would you get an ultrasound? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-14-2005, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I wanted others' thoughts on this. If anyone out there has had a UC after c-section, please also reply with your two cents, as this is my situation...

I am planning a UC and am due in Feb. or March (not sure on my dates). My first child was a botched homebirth which landed me in the hospital for a c-section. Because there is a *chance* that the placenta can grow over the scar site in women who've had a c/s, it was recently recommended to me by a midwife whom I met at a homebirth support group that I consider having an ultrasound late in the game -- in the last 5-8 weeks, say -- to determine the location of the placenta, just so I know for sure that it won't cause a problem during the birth.

There is a place I could probably go and request an u/s for this purpose sometime in late January or so; I'd have to pay out of pocket (eeesh) b/c we have an HMO.

On the one hand, I wouldn't mind the reassurance of knowing the placenta had not grown in a precarious spot. I am not interested in knowing the gender and have avoided u/s altogether this time around (had one u/s prior to 10 weeks gestation with dd, to "nail down the due date" for a midwife). I don't want to do anything unnecessary but I wonder if my situation poses extenuating circumstances that would make a late-term u/s a relevant choice?

Anyone with thoughts and/or experiences with this?

Thanks!

Claire
SAHM to abc, born 03/03/03
#2 of 7 Old 11-14-2005, 04:43 PM

I've never heard that before! my dd had a UBAC this past year with no problem. Trust in the LORD with all thy heart and lean not on thy own understanding!
#3 of 7 Old 11-14-2005, 09:44 PM

How would your actions and decisions change depending on the information you received from an u/s?

Are you going to be more prepared to handle situation X at home? If so, don't bother with the u/s, just prepare for situation X.

Are you going to reconsider homebirth because you don't feel you can handle situation Y?
Get the u/s, so you can hopefully eliminate situation Y as a possibility or, worst case, have more time to fully consider your options and find a decent practitioner.

If the placenta *is* poorly posistioned, what would you do? That's the real question to ask.
#4 of 7 Old 11-14-2005, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
How would your actions and decisions change depending on the information you received from an u/s?

Are you going to be more prepared to handle situation X at home? If so, don't bother with the u/s, just prepare for situation X.

Are you going to reconsider homebirth because you don't feel you can handle situation Y?
Get the u/s, so you can hopefully eliminate situation Y as a possibility or, worst case, have more time to fully consider your options and find a decent practitioner.

If the placenta *is* poorly posistioned, what would you do? That's the real question to ask.

yeah, THAT!
#5 of 7 Old 11-14-2005, 11:33 PM

: to the line of questioning above. How will an u/s change anything? FWIW, there is merit to what is being said. Placenta is more likely to be an acreta/percreta after c/s and those are very uncool things. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (7), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)
#6 of 7 Old 11-15-2005, 09:19 PM

Intuition is a wonderful thing. I knew where my placenta was by the third trimester; it was a sort of unmoving lump.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#7 of 7 Old 11-16-2005, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm also planning a UBAC, and have wondered the same thing. From what I understand, placenta previa causes bleeding in the last trimester, so if I had some bleeding, I'd go for the U/S. And placenta accreta would cause postpartum hemorrhage and the placenta wouldn't come out, so I'd transfer to the hospital or call 911 (depending on the severity) if that happened. Both are rare occurrences, so I wouldn't worry about the U/S unless you feel like something's wrong (intuition rocks!) or you have some bleeding or other potential problems.

*sending happy baby/safe birth vibes your way!*

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page