Washington State? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-05-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep hitting walls with regards to finding out how to register a UC in Washington. I've tried all the departments I thought might be relevant- vital statistics seems to be just for records of past births, not issuing new birth certificates. They suggested the board of health. The Board of health seemed to feel I had 8 heads, and informed me that they don't deal with births- I should call the department in charge of hospital regulation because they do handle births. Seemed like a stretch to me, but I called, no dice, no suggestions.

What now? Have you had success with getting a UC birth certificate in WA? Any suggestions?

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#2 of 18 Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 PM

Huh. I would have guessed the Department of Vital Statistics too. If no one here knows, I'd try the Midwives forum.
#3 of 18 Old 06-06-2006, 01:47 AM

I'm going to copy n' paste this from another site, since it is a Washington mama and I asked her the same thing. Hope this helps:

"Okay, birth certificate. I'm pretty knowledgeable about this since we had a BC issue. If you get the BC within the first 7 or 10 days after birth (can't remember which), then you are fine. All you do is send dh to the county health department, have him ask them for a BC form. MAKE SURE IT IS THIS LONG FORM WITH LOTS OF BOXES!!! This was our bad part. They gave my dh the wrong form. It was actually the form for ordering a BC (like if I wanted a copy of ***'s) but we didn't realize this, so I filled it out and sent it in. No BC ever arrived. Okay, so I call a few months later to find out what the deal is, discover they have given me the wrong form. I go pick up the right form, when I return it, they inform me that it is too late. I missed the window of opportunity for turning in that form.

So, I had to go to the state records department. Besides looking at me like I was a nutcase for having a UC, they didn't hassle me. I had to do another form, this one we had to get notorized PLUS you have to give them a letter from either your doctor (that saw you pregnant, we didn't have one) or your religious leader (who also saw you pregnant, we also didn't have one) on letterhead stating that you indeed were pregnant and did not steal the baby from someone else. If you cannot provide the letter, you must stand in front of a judge and state that you had a UC and that this child is indeed yours. Now, I'm a little CPS paranoid and didn't really want to inform a judge that I had a UC. So, I called a mw friend who had indeed seen me (socially) and saw that I was pregnant. She was willing to write a letter stating she had "seen" me.

This time around we WILL be getting the correct form. All you have to do on it is put you or your dh's name as the caregiver."

Does that help with your answer?? This mama is from the Puget Sound area, if that makes a difference.
#4 of 18 Old 06-06-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

spyiispy-

Thank you SO much.

#5 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 07:21 PM

You're welcome I thought that was pretty good info and I printed it off for future reference too.

Lisa
#6 of 18 Old 06-17-2006, 06:15 PM
XM

Yes, we really didn't have any problem getting dd's BC... the trick is to get it done before the 10-day mark. Since DH went in on day 10 w/o me, we needed to get a letter from our chiropractor (who treated me during the pregnancy, and saw Ruby when she was a day old) and send that in with it. Otherwise, we would have just needed DH's signature and mine. And yes, it is a looooong form, not a lot to actually fill out but be sure to get the long form!

The ladies at the courthouse were actually very helpful to DH. At first, they were a little confused that we were getting the BC ourselves (usually the Midwife or hospital would take care if it for you) but DH just told them that I had a fast labor and the baby arrived before the MW did, and that he caught her (and yes, you would list your DH as the person who was with you as you gave birth). One of them actually high-fived him and said, "good for you guys!"

Its true... she's 5 months now, and the midwife has yet to arrive!
#7 of 18 Old 06-17-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM
Its true... she's 5 months now, and the midwife has yet to arrive!
Well then, I think she should be fired!
#8 of 18 Old 06-22-2006, 11:08 PM
XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelhayes
Well then, I think she should be fired!
No kidding, huh?

I also wanted to add that we are in Seattle, so I'm sure the ladies down there have seen it all!
#9 of 18 Old 06-23-2006, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM
No kidding, huh?

I also wanted to add that we are in Seattle, so I'm sure the ladies down there have seen it all!
I'm in Seattle too.
I was sort of surprised at how... interventive birth still seems to be here. I mean, midwives are much, MUCH more common than in my native NY because of the laws surrounding their right to practice, but its not like I've met may mothers who seem to have even considered looking outside the hospital birth route- though hospital birth with midwife is fairly common....

Maybe I just haven't met the right folks yet....

#10 of 18 Old 06-25-2006, 11:45 PM

ERIN.........I wanted you to see this, cuz the mama I copied and pasted from earlier just had her third baby and the process was different this time. Here's what she had to do this time (several weeks ago):

"They've changed things since. First, they didn't do it through the county health department anymore, we had to go to the Department of Health for the state. They actually have this UC thing down now. They gave us a paper that listed the ways we could get a BC if we'd had a UC birth and how to fill the forms out. Easiest method was fill out the birth form and an affidavit.

Hopefully I am remembering this correctly. BC couldn't be signed by me, so dh had to sign that one. Affidavit couldn't be signed by the same person that signed the BC and it had to be signed by a family member, so I had to go get that one signed and notarized. They gave me the affidavit form. I guess my mom could have filled out the affidavit but I didn't think of it until I'd already filled it out. I wasn't happy about putting my 7 day old in the car to get it notarized, but whatever. I didn't want to stand in front of a judge later to get a BC.

Call your county health department now and check if you can do it through them. I'm not sure if we had to do it through the state because we live in the capitol or not."

Hope this helps!!

Lisa
#11 of 18 Old 06-29-2006, 11:03 PM
XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyiispy
ERIN.........I wanted you to see this, cuz the mama I copied and pasted from earlier just had her third baby and the process was different this time. Here's what she had to do this time (several weeks ago):
What I would do, is call the Dep't of Health, and ask them how you get a BC if your midwife is late and misses the birth... tell 'em your MW doesn't know because she's never missed a birth. They should be able to explain the process w/o raising any red flags on your behalf. HTH!

Just be ready to get it done quickly once the baby arrives... after 10d it becomes slightly more complicated.
#12 of 18 Old 06-29-2006, 11:27 PM
XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBird
Maybe I just haven't met the right folks yet....
I know one mama IRL who has UC'd (but I know more that have homebirthed and/or VBAC'd). For all that the area has many midwives, the protocols set by insurance companies, hospitals, and peer pressure limit the amount of options women have.

I've got some extra stuff, if you need anything... some chux, a cord clamp (we put one on a few inches out when we first cut it, and updated it shorter with hemp twine later)... I'll check what else. LMK if you're interested, and its yours.
#13 of 18 Old 08-23-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

An update... since I've been wastign time calling places for days....

To get a birth certificate for a birth taking place without an attendant-
Look up the number for the WA State Department of Vital Statistics (360.236.4300 currently). This line is mainly for ordering copies of birth, death, and marriage certifciates that have already been issued. You'll need to follow the voice prompts, press 1 for "birth certificates", press 4 for "order by phone", press 0 for "none of these options apply and I want a real person, please"

*ring, ring, ring* It seems that there aren't many people staffing this particular office (or they have a high call volume?), so the phone goes unanswered from time to time. When you do get an answer, ask for information regarding how to register a birth that will not be attended. Confirm that the birth has not happened yet- you need a *NEW* birth certificate, not a birth certificate from a past birth.

The person should refer you to a woman named Duressa(?), and transfer you. Duressa will take your address and put the appropriate forms in the mail immediately. She also explained that two forms need to be filled out. The first cannot be signed by the mother. The second needs to be signed by someone other than the person signing the first- the mother, for example. This form does need to be notarized.

All the paperwork needs to be postmarked within ten days of the birth. After ten days, a third form is needed.

Very friendly woman. She gave me her direct line when I mentioned that it was difficult to find this information. If anyone in Washington needs it, feel free to PM me!

#14 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
awsome info, thanks
I had to jump thru many hoops to get our BC and had to deal with Olympia, this was around Chirstmas 04', and the one and only women who seemed to deal with homebirth/uc BC's was on Holidays. This is good info to know, I will definatley pass it on to other mamas who I know who will be going UC. Another WA mama here!
#15 of 18 Old 08-24-2006, 09:23 PM
XM

That is good to know, although to be honest, I felt safer waiting till after the fact to make it known that we birth unattended. Who can accuse you of being reckless if *cough* the baby arrives *cough* before the midwife (ever) does?

Maybe I am just paranoid, but I do know that CPS does not look fondly upon UCers.
#16 of 18 Old 08-25-2006, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

I did worry about it a bit... and if the woman who actually sent me the papers seemed less friendly/accepting of the concept, I'd probably have not given her my address. I guess I'll take the chance.... Papers arrived today in the mail, so I suppose I could have waited until after the birth.

#17 of 18 Old 08-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

Thanks, erinbird, for the info I hope to be living in Washington when she arrives, so you've just helped me out a lot.

As far as CPS goes, does anyone know how much they frown upon UC, particularly in Washington? I know we've all heard horror stories, but does that make it the norm?? From this post, it sounds to me like the state of Washington is pretty friendly about it now.

Even if CPS is still ignorant about this, why should we be afraid? The people who work for CPS are typically good people who have a soft spot for kids. They are not people who *want* to take our babies away...some are just ill-informed or ignorant. They just want to make sure our babies are healthy and well-cared for. There's no reason to be scared. In fact, by acting defensive and afraid we are instilling within them the sense that we are hiding something. They're just people, just folks who are doing their job. If we start seeing them that way rather than people to be feared then real change can begin.
#18 of 18 Old 08-25-2006, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly don't know what the climate is truly like here.

Part of the reason that I've kept my plans prett ymuch under wraps is because I can see my relatives calling in a complaint out of "concern" for me and the baby, based soley on what they imagine to be a totally uneducated decision (which it isn't). I believe that CPS needs to follow up on any complaint made- and UP/UC is pretty out there for some people. A planned UC can be misinterpreted as abuse or medical neglect, even though it is a valid and legal choice.

I think it simply boils down to chance. If there is an issue or a complaint- you can get a reasonable CPS worker (as many are) who takes a few moments to figure out that you/your partner aren't crazy and closes the case... but sometimes information gets misinterpreted and things get out of control.

I don't anticipate any issues with my UC though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page