Anyone have a UC waterbirth and catch their own baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-25-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there I am really new here this I am sure is my first post. I am mommy to 3 wonderful kids 3,18months and 4 1/2 months. I have had 3 waterbirths at home with midwives. 1st midwife caught, 2nd daddy caught and 3rd I caught with the help of my midwife. For the next baby we are going to UC to preserve the atmospher and holyness of the moment of birth and time afterwards. My question is this, has anyone ever had a UC waterbirth and caught by themselves. I want DH to be there and he wouldn't miss it for the world but I want to be the one to deliver the baby. Also I have torn with ever birth even though I was in the water each time I have needed stiches not many and I did have to option to just heal on my own if I could stay in bed for a few days. So what do you do if you tear?

Thanks so much for any help, I am already getting excited and I am not even pregnant yet.
Robbie-Lynn
#2 of 11 Old 11-25-2005, 11:20 PM

Yes. My 2nd son (1st UC) was born in the water and I caught him one-handed while holding onto my husband's neck w/the other hand. I really wish I had this on film, b/c I have no idea how it happened. One moment, I'm pushing out the baby, all of a sudden, I'm holding a crying baby out of the water

His birth story is here.

As far as tears, I'm really no help, as I've never gotten any. I read somewhere that if your body is not getting enough oils though, it can make you more prone to tears as your skin is not elastic enough. I would think lots of water, and lots of good oils--olive, coconut, cod liver and flax would do the job.

hth
Amy
#3 of 11 Old 11-26-2005, 05:48 AM

our planned UC wasn't- the midwife showed up not long before i delivered!..
but she was born in the water and i caugth her myself..
if you follow the ling in my siggy we have pictures from her birth.
#4 of 11 Old 11-26-2005, 10:50 AM

My first UC was 2 1/2 yrs ago and I caught my son in the water ... if you can call it 'catching' ... he sort of shot out into the water and I pulled him out!

When his head was born, my husband said, "you tore" because he saw blood fill the water ... I could never figure out whether it was a tear or just a skid mark ... it burned a little when I urinated but that stopped by the next day. I tried to keep my legs and knees together as much as possible for the next few days and it healed on it's own. Dh says it all looks exactly the same down there so I guess it's fine!
#5 of 11 Old 11-26-2005, 11:31 AM

My ds was born UC almost 2 yrs ago. It was a beautiful water birth and I would have caught him myself if dh hadn't been so determined. I was a little dissappointed because he got to catch dd too. I hope it works out for you.
#6 of 11 Old 11-26-2005, 02:01 PM

hi!
i caught my first in the water with nobody else's hands in any way involved.
happy baby making!
#7 of 11 Old 11-26-2005, 04:06 PM

My last birth was a UC waterbirth (this one will be too).
I caught my son in the water. It was absolutely amazing catching him myself, with no one interfering or telling me what to do! I did have a pretty bad tear, I let it heal itself.

Rachel ~ homeschooling mama to six.
#8 of 11 Old 11-30-2005, 04:49 AM

Q -- i figured you'd reply Your little pregnancy test thing gave me quite a startle, by the way!!

Hawkfeather -- I have read your birth story a half dozen times and love it ever more each time Ido! I love the pictures and the story itself. Beautiful!!

Namaste, Tara
#9 of 11 Old 11-30-2005, 04:57 AM
Lou

My homebirth wasn't UC... but my midwife was really excellent and completely hands off! So yes, I caught my babe. Couldn't imagine it any other way since it was just me and babe in the tub- completely in our own world. Dh was there, dd was watching too... but we were really laboring intensely, really in a great groove, and babe just came right out into my hands. Seriously, I couldn't imagine anyone else putting their hands and their energy there at the moment of birth. I really respect unassisted birthing. but, I loved my midwife- who really allowed me to OWN my birth.
#10 of 11 Old 11-30-2005, 02:19 PM

Both of my kids were born UC. I planned a water birth for the first, but just didn't feel lik eit when the time came. Dh caught ds because of the position I was in, and immediately handed ds to me. With dd, I was in a different position and scooped her into my arms myself.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#11 of 11 Old 12-03-2005, 07:40 PM

My daughter was born in October by unassisted water birth. I was on my knees and although we had intended for my husband to catch, it just seemed right to guide her into the world myself. (hubby was otherwise occupied being my support) It was perfect and I can't imagine her having come into the world any other way. I didn't tear at all, mostly because, I think, I didn't push more than a few times at most. I was in denial that she was even being born yet (lol) and it was my first vaginal birth, so I wasn't prepared for the strange feeling of vulnerability that came with her descending the birth canal.

Here's my birth story:

http://jennifersbirthjourney.blogspo...-my-story.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page