Can you give me some thoughts about UC safety? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-06-2005, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone

I have some questions that I hope you ladies can help me with.
The story is this:
I have up untill now been quite sceptic about UC. Mainly because I think it is better to have a midwife around that you don't need than to need one you don't have!

I just gave birth to my daughter at home 4 months ago. An all natural and very fast and uncomplicated birth. I was all fine on my own and the MW didn't arrive till my daughters head was literally crowning. She helped catch my daughter and then went on to be quite controlling about the whole thing.. like here I was doing everything just fine and as soon as she stepped in the door she felt like taking over telling us what to do. I didn't know this midwife - it was someone they sent from the hospital.
I did not have a bad experience - I was just slightly annoyed that she had to rush cutting the cord and buzz us around to get towels .. I am sure we would have managed just the same..
So now I am thinking I would have done just fine without her. I plan to next time simply tell the mw who arrive to have a seat - OVER THERE - and then we will tell her if we need her assistance..
My point being that I am really opening up to the possibility of a UC or planned partly UC or whatever..

Anyway - my question is pretty much about safety. Hope noone here is offended. But I wonder if any of you have experiences where you have thought : uups - maybe I should have had a midwife here after all? Do you recon that UC is more risky? Do you just gamble and take the risk? (if it is there) Or are you sure that you have time to call for assistance if anything unexpected should happen? I am not sure whether a planned UC is naive, clever or plain dangerous? Can you help me out here?

Thanks in advance.

Inca

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#2 of 4 Old 12-07-2005, 05:38 AM

Honestly, IMO UC is safer, depending on your own situation. If you are in good heatlh, and trust that your baby is in good health, and have that inner instinct telling you things will be fine...then UC is much safer than having someone manage/attend your birth. Personally, for my next birth I will have someone to help with cleaning up afterwards, and general housework. Other than that, any midwife would have just "annoyed" me as well.

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#3 of 4 Old 12-07-2005, 06:56 AM

Well, I am of two minds on the issue. I think in more than 9 out of 10 birth, everything would be absolutely FINE. There are risks in any birth. If you have an attended birth, there is a good chance of medically caused harm, and if you have a UC, there is a risk that a complication might occur that you have trouble dealing with. My observation and firsthand experience has been that mamas and papas who are well prepared for birthing have very few problems handling minor complications, and most often when something more major comes up, they are in tune enough to realize that they need outside support and seek it before things go really wrong.

My experience, I believe is relatively unique in that I had a (imo) more serious complication during my first UC (minor shoulder dystocia). At a hospital, most likely I would have been emergency c-sectioned (opening me up to a host of risks), or my sweet babe may have suffered much more serious trauma than she did (her shoulder was injured- dislocated, I think). At home, I was able to tune in and realize something was not right and get her born as quickly as possible in the best positioning possible. I would not have been able to do that with strangers looking on. I feel that my having a UC averted a potential tragedy. We transported after, which was probably not needed, but what we felt was appropriate at the time.

Two and a half years later, after much prayer, meditation, research and months of positive affirmations, I went on to have another UC, peacefully birthing my 11+ lb son in the water. I felt that after researching the risks, my risks were statistically similar birthing UC as having an elective c-section. (I did not seriously consider a hospital vaginal birth as I felt the risks were too high when taking my birthing history into account.)

We will likely have another babe in 4-6 years. At this point, I don't know if it will be another UP and UC. I most likely will higher a trusted lay midwife due to anxiety, but it's hard to tell. I think every woman should look within herself to find what best for her and her baby. (And each pregnancy/ baby/ mama set is different, which is why I couldn't tell you if the next babe with be born UC or not.)

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#4 of 4 Old 12-08-2005, 02:28 PM

For me, UC was the only way to go to avoid MAJOR interference. The hospitals where I lived at the time had a 99% epidural rate,were still knocking women out for the birth if requested; I was 33, in perfect health, and had already had a homebirth and a hospital birth. I knew walking in those doors would risk me out of the normal birth I knew I could do, so we stayed home and did it ourselves. I would have had a shoulder distocia IF i had gone to the hospital, not to mention pit and other stuff, because my labor was longer this time, 11hrs as compared to 4 hrs and 2 hrs, respectively...so they would have tinkered with me, out of thier fear, even when nothing was wrong. So I took my time, and birthed our 8 lb 13 oz baby just fine on our own. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would have been very upset with your mw, for interfering like that, after all, you did nearly all of it yourself!! the chances of anything serious happening are very small, compared to the chances of something happening if someone else is telling YOU what to do, if you don't feel like it....go with your gut, and ITA with Laurata..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page