"high risk" vbac uc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-20-2005, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I have been lurking a little on this forum because i find the idea of UC so very intriguing. A little about myself... i prepared for a natural hospital birth but my daughter was breech so i had to have a section. Blech! My second i was planning a homebirth with a lay midwife with concurrent care with an OB a couple of times during my pregnancy in case i needed back-up. Well, i saw the OB that does back-up for my mw and he was cool with the homebirth. I did blood tests and found out that i carry an antibody (anti-kell) that could harm my baby should he or she carry the kell antigen. Loooooong story short, my son was kell positive, so i was "high risk" and had a sono every week to rule out anemia. My bub, miraculously, was not being affected so i was planning on vbacing in the hospital with my doctor and the mw, who would be acting as my doula. At my 40 wk appt, i had very low fluid. I had another section. It was awful. I was devatstated and suffered from ppd. I hate that my little boy was born in an operating room, and that i didn't get to give birth to him....

My husband and i want a big family, but i just can't see myself having another section. In my ideal situation, i would find out if the baby is carrying the antigen and if he isn't i would go unassisted. I loooove the idea of uc, but the mainstream has been soooo pounded into me, i feel like i have very little instinct left. And isn't that what makes a uc? Instinct? How do i get rid of all that extraneous noise of other people out of my head?

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-20-2005, 11:44 AM

Could you start care that is within your comfort level and work from there to find your groove?
#3 of 7 Old 11-20-2005, 08:38 PM

Wow that's a trip you've been on into conventional medicine. Most of it sucks, right? I'd start by learning all I could about how poorly evidenced those decisions made about your healthcare really were. Nothing like a good dose of reality to make you feel more convinced that the further away doctors are, the safer birth is! I think we all come to ourselves in different ways, and sometimes basic stuff like pros and cons lists can help. I'm sure you understand that as a VBA2C you are now "damaged goods" in the hospy system so the likelihood of you achieving anything like a normal physiological birth is pretty much nil. Spend some quiet time (with 2 kids already LOL) really conversing with your heart. Mentally put yourself in your home, labouring, with only dh and/or a friend. How does it feel? Allow yourself to go to the doubts. What doubts pop up? Are they able to be assuaged by research and evidence? Mostly they are, IME Lastly, just plan a birth. No HBAC or VBAC or UBAC - just birth! 20 years of studies has only shown VBAC to be just as safe as before your surgeries, even VBA2C. So you go for it! You have nothing to lose but fear! Try http://www.empoweredbirth.com/ for the "what ifs" section which is magical!
#4 of 7 Old 11-20-2005, 09:00 PM

Milkydoula,

I am not a UCer but I used to be, now I am really high risk. I also have an antibody, mine is anti-d, not kell, but they are monitored similarly.

I don`t think the antibody has much to do with how you choose to birth except if the baby is affected. If the baby is affected you would need to be very near a NICU for possible blood transfusions. There is also a newer treatment for babies like this, IVIG is given to the baby and these babies are leaving the hospital sooner & without transfusions.

Has your dh been tested to see if he is homozygous or heterozygous for kell? If he is hetero, then you may have a shot at having a baby that is kell negative. If you wanted to find that out, an amnio at about 20 weeks could let you know if baby is kell - or +. Then if bambino is neg, you could stay home. Or, if you do go on and have MCA ultrasounds again and baby still looks good in utero, you could be high risk prenatally, but low risk in birth. Baby could be delivered at home UC and then you could take him in for a check to see if there`s any post birth anemia and just say he accidentally was born very quickly at home. Just a thought. I know of another board of just moms with antibodies, if you want, pm me anytime. Good luck!

p.s. we also want a big family, but having a section and an antibody does kind of throw a wrench in there! I can totally relate to that.

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#5 of 7 Old 11-20-2005, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liseux~

Oh, it is so nice to have someone know what i am talking about! Even some of the docs/nurses in the hospital didn't know what kell was, i had to explain it to them. They were like, "wait, you have antibodies, but it is not rh?" Frustrating! Hubby is hetero, so there is a fifty/fifty chance that our next babe will not have it. I cling to that. It makes me happy that if the baby is being affected there are things that can give him or her a better shot, but i hate being treated like a bomb waiting to explode if things are going fine. I feel peace when i think about finding out if the babe is kell positive and going from there. That seems to make a lot of sense to me. My little boy wasn't affected for whatever reason by the antibodies and that gives me hope too, for the next one.

Janet, thank you for all the things to ponder. It is hard to sit with some of my doubts. I guess that is my whole issue, being able to sit with the doubts and work through them. My last pregnancy, i was just trying to get the best of both worlds, a homebirth and concurrent care from a physician, it just went all awry. I felt like i put together a really good birth team, the best i could find in this area, and that i could really trust them. Hindsight is 20/20, and i realize that they are human and have fears and i allowed myself to be pulled into and assimilate their fears, even though i knew that if i birthed my baby, it would have been fine. My midwife/doula never followed up with me, even though i tried to contact her a couple of times, so i never got that closure and ability to process my experience with her. I don't know if she really understood that i needed that time to process it with her. That is why i feel so doubtful about having an assisted homebirth.

I am just rambling now. Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses!

ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#6 of 7 Old 11-27-2005, 02:51 AM

Big hugs, Erin!!! On some level, I know what you mean. I had a section for my dd that was totally unnecessary. Then I planned an HBAc for my son, saw a lay midwife, no OB care at all, planned a water birth, etc...I labored at home for several days, start and stop labor that would not progress, ended up making a bad decision to go to the hospital, and...had my son via a c-section - 5 days after regular contraction started and my water had first ruptured. I'm still not sure exactly what happened there a year later.

Anyway, I feel ya - cause I too would like another baby or two, but I just cannot go thru another section, physically and emotionally. If I ever decide to get pregnant again, I think a UC is the only way for me to go. After doing some honest soul-searching, I don't think I was entirely comfortable with the people I was with in labor, and there were some things that were being said to me in labor that had a profound impact on me emotionally....I digress...but my point is this:

The only way I can picture laboring *productively* (which I have yet to really be able to do, with the first labor I got to 4cm, and with my second, it took nearly 5 days to get to 6cm) is alone. But I cannot imagine having the inner strength and self-assuredness to do that, as much as I want to.

For me, I have decided that I am not going to have any more children for awhile. Maybe I will revisit the notion down the road when I have grown and matured more as an individual. Perhaps I will FIND the strength to birth naturally, and alone, strength I don't currently have. That is my hope, anyway.

Big hugs.
#7 of 7 Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies, so much for your thoughts and things to consider. I don't think that right now UC is for me. I have thought a lot about it, and i just have too many issues to do it by myself. I am hoping that perhaps i can find another midwife that will take me. I feel very conflicted about the whole thing. I guess i have a while to ponder it though, i am not even pregnant yet

I really like this forum though and will continue to read and find inspiration and energy from your experiences!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page