silly question about the possibility of twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2005, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I've got an odd question. Anyone know how you can tell if you have one baby or two babies in there?

With my first, I don't *remember* feeling thumps on opposite sides (across) of my belly at the same time. I keep feeling that, and I wonder if it is just one baby turning around and head and feet are bumping the uterus at the same time, or if that could signify a multiple birth. Because I am not super-clear on my dates (my due date could be anywhere between early-mid February to mid-late March, based on conception possibilities), I am feeling mixed up about my size. I know I feel bigger than I did with my first (who was born in early March) at this time in the pregnancy; when I measure fundal height, the number seems somewhat irrelevant because if I am due in early Feb, then I am big for my date. If I am due in late March, then I am not, etc. KWIM?

Anyway, short of an u/s, is there any way to tell what's going on in there? I don't have a fetoscope -- should I get one and try to listen for heartbeat(s)? I have heard some people just end up hearing the placenta or an echo or something and *think* they have twins when they really don't.

I am not for or against the idea of more than one baby but I guess a part of me (the part that is scared by that idea!) wouldn't mind being prepared for such a blessing/surprise.

Not really a super-serious question, but I am curious what others think on this.

Thanks,

Claire
SAHM to abc, born 03/03/03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2005, 04:57 PM

As you get closer it might be easier to tell. My dh is a twin and my mil knew because she could SEE two distinct bumps by close to the end. Or you might not be able to tell... there are still surprise twins.

-Angela
Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 PM

u/s isn't even 100% reliable. I know people who had one, were told there was one only to have a surprise come birth time That's one reason we had an u/s, even though myDH knows it's not exact. I measure big and I could swear there are two in there sometimes. *shrug*

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (7), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)
Old 11-14-2005, 05:30 PM

I've had two babies now, currently growing my third, and I've never been able to tell a butt from a head. When I read about those mamas who can, I waffle back and forth between being in awe, and thinking they are just fooling themselves.

I was sure my second had two heads and was transverse all the way until labor started. Heck, I thought I could feel a head coming out of my side WHEN HE WAS CROWNING!!

I wouldn't get an ultrasound just to check for twins. How would your UC plans change if you found out you were having twins? What about the pressure you would receive from the medical community since you would automatically be classified as "high risk"

For me, I would rather be surprised during labor. That way, I wouldn't spend months worrying for no good reason. I think the risk during twin birth isn't as great as it is often made out to be. And I also believe that instinct takes over when you find yourself in a surprise situation like that, and I am much more comfortable with letting that instinct take over then planning every possiblity. It jives better with my spiritual perspective.

As far as how big you feel, I'm sure you've heard it tons of times by now, but every time is different. I was seven months along before I even looked slightly pregnant with my first. I could feel my second distinctly kicking from 14 weeks on, and with this one I didn't have even the slightest "baby bump" belly until 16 weeks, and since then (now 19weeks) everyday I wake up and and am like "WOW!" I've grown so much.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. =)

Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 PM

: What she said... I would get ahold of a copy of Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble...in it she has a chapter on how to tell. And then they sometimes still get missed. But a mw is less likely to miss it, cuz they are more careful....
Old 11-15-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat
I've had two babies now, currently growing my third, and I've never been able to tell a butt from a head. When I read about those mamas who can, I waffle back and forth between being in awe, and thinking they are just fooling themselves.
Hey! I can tell butts from heads On myself. I haen't done it much with other people, I should try more often.

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (7), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)
Old 11-15-2005, 10:16 PM

This is what was recommended here some time ago: put a hand on either side of your belly. Thump one side gently. If you feel a little "thrill" on the other side...a little wiggle, really, and it can feel like it's going over the skin instead of through your belly...most likely it's just one.

And trust me, one baby can indeed hit you on both sides of your belly at once. I'm not sure if it was a trick of positioning or what, but Esther smacked both sides of my stomach quite frequently when I was pregnant with her. It drove me nuts because it made me fear she was transverse (I was obviously not big enough to be carrying two; though some twin mamas remain small, most of them get huge in the second tri, from what I've been seeing).

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 11-16-2005, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, everybody! I am fine with being surprised, in a way; though it would also be a mind-stunning surprise! :-) I would never get an u/s just to make the determination of a single or multiple birth, but had been considering an u/s to see where the placenta is toward the end, just to make sure it isn't growing over the scar. I am not sure what I'll do...still mulling it over. I'm doing my own prenatal care this time around.

I tried the "flick your belly" method and thought I felt something on the other side but then the baby was moving at the same time (probably wondering why he/she was being flicked) so I don't know what I felt! :-)

Claire
Old 11-16-2005, 04:58 PM

Just checking in on Bailey228 and saw this -- I wanted to add that there is some value in knowing if you *are* carrying twins, as there are things you can change about your diet (i.e. eating LOTS of protein) that will help your babes grow stronger and not come too early. Check out Dr. Barbara Luke's "Having Twins, Triplets and Quads"(or something like that) -- her diet is credited by many mamas of multiples as helping to carry past 37 weeks (and 40 in some cases).
Old 11-16-2005, 05:23 PM

Having given birth to twins I would definitely not want to be surprised by twins.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:28 AM

Quote:
I tried the "flick your belly" method and thought I felt something on the other side but then the baby was moving at the same time
Yeah, the first few times I tried it I got the living daylights kicked out of me.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 11-20-2005, 02:33 AM

Hi! If you are having twins you would want to do a few things differently as early in pregnancy as possible (you need more protein and fat and calories). Doing a few simple changes can make all the difference in how long you go and the weights of the babies. Dr. Barbara Luke has a great book about those things. For that reason alone, I would want to know.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

User Tag List