Disturbing conversation with doctor - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 05-16-2006, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're dilated some, you can feel things liket he wrinkles on the baby's forehead. Otherwise you can feel the baby's head, large and round, pressing against the bottom of your uterus. However, I wouldn't personally trust a doctor's judgement on this, but maybe a midwife. Way more experience.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 05-18-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2
Cara, that is just how I feel about it. "Violated" is the word I first used, and last night when talking with my husband I did use the word "rape." Maybe that is my personal hangup too, but it is simply because a vaginal exam is a major intrusion into the sanctity of my body, and now has been demanded in the presence of a threat. So I agree with you - I feel that it would be a violation of my person to agree to the cervical check under these circumstances. I'm glad you said this, and it isn't just me! I feel very strongly about it and was worried I was being unreasonable/silly (i.e., it's just a routine medical procedure, what's the big deal?).

Julia
The problem that I see coming is that he may try to strip your membranes at 38/39 weeks, basically putting you in premature labor, just to circumvent your homebirth plans. I *have*seen this happen, and it ain't pretty...don't go back. Follow your gut, and have your homebirth. Please keep us posted since this is your first baby, and prodromal(early) labor can usually take days, but is usually gentle...you are far better off at home!! What a creep this guy is! (PS, they learn how to manipulate in med school and residency....)
#33 of 34 Old 05-18-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apwannabe
How can a cervical check determine position? Don't they do that by feeling your belly?
sometimes what they want to check is the position of the baby's head(asynclintic, anterior, posterior, etc) by doing a vaginal exam and checking the suture lines(where the bony skull plates meet) on the baby's head. But it *is* rather unnecessary, as good mom postitions can help turn a posterior to anterior, and upright postions and hands and knees can get the baby to flex his head more... and yes, they do check (sometimes- as i have known docs to not do this) the baby's *body* position (palpation), but some are not very good at it. I know I goof sometimes!
#34 of 34 Old 05-19-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierratahoe
I, too, had a doc ask to check my cervix with DC#2. I never really got from him why he wanted to check; he did answer that 'sometimes it helps to get things going'.
Be warned, ladies, this sometimes means that they are going to sweep your membranes without your consent. Always check w/your OB on this before allowing anything done! Sweeping the membranes can sometimes induce labor, but if you're not ready it can also give you a severe backache for days (from Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page