has completely stopped and the belly button sphincter closes on its own.

Cutting the cord too early can cause problems
#9 of 9 Old 11-10-2005, 08:07 PM

don't forget a camera!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page