UC b/c of finances? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-07-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long story short... we just unexpectedly lost our insurance coverage and are now looking at $1800-$3000 to have our baby at home. Not do-able, so we are considering UC. Anyone chose this route because of finances? I am not opposed toit and have certainly considered it, but not sure at this point! I am feeling a little overwhelmed.: Thoughts would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 07-07-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Guess I should add that we were planning a homebirth already... our last was also a homebirth. I also feel confident that I have quite a bit of general birth knowledge, being a doula.... just so you know where we are coming from.
#3 of 19 Old 07-07-2006, 06:40 PM

Technically, yes. We probably would have had a midwife if we had had the money. I've got insurance through the state, but it doesn't cover out of hospital births, and we couldn't do the midwife fees, so it wasn't an option. Extremely glad we didn't have the money now, my UC was amazing and a midwife, or anyone there, would have mucked it up royally.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#4 of 19 Old 07-07-2006, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

What did you do to prepare? Had you birthed at home before? I am feeling confident in my heart, but then I let my thoughts get in the way! WOuld you share your experience? DId you use someone for prenatal care?

Thanks!
#5 of 19 Old 07-09-2006, 11:34 AM

I think your confidence level is the most important thing. Read The Power of Pleasurable Childbirth-great book. I almost had a UC with my first baby partially for financial reasons and I wish I would have. This time it's less about finances and more about philosophy.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#6 of 19 Old 07-09-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear3
What did you do to prepare? Had you birthed at home before? I am feeling confident in my heart, but then I let my thoughts get in the way! WOuld you share your experience? DId you use someone for prenatal care?

Thanks!
My birth story for this one is on the first page of birth stories. I started out the pregnancy planning a hospital birth with the doctor who saw me for #3 (in which he almost died at birth from the interventions and the nurse's innattentiveness)... I quickly tired of the 2 minute office visits where he spent more time talking to DH, and tried another provider before settling on #3. During this time, I came upon MDC. Homebirth was a no-way for awhile because my dad lives with us and I don't really like him, very uncomfortable around him, but the more I researched and thought about it, the more I realized I was more uncomfortable with the thought of everything that goes with a doctor managed birth, then having my dad in the same area.

We looked for a midwife, but couldn't find one we could afford, so I slowly talked DH into a UC. He wasn't fully on board until after the birth though He was scared about what if's. I spent alot of time researching complications (mostly hemmorhage as I'm a bleeder) and figured statistics aside (that show homebirth and UC safe), that I'd be better off at home, safer at home. I did see the OB off and on, just enough she didn' forget me.

And I was right. There was no pain relief option, I couldn't get an epi and get started on that slippery slope. I couldn't get pitocin, which I was convinced caused my hemmorhaging (and it looks like I was right, this was the only birth I didn't bleed excessively), I was able to do everything my way. I did need to go to the hospital afterward for a tear, but I asserted my authority over my body and my baby and it turned out just fine.

Your best bet is to ditch the what-ifs and just educate yourself on what you know will happen. If you go into it educated and confident, then even if complications happen, you'll know how to handle them and can react appropriately.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#7 of 19 Old 07-09-2006, 03:11 PM

I always wanted a UC, but not having insurance was what pushed my ultra-conservative dh to agree.
#8 of 19 Old 07-10-2006, 01:39 PM

LAck of finances to pay a midwife and already having insurance that covered a hospital birth is what led me to UC with my last birth. My dp refused to even visit with the midwife and said you do what you have to do, (leave me out of it is what I heard him saying) So I read all I could about UC. I went to the OB a total of 3 times after the third time I decided I wasnt going back to sit in a waiting room for an hour and a half to wait for them to weigh me, pee in a cup, and check my blood pressure. I saw the doc for all of 2 minutes literally and it wasnt even "my" doc. After the decision was made in my mind I just kept reading. There is tons of information on the web. This site was my most used resource. I spoke with a friend of mine about coming over to watch my kids and catch the baby if need be and she agreed. She was the only one who knew about my plan to UC. Everyone else assumed I was going to the hospital, including dp. The morning I woke up in labor I got out of bed and was rocking on my ball waiting for dp to go off to work. I called my girlfriend to head over first thing in the am, and she got here right as dp was leaving. I had the baby about an hour after dp left for work, and called him right away. Boy was he suprised. He didnt beleive me at first and then asked if I was ok and if I needed to go to the hospital. After I assured him everything was great he said he'd be home in a little bit. I am not sure he will participate in this UC either but he knows this time around that I will be planning to have this one at home by myself or with my friend present. IT is ok by me if he doesnt want to be there its his choice, but it is my choice on how and where I birth, as I am the one doing the laboring and it is my body that has to push this baby out.

I got together a kit with some puppy piddle pads, sterilized scissors(that I had boiled myself) and a brand new pair of shoelaces for tying the cord and cutting. I bought a vinyl table cloth to lay down on the floor under the piddle pads so I could roll the mess up and throw it away!I got clean towels and baby blankets. I also had a bowl on hand for the placenta. That was it. Its not that complicated once you figure out you dont really need all that much. I put it all together in a tote and had it in the room I planned to birth in. Once I had it all together I just kept reading reading reading to educate myself!
#9 of 19 Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 PM

i never would have even thought about uc-ing if medicaide would have paide for a homebirth. since i started doing my research, though, i'm also so glad that we didn't have the money for a midwife because i've learned so much in the past months and gained so much confidence in myself and my dh. we're expecting any day now. i agree that it's all about your confidence level and also about making the best decision for your child and yourself that is available to you. if midwife isn't available and your only options are hospital or uc, then you have to deal with those options and decide which would be safest.
#10 of 19 Old 07-10-2006, 10:34 PM

My journey to UC began because I didnt like the hospital I was at, so I searched for a birth center. I wanted a homebirth but couldnt afford it. Found MDC, found this forum, did lots of reading, research, and soul-searching. Decided that UC was what I wanted to do, regardless of finances, but finances played a big role in my discovery of UC.

Creating Art. Living life on Guam. Sharing my Journey.

#11 of 19 Old 07-10-2006, 11:01 PM

I had UC because I refuse to go to a hospital. The cost of a midwife, for the most part was not do-able for us, and a UC was our only option.

Before my first baby was conceived, I had already decided on homebirths. That was what was planned from the beginning, however the "assistant" part was not really worked out. I just knew that I would be doing a home birth.

I had a MW for one of my eight births. After that birth, I felt that the money I spent for her "expertise" was wasted (and I had a huge discount, and only paid her $200). However, I did all the work, she just caught the baby. So I figured, why spend all that money (and for me $200 is a LOT of money, not that I could ever get another MW for that amount) when she did nothing for me, and I felt inhibited with her there. So we decided that UC was the only option that I wanted, unless there were emergency circumstances. I have never regretted my decision.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#12 of 19 Old 07-10-2006, 11:09 PM

I'm lucky that a home or hospital birth with a midwife or doctor is completely covered by the government, so it wasn't a factor in my decision.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#13 of 19 Old 07-11-2006, 05:53 PM

Hi! First post here! Me and DH were looking at a $5000 hospital birth. And that's WITH insurance!: We just don't have that kind of money unless we sell everything we own. (And even then, I'm sure we'd come up short!)

I don't want anything to do with hospital. Watching my sister give birth to my niece was an absolute horror! She was induced, had an epidural, was given a cath in the wrong place ( and was given an episiotomy (sp?) without her permission. Then the baby was taken from her right away! She didn't even get 5 min. with her child! :

Let me tell you, I was ready to run for the hills when I found I was pg!!! I honestly didn't know that there was any other way. Thank all that's holy that I went looking for cloth diapers! That eventually led me to to many fab UC sites and this forum.

I can't tell you how relieved I was to make the uc/hb decision and get dh on board. It was like a ton of bricks being lifted from my shoulders! My nightmares have turned into wonderful dreams! I even called and cancelled my OB appt. today.

This is my first (very big suprise) pg. and very probably my last. (I'm 31, DH is 47 and thinks he's to old.) I really want it to be something extra special and super wonderful. Not treated like a disease, not like a medical experiment.

So, all in all, my finances really had alot to do with choosing uc. We wanted cheaper diapering options and found the way for us to have a peaceful, happy pregnancy that I'm acutally looking forward to.

Cheers to the little bundle due sometime in Feb. of '07. I can't wait to meet you on terms I won't regret.

Kat
#14 of 19 Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 PM

I briefly thought about an UC, but decided against it. My last labor & birth was extremely long & exhausting (hospital birth)-I don't know if I could do that again without some sort of outside help besides my DH & my doula. Mentally, I need that m/w there.

We decided on a simple homebirth that will be all out of pocket & not touching our insurance. It is going to wipe us out financially over the course of the next few months, but DH is 100% on board. He would totally freak with an UC . I don't know what we would do if our insurance were canceled.

Being a doula, you have a first hand knowledge of what happens during birth & being comfortable around it. We know what is normal & what isn't.

Trust your instincts and do your research. If you find that UC is what calls to you, then go with it

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#15 of 19 Old 07-13-2006, 12:42 AM

We're barely above water enough to pay our midwife's bill, and if she wasn't the awesomest midwife ever, we'd probably save the $1800 and UC. But I feel so much confidence when I'm around her and her spirit is something I'd like at the birth, so we're coming up with this money somehow. But if something were to happen to prevent her ability to be at our birth, we would not go to the hospital for many reasons, financial reasons being one of the top concerns. We'd uc.
#16 of 19 Old 07-13-2006, 01:02 AM

If UC isn't your first choice, I'd encourage trying to look at other options. Have you considered a payment plan or payment in trade? I just don't think UC is a good idea if deep down you'd feel more comfortable with a midwife.
#17 of 19 Old 07-13-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for your thoughts. We still haven't decided what to do!

Part of me wants to go UC. For some reason it really appeals to me this time around. I never even considered it last time. We have had a really hard time deciding on a midwife. I interviewed with lots and it just never felt right. When I found out our ins would cover one in particular, I interviewed with her, liked her and went with it. Now I am wondering what that was all about!

Part of the problem is that I am a doula! I guess I am lacking trust in care providers. I like my midwife as a I never have to argue about anything. She is always on board, but I worry about that in labor. Having seen as much as I have, I worry about not getting what I want because my midwife has a different plan... KWIM?

My biggest opstacle is my dh. He "says" whatever I want is fine, but I am seriously doubting his abilities in labor! He definetely would be better because my doula would be there, but I have been reading alot of birth stories and still am concerned! Lots of stories talk about dh's checking cervical dialation, or pushing back a cerv. lip, etc and I am not sure he coula emotionally hold up doing that. Ofcouse, I might be surprised, but is it fair to do that to him?

Also... I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL!!!! I guess my final decision would really depend on my ability to find a midwife willing to come if complications arose, or post partum if I had a retained placenta or such. I just would hate to transfer and end up not only with the absolute pain in the a## that that would be, plus the $$ cost!

I really don't think I would consider it just b/c of finances, but it is certainly pushing me in that direction.

Ok, rambling now. Not sure where to go. Just avoiding the decision isn't solving it! OH well. I will decide eventually! Thanks for the help!
#18 of 19 Old 07-14-2006, 02:51 AM

I would not worry about what your husband will feel comfortable doing. The fact is that he does not need to DO anything for you to have a sucessfull UC. There is no need to check dialation, and if you "pant" through your early pushing urges (the ones that you do not HAVE to push for) you will probably not end up with a lip. That happens many times when you begin to push too soon.

The joy of UC is that you allow your body to do what it needs to do. You are not replacing the monitoring of the nurses with the monitoring of your DH. UC is all about trusting your own body to just do what comes natural.

Of course, if you feel that you need a MW, then go for it. For me, a MW just becomes another distraction that hinders my labor. My baby will come out without anyone checking how far dialated I am, or telling me when to push. My baby will come out when he/she is ready, and not a moment before. (They are stubborn that way!)

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#19 of 19 Old 07-14-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear3
Part of me wants to go UC. For some reason it really appeals to me this time around. I never even considered it last time.
Well, this sounds to me like it might be about more than the finances. Keep thinking about it, see where it takes you.

Quote:
Having seen as much as I have, I worry about not getting what I want because my midwife has a different plan... KWIM?
Totally!

Quote:
Lots of stories talk about dh's checking cervical dialation, or pushing back a cerv. lip, etc and I am not sure he coula emotionally hold up doing that. Ofcouse, I might be surprised, but is it fair to do that to him?
Well, no, it's not, and sweetie, it wouldn't be a UC then either. You'd still have someone acting as a midwife, even if they weren't professionally trained to do so. It seems to me too that the frustration level might be even higher in terms of not being able to get what you want, if you have expectations of your birth attendant that they have no experience in being able to fill whatsoever.

Quote:
Ok, rambling now. Not sure where to go. Just avoiding the decision isn't solving it!
You ask all the questions you need to, and feel free to PM too if you want.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page