Maybe future births will be UC??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-06-2005, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I gave birth over 6 weeks ago to my beautiful 2nd dd at home and have never ventured into this forum. But i have been mulling over my dd's birth in my head and am wondering if the key to it all is that future births should be UC for me. You can read through my birthstory in my signature, but i'll give a brief so my questions make sense.

I had 12 hours of labor & delivered dd posterior (and a hand next to her cheek). My labor would stall from time to time. I thought it stalled because the back labor but now im wondering if it was because i felt watched? The excruciating pain of labor didnt hit til transistion and even then it wasnt right away. It didnt hit until the mw's all came in and started setting stuff up for the birth (the tub and all that). Well i went through a few hours of transistion and they tried to help at my plea with getting me to progress. But the back labor was truely horrific and i believed that was what was taking so long. But as soon as they left the room and my brain took that in, i was pushing this posterior child out in one push!

So my question is this: While i am not comfortable with having no one there to sew me up afterwards and what not should need be, would an UC be more suitable for me? Was this birth telling my heart that i needed to do it alone (in all other aspects of my life i have always been very independent and self sufficient except for my dh whom i rely on for everything)? Did i have an UC birth? Have any of you had UC births where there are mw's in attendence who wait at the ready only for afterwards? What exactly is the definition of UC?

Thank you for what must seem like stupid questions. But right after i gave birth i swore i would never have another child for fear of another posterior birth and those hours of transition. But my heart says there is another soul waiting to be added to this family one day and it breaks my heart to think we are done growing. And i will never go back to a hossy, so i need to entertain the thought that maybe i need an UC!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#2 of 6 Old 12-07-2005, 06:51 PM

Since it's been awhile, I'll take a stab at answering this.

The question is, what are you concerned will happen and how would you handle it?

For instance, if you're worried about tearing, you could read up on positions that reduce tears, get a birth pool to labor in the water, let your body push on it's own rather than actively pushing.

Check out the stickies at the top of this board. There are some great resources, including a number of books that might help you get your mind around what you are really wanting out of birth.

Oh yes, and congratulations on your new daughter!
#3 of 6 Old 12-08-2005, 06:32 PM

I think the term "unassisted birth" is generally used not to literally mean that the laboring woman has no assistance, i.e. no help or support of any kind, but that there is no professional birth attendant present. The definition is not obvious, so to me it's not a very useful term, but it's become convention to use it.

Personally, the words that are more useful to me are "unhindered", "spontaneous", "instinctive", etc. Ask yourself not whether your birth was unassisted, but was it made to be dysfunctional? If so, then the question becomes: what do you need to do so that it won't be next time? Probably that answer will be different for each person.
#4 of 6 Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

I hope in no means does it sound like im placing blame on my midwives because im not!!! They are wonderful women who i truly felt comfortable and loved with and by! Im just thinking out loud i suppose. Thinking that maybe im such a private person that it would be more suitable for me to labor and birth with only my dh. Something to think about.

I agree the the UC term has become overgeneralized.

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#5 of 6 Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 PM

I'm so embarassed. I mentally inserted someone else's comments into your post. Wow. I'll edit mine so it won't confuse people.

Well, at least it got your post noticed by someone with a clue, eh?
#6 of 6 Old 12-13-2005, 12:28 AM

I think that trusting your instincts is what is important.

If you think that having a UC will provide you with an ideal birthing environment, than that is what is right for you.

Congrats on your new arrivial

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page