Birth Certififcate in Texas - Mothering Forums
Unassisted Childbirth > Birth Certififcate in Texas
mykidsrock's Avatar mykidsrock 10:24 PM 12-04-2005
Hi, I just moved to Texas and I was wondering if anyone knows about aquiring a birth certificate here. I read that some states have certain requirements pertaining to ped. visits and mandating a PKU test. I'd like to avoid those things, so I was wondering if anyone has experience with an unassisted birth in Texas . . . What did you do?
Thanks

sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 01:26 AM 12-05-2005
Call up your local records office and ask them what the procedure is and how you can get a copy of the forms. I suspect that many of the "requirements" are actually just statistical information, that is, they don't care if you got vit K or whatever, they just want to know how many babies in the state got vit k.

Unfortunately, I've yet to find an online way to do this. I could get you forms to request *copies* of birth certificates in any of the 50 states, but not to get new ones.

ETA: It looks like the Texas Department of Health handles issuing the first certificate. So perhaps start with them.
alegna's Avatar alegna 04:14 AM 12-05-2005
I think TX is pretty easy. My midwife did it for me, but we declined PKU and my dd has never seen a dr....

If you don't have a lot of luck figuring it out, pm me and I can give you my midwife's name- she'll be able to tell you how to do it. She's a big UC supporter- had all her babies UC including twins

-Angela
mykidsrock's Avatar mykidsrock 12:14 PM 12-08-2005
Thank you!
Now I just need to have this baby . . haha
If I do have any more questions, or any problems, I'll be back!!
Up