Harvesting your own red raspberry leaves? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-22-2006, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a red raspberry bush and a yellow raspberry bush growing in the backyard. This is probaby going to sound like a stupid question, but can I just use the leaves off the red one and make tea out of them? Right now I take capsules (3 daily, as I'm around 30weeks or so right now) but if the fresh tea makes me feel less sick than the one brewed from a box I'd be much happier about it!

If I can harvest the leaves, how do I and in what measurements? How do I dry them? Do I just set them out in the sun? I've never done anything like that before.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-22-2006, 08:58 PM

You'll need more fresh leaves to make the same strength tea as dry ones, but otherwise they should work fine. Maybe do a quick check on the latin names of the RRL that's for sale versus the type of plant you've got at home (if you know the name). Definitely check if yellow raspberries are the same as red--nutrionally speaking that is. Try 2 handfuls per quart brewed for several hours. As long as you're getting a good dark color, it's probably strong enough. I like to add some mint leaves from the garden to my teapot with the RRL, makes it tasty! I add about 1/4 cup of mint leaves to pot of tea.

Horticulturally speaking, you probably do *not* want to completely strip the leaves off any cane that you want to grow next year. And canes you're going to prune to the ground this year shouldn't be denuded until they're done bearing fruit. Obviously, if you have *lots* and *lots* of canes you could just declare "these are for tea".
#3 of 3 Old 07-22-2006, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!!

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page