Can you tell if baby is breech? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm giong UP/UC and I've been wondering this for a couple days. The thought of a breech birth doesn't bother me (ok, it doesn't completely freak me out). But, is there a way to tell before birth if baby is breech? Is there a position that is "impossible" to birth naturally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 AM

Have you looked at Ina May's Spiritual Midwifery? I think she has a serious chapter on breeches and turning them (I read it a couple of years ago, but I remember a story about her turning a breech baby).

You might look it up in there.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#3 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

No, I'm trying to avoid that particular book, I've had enough of over-involved midwives to last a lifetime
#4 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 12:27 PM

Have you looked at spinningbabies.com? It explains how to map your baby. Biggest clue for me is lot's of kicks up high means baby's is head down. The impossible position is traverse - arm presentation. Some traverse babies will turn in labor. Very rare to have a traverse baby.
#5 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

I totally forgot about the spinningbabies website... amazing what you forget about from pregnancy to pregnancy. Of course, last time I was seeing an OB and a midwife so I had someone managing my pregnancy (I hate that term) and figured if there was a problem they would let me know.

I haven't even brought the subject up to dh because i think he'd freak...he's very nervous about UC anyway and is putting a lot of faith in me to make the right choices (no pressure )

Is it possible to vaginally birth a complete breech (legs crossed?)

I'll definately have to check out that website...
#6 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 12:53 PM

I loved palpating my baby in utero. I would grab his head and feel his back. Look up leopold's manouvers and you will find instructions on feeling a baby with your hands thru your abdominal wall. Where you feel movement is also a great indicator.

Mentum posterior is supposedly impossible to deliver, although most MP presentations will rotate to be MA, which is deliverable. Mentum is chin- this is a face presentation. it's a very rare presentation that I wouldn't worry about. (1 in 250 labors are face presentations, and only 1/6th of those are persistantly posterior- so what's that 1:1500?)

I have also read/heard that it's markedly difficult, though not impossible to birth a sacrum posterior baby (breech- facing the direction the mother is facing). This is also RARE, and another which I wouldn't worry about. Generally breeches are anterior, and delivery is pretty straightforward (if you know what's normal for breech delivery)

Interestingly both of these positions fall into the category of occiput posterior. Or maybe that's only "interesting" to a dork like me.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#7 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=CryPixie83]

Is it possible to vaginally birth a complete breech (legs crossed?)

[QUOTE]

Definitly

~laura
#8 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 01:03 PM

My 3rd son was breech at 35 weeks and then he flipped. This is how I knew he was breech: I could feel his hiccups & they were high up, so I knew were his head was by his hiccups. There was way more weird pressure and kicks on & around the cervix as he would stand up & sit down. It was unmistakable. Also, when he flipped I had to drop to my knees b/c it was a shocker! It felt like he climbed the wall & then flung himself off, landing head down. He`s still a wild animal now at almost 3!

Married Catholic mami : to 5 boys, : 9 6 3 : 5 mo. 5/6/02-6/22/02 (HIE)
:
#9 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 01:11 PM

Once i was at 28-30 weeks, i could always tell what position my baby was in by feeling with my hands. Baby started out transverse, moved to head down, and spun on its head like a top anterior to posterior and back again daily. It always surprises me when women don't know the position of their babies--b/c i can't imagine *not* knowing. I would feel its head down by my pelvic bone, it's butt up high, and limbs kicking. When i was in labor, i was the first to know that the baby's head was facing transverse (3:00 in the pelvis) b/c of how i could feel his body's position.

So my advice is to start poking all over your abdomen with your hands and fingers to get to know your baby's various positions and it gets lots and lots easier the bigger they get .
#10 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 01:14 PM

I got all confused Natsuki- When you were in labor. . . and a siggy saying #1. I get it now. Time to change the sig.

How did your labor progress when it started with your little one transverse?

~laura
#11 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 04:07 PM

When your baby gets hiccups, one thing I noticed is---do you feel them above or below the belly button? If you are over 30 wks and they're below the belly button, you're probably not breech, but this is just my personal opinion and not gospel. Many times a midwife can palpitate the babe and find the butt or head, but this may not always ring true. Hearing the heartbeat through a fetoscope rather than a doppler may give you a better idea of where the head and torso are, as well. Just some ideas.
#12 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 07:05 PM

I just updated my sig .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246
How did your labor progress when it started with your little one transverse?
It progressed very, very, very slowly. It took me 36 hours to get to 6cm dilated (52 hours of labor total from when my bag of waters started leaking to when he was born). My contractions never came closer than 5ish minutes apart either. Thankfully I had a birth team who was supportive of a low-intervention birth and interventions were not even brought up until I had stalled at 6/7cm for hours with no progress in spite of hard transition-like contractions (the kind that feel like a black hole collapsing your uterus from all the pressure). At that point the midwife found that not only was his head transverse, but it was also acynclitic (those two complications almost always end in c-section for 'failure to progress'). I had known he was facing sideways for some time and had tried various things to get him to turn with no luck.

My cervix was soft and ready to dilate the rest of the way even though i was stalled--but the baby's head wouldn't come down to push me the rest of the way open. So finally after being stalled for so long they suggested we try pitocin and my cervix was so ready that i dilated the rest of the way in about and hour and a half with just a low dose. Then had 2 hours of pushing and he was born.

My little one was on the smaller side with a smaller head, so i think that helped things too. I don't know if he eventually turned on his own or if the midwife was able to turn him once i was completely dilated, but he came out correctly which was good.

Since his birth i've found several other women with similar situations to mine--our birth stories are all very similar (looooong labors, not progressing fast, stalling out for hours at some point).
#13 of 13 Old 05-05-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki
I just updated my sig .

Since his birth i've found several other women with similar situations to mine--our birth stories are all very similar (looooong labors, not progressing fast, stalling out for hours at some point).
Sorry to hijack the thread here. . .

I thought in your first post that the baby was transverse (shoulder presentation). Although you said "in the pelvis" so I should have known.

You can count me as one of the women with a similar situation. My son was OP, and asynclitic. I was at 2cm for the first 48 hours, then dialated for the next 20+hrs, and pushing was HARD. I wonder if my son's nuchal cord had something to do with his asynclitism.

~laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page