Mothering Forum banner

Antibiotics while pregnant?

9K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  boscopup 
#1 ·
Okay, so I've been sick for over a week now.
I'm about 37 weeks along. (I'm so close, I can hardly wait!!)
I don't really have access to many herbs or natural remedies, because of living overseas. The base doesn't carry them, and I have't found a place off-base that sells herbs yet, and even if I did, I don't know the Japanese names for the herbs I want.

It started with a runny nose, progressed to a really aweful sore throat, and now I am dry coughing, which hurts like heck on my sore throat! It's in my ears, and my chest now too.
I have had chronic sinus infections most of my life. They often progress into the throat and chest. (I don't know if this is a sinus infection, or just a really aweful cold)
If I wasn't pregnant, this is the point I would go get some antibiotics from the doctor. My past history tells me that if I am not getting better by this point, There is a good chance I won't on my own for a very long time (like 2-3 months)

I don't want to take anything while I'm pregnant, but I really feel that I need to get better, so I have the energy I will need for this birth. This illness is completely draining me, and I feel horrible.
Is there anything wrong with antibiotics this close to birth?
The last thing in the world that I want is to be sick and go into labor.
I feel intuitively that I need to get better, and I also can tell that I'm not getting better on my own.
I could really use some advice, and if anyybody has info on the possible dangers of antibiotics (especially this close to birth) I would really apreciate it. I know that the doctor will most likely not give me all the info I will want.

thanks,
~Moose

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't like the idea of antibiotics, and I especially don't like them durring pregnancy.

HOWEVER, if you know your body and know that it will not be gone before birth, I would get them NOW! You know your personal history and how you are effected by this particular illness, so I would trust that instinct. You have very little time before birth, and an infection late in pregnancy can start labor. But if you took antibiotics now, you should clear it up before the birth with enough time for your body to work them out and not cause any problmes with the baby.

Trust your instincts. You DO need to be on top of your game when you go into labor, otherwise you could end up with complications and a baby that has an infection too.

#5 ·
I strongly dislike antibiotics and avoid them unless absolutely necessary. When I was 21 or 22 weeks PG I was diagnosed with bacterial strep throat. DD and DH also had it. For me, it was important to take antibiotics at that time so that it didn't turn into a worse infection that could interfere with my pregnancy, and so that the three of us didn't start passing it around to each other again. I'm allergic to Penicillan (what they usually recommend for PG women) so I was RX'd Azithromycin (sp?) in the form called a "Z-Pack". I only had to take 5 days worth, but it apparently kept working through day 10. I hated having to do that, but for me the flip side was too risky. I think you have to go with what you know is best for your body based on your history. I'd feel safer taking antibiotics at your stage in pregnancy than I had to. I really wished I was farther along when I got sick.

#6 ·
I would try raw garlic first for a few days and see if that will knock out the infection. I would only take antibiotics as a true last resort especially so close to delivery. When I take raw garlic I just cut a clove or two into small pieces and swallow it. I do that twice a day until I'm better which usually does not take long. Garlic is particularly good for chest infections!

#7 ·
Me, personally, I would never take antibiotics, barring a severe emergency.

I would try the garlic.

Also, depending on where you are, I think you can get herbs and remedies online, shipped to you.

If you feel antibiotics are the only way, try colloidal silver.

#8 ·
I never take antibodics. When I did in the past, before I was old enough to refuse them, they always just made me more sick that I was. But, I suppose not everyone reacts that way to them.

I agree with a pp- I would take raw garlic.

Perhaps boil some water and hold your head over it with a towel to loosen up the congestion? That's what my mother's doctor recommended she do when she had a terrible cold during her pregnancy with me.

#9 ·
I've been doing the Garlic, and Vitamin C thing for awhile now, it hasn't been enough to help me get better.

I finally went to my family doctor, (I find them so much nicer than OBs) I told her that I was uncomfortable with antibiotics, and asked her if she thought I should have them. She said that she would test me for strep, and as long as I tested negative, then no, I wouldn't need antibiotics.

I'll know for sure on the test today or tomorrow. (however, I have a feeling that it's negative)
I'm comfortable with this, strep is not something that you want to mess with when pregnant, so I will do the antibiotics if it's posotive.
I hope I get better soon, I want to be full strength for this little person to come into the world!

Thanks for all the replies!
~Moose

#12 ·
I was given antibiotics for 4 days prior to delivery DS (PPROM at 29 weeks - likely cause is infection, although we never found any). DS didn't seem to have any issues related to the antibiotics. I did give him probiotics after he came home though. He had reflux (common in preemies), and I had read somewhere that antibiotics during labor might contribute to that, so that's when I started the probiotics for him. I don't know if you can get probiotics where you are though... might have time to order them online? You'd want to take them yourself after you're done with the antibiotics and also give them to baby later.

Of course, if the doctor thinks you can avoid antibiotics, by all means do! But if you end up needing them, I think sometimes you have to pick the lesser of 2 evils, and taking antibiotics vs. being horribly sick for 2-3 months... I'd choose the antibiotics, personally.

I hope you feel better soon and that it's not strep!!! Definitely don't need strep at 37 weeks preg. Yuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.